The Student Room Group

still dont know what do in life

i have no idea what i want to be yet, i have no career in mind and im in year 12 and we will soon be picking universities and im just lost and i feel pressured everytime my teacher talks about ucas and applying can someone give me some advice or tips please.
Original post by Maysoun_x
i have no idea what i want to be yet, i have no career in mind and im in year 12 and we will soon be picking universities and im just lost and i feel pressured everytime my teacher talks about ucas and applying can someone give me some advice or tips please.

You don't need to go to uni after year 13. Take a gap year or two. Use the gap year to really decide what you want to do. Don't go to uni just because everyone else is.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't need to go to uni after year 13. Take a gap year or two. Use the gap year to really decide what you want to do. Don't go to uni just because everyone else is.

Thank you this gave me a bit of hope, i think i might take this into consideration
Thank you this gave me a bit of hope, i think i might take this into consideration

no you will. going to uni just for the sake of it is a school boy error and unfortunately too common.
you're so young don't beat yourself up about it. its absurd that they expect you to know what you wanna do at 17. don't rush into something you're not certain about. heck even take a gap yah or two.

to give you a starting point; do you want to make money and have a career? if yes, study something like a degree apprenticeship, medicine, nursing, allied health, dentistry, engineering, comp sci or accounting. you'll have no problems making $$ straight out of uni. if yes but don't wanna go to uni, consider the trades, apprenticeships, starting a business or joining the army. if no, study whatever interests you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Omg thank you for this post! I am in the exact same boat as you, 17 and in grade 12 with not a clue on what I want to become in the future. Hopefully I could also use the advice you are given on here
Reply 6
Original post by rickyrossman
you're so young don't beat yourself up about it. its absurd that they expect you to know what you wanna do at 17. don't rush into something you're not certain about. heck even take a gap yah or two.

to give you a starting point; do you want to make money and have a career? if yes, study something like a degree apprenticeship, medicine, nursing, allied health, dentistry, engineering, comp sci or accounting. you'll have no problems making $$ straight out of uni. if yes but don't wanna go to uni, consider the trades, apprenticeships, starting a business or joining the army. if no, study whatever interests you.

exactly, they put too much pressure about what we want to do at my school but i do want to go to uni just dont know what i want to study yet and im not sure im ready to get a career yet but thank you for the advice.
Reply 7
Original post by Rockitty99
Omg thank you for this post! I am in the exact same boat as you, 17 and in grade 12 with not a clue on what I want to become in the future. Hopefully I could also use the advice you are given on here

thank god im not the only one everyone in my class seems to know what they want to do and i feel left behind like i need some kind of spark to know what i know im going to enjoy for the rest of my life.
thank god im not the only one everyone in my class seems to know what they want to do and i feel left behind like i need some kind of spark to know what i know im going to enjoy for the rest of my life.

My 2 cents:
Don't feel pressured to go straight to uni, tell your teachers you wanna take a gap year instead. Make a list of careers you think you'd be interested in doing in the future and use your gap year to try them out. E.g. if you think you might be interested in medicine or nursing use your gap year to work as a healthcare assistant. :smile: If you think you might be interested in computer programming, use your gap year to take some online software courses and maybe even start a business. Don't rush getting into uni doing something that you're not 100% committed to.

Quick Reply

Latest