Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a GCSE student currently looking to apply for sixth forms and colleges and was wondering the difference in studying A-level maths in England vs Wales. I was informed by a sixth form college in England that all English sixth forms/colleges do a-level maths by teaching the course for the whole two years then do an exam at the end of it all, whereas in Wales you do each module of the maths then an exam at the end of each one as you progress, as well as being able to re-sit modules you don't do so well in. I don't know if I've misunderstood or if this is really how to systems work. I live in Wales however there is a sixth form college nearby in England which I loved, but I don't really understand how they teach maths and if it would be best for me to study in Wales.. please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by art3mls)
    I'm a GCSE student currently looking to apply for sixth forms and colleges and was wondering the difference in studying A-level maths in England vs Wales. I was informed by a sixth form college in England that all English sixth forms/colleges do a-level maths by teaching the course for the whole two years then do an exam at the end of it all, whereas in Wales you do each module of the maths then an exam at the end of each one as you progress, as well as being able to re-sit modules you don't do so well in. I don't know if I've misunderstood or if this is really how to systems work. I live in Wales however there is a sixth form college nearby in England which I loved, but I don't really understand how they teach maths and if it would be best for me to study in Wales.. please help!

A level reform in England does mean maths A level is linear with the full content tested at the end. Your understanding needs a slight clarification for Wales.
    "in Wales you do each module of the maths then an exam at the end of each one as you progress"
    This could imply you can take the unit exams at any time when you have finished a unit and feel ready. Its not that flexible. In Wales maths is still a unitised qualification. You can (and most people will) take 2 AS unit exams in the summer at the end of the first year that count 40% towards the final A level grade. You would take the A2 unit exams the following summer. You can retake unit exams once to try to improve your grade.
    The content you have to learn is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    A level reform in England does mean maths A level is linear with the full content tested at the end. Your understanding needs a slight clarification for Wales.
    "in Wales you do each module of the maths then an exam at the end of each one as you progress"
    This could imply you can take the unit exams at any time when you have finished a unit and feel ready. Its not that flexible. In Wales maths is still a unitised qualification. You can (and most people will) take 2 AS unit exams in the summer at the end of the first year that count 40% towards the final A level grade. You would take the A2 unit exams the following summer. You can retake unit exams once to try to improve your grade.
    The content you have to learn is the same
    Thank you for your reply. From the way I'm looking at it it seems that studying in Wales would be better in terms of less pressure at the end of the two years by doing 40% in the first year, as well as reassurance that I can retake unit exams once. I'm curious to know your opinion on whether you think Wales has the better system in place for a-level maths or not.. I fell in love with the sixth form college I visited in England, but the idea of the linear system is making me not sure where to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by art3mls)
    Thank you for your reply. From the way I'm looking at it it seems that studying in Wales would be better in terms of less pressure at the end of the two years by doing 40% in the first year, as well as reassurance that I can retake unit exams once. I'm curious to know your opinion on whether you think Wales has the better system in place for a-level maths or not.. I fell in love with the sixth form college I visited in England, but the idea of the linear system is making me not sure where to go.
    I don't think its a big deal either way to be honest. In the welsh system It's not like you can just forget everything you learned for AS maths when you do the second year. Most of year 2 builds on from year 1 knowledge. I can see why you'd think the modular route might be a bit less pressure, especially for other subjects where it might reduce what you have to revise. Unless you have found you struggle to revise for exams I don't think I'd let it be a major factor in choosing where i studied.

ReputationRep:
    Wales is just using what is now called old spec in England.
    I'm doing old spec (as I started 2016) so doing 6 modules. I took 3 last year and 3 this year plus resits. as the old spec is ending, I have only next year to do any resits before the end.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    Wales is just using what is now called old spec in England.
    I'm doing old spec (as I started 2016) so doing 6 modules. I took 3 last year and 3 this year plus resits. as the old spec is ending, I have only next year to do any resits before the end.
    Not really.
    Wales is introducing a new specification with the same content as that in England. The split in marks is 40% from AS and 60% from A2 and there are limitations on the number of resits to one per unit. So not really old spec from England at all.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.