Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Most irritating things you've seen on LinkedIn? watch

ReputationRep:
    Been browsing the service for the first time in ages, and I can't believe the sheer amount of cancer I've seen in my feed and on other people's profiles.

I'll just make a list and you can all add to it and we can engage in yet another mutual agreement thread:

- People who put enough detail into one Open Day that would have be more than necessary for an entire summer vac scheme

- People who put 'Incoming Open Day' as their description

- People who put vague, tryhard crap in their descriptions (e.g. "I put 110% effort into my degree" or "I wish to become an international lawyer" )

- People who use silly words like "love" when describing their interest for the most mundane aspects of corporate work (e.g. I "love" or "have a passion for" corporate governance)

- People who awkwardly post congratulations on the feeds of people who they've never spoken to or met

- People who post vague self-promotional advice like "never let a day be lost!" and get likes in return

- People who share actual entertainment videos (like Jay Leno testing out the new Bugatti)

- People who put each of their extracurriculars as "work experience", when they're clearly not. Being the captain of the second netball team isn't work experience. Neither is being on your university's UC team.

- People who lie about the schemes they attended. I've seen undergrads who attended the HSF, Linklaters, A&O, etc two-day schemes referring to them as "legal internships". As if a glorified open day + work shadowing session could count as that.

- Irrelevant people who endorse their equally irrelevant classmates ("I've worked with <insert mate here> in a class project, he's really diligent and proactive!!!" )

ReputationRep:
    'Incoming Open Day' Looool
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is beyond accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz007)
    'Incoming Open Day' Looool
    Even if you're a first year law student with no legal work experience, I'm sure that "first year law student" or "undergrad law student at X" would have been far more appropriate.

But I'm not lying - I've seen it on 3 profiles this morning

*shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    What is that..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by .Iqra.)
    What is that..
    Think of it as facebook, but for professional careers. In reality though it’s full of just a bunch of failures who brag about measly achievements.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the system.
    Anybody who has worked or is working in a corporate job regardless of industry will find that its full of lies/pretence and as a friend put it "pure bullshttery"
    I personally hate the whole idea of linkedin.
    But that is another story.
    Just laugh and move on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Been browsing the service for the first time in ages, and I can't believe the sheer amount of cancer I've seen in my feed and on other people's profiles.

I'll just make a list and you can all add to it and we can engage in yet another mutual agreement thread:

- People who put enough detail into one Open Day that would have be more than necessary for an entire summer vac scheme

- People who put 'Incoming Open Day' as their description

- People who put vague, tryhard crap in their descriptions (e.g. "I put 110% effort into my degree" or "I wish to become an international lawyer" )

- People who use silly words like "love" when describing their interest for the most mundane aspects of corporate work (e.g. I "love" or "have a passion for" corporate governance)

- People who awkwardly post congratulations on the feeds of people who they've never spoken to or met

- People who post vague self-promotional advice like "never let a day be lost!" and get likes in return

- People who share actual entertainment videos (like Jay Leno testing out the new Bugatti)

- People who put each of their extracurriculars as "work experience", when they're clearly not. Being the captain of the second netball team isn't work experience. Neither is being on your university's UC team.

- People who lie about the schemes they attended. I've seen undergrads who attended the HSF, Linklaters, A&O, etc two-day schemes referring to them as "legal internships". As if a glorified open day + work shadowing session could count as that.

- Irrelevant people who endorse their equally irrelevant classmates ("I've worked with <insert mate here> in a class project, he's really diligent and proactive!!!" )
    People who put BSc/BA/MA/PhD/MBBS/LLB etc in the last name field of LinkedIn when you can list your degrees/education in the sections below...

e.g. John Doe BSc (people do that on Facebook as well)...

ReputationRep:
    From my experience the law profession is full of idiots in much greater percentage than other professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Someone who puts BSc/BA/MA/PhD/MBBS/LLB etc in the last name field of LinkedIn when you can list your degrees/education in the sections below...

i.e. John Doe BSc (people do that on Facebook as well)...
    So true! I've seen at least a few "LLB (Hons)" after peoples' names... as if that is enough of an achievement in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    People who put BSc/BA/MA/PhD/MBBS/LLB etc in the last name field of LinkedIn when you can list your degrees/education in the sections below...

e.g. John Doe BSc (people do that on Facebook as well)...
    sad
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    sad
    I find it hilarious tbh:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verier)
    From my experience the law profession is full of idiots in much greater percentage than other professions.
    Hahaha yes, the people who post on their social media profiles the Solicitors name like Williams&Co solicitors, when they're clearly just tea cup girl or a very low level and inexperienced paralegal hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    People who add candidates from the apprentice...

Unbelievably lame.

ReputationRep:
    tea cup girl lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you're going into law, banking, or some other job that ends with you being a corporate sell-out, being pretentious and a little obnoxious is part of it

Although "incoming open day" or "john doe BSc" is pretty bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verier)
    I don't disagree I blame the greater internal variation within the profession. The investment banking (or generally high finance) crowd seems to be far more careful with regard to what it posts online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    So true! I've seen at least a few "LLB (Hons)" after peoples' names... as if that is enough of an achievement in itself.
    It is an achievement in itself, I currently study it and you can go on to do good things with it. Personally find it so embarrassing when people post 'LLB' 'BA Hons' etc etc, like its fine being proud of it but they aren't even titles like Professor or Doctor - I think thats fine, as its a high level achievement and most of the time they aren't bragging etc its so people know who they are and what they do in an organisation, that goes more for Linked in though and not Facebook lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    It is an achievement in itself, I currently study it and you can go on to do good things with it. Personally find it so embarrassing when people post 'LLB' 'BA Hons' etc etc, like its fine being proud of it but they aren't even titles like Professor or Doctor - I think thats fine, as its a high level achievement and most of the time they aren't bragging etc its so people know who they are and what they do in an organisation, that goes more for Linked in though and not Facebook lol.
    So do I, but my point is that it isn't enough of an achievement to go at the end of your LinkedIn name. As you said, it's more highly selective titles (ranging from Dr to Prof to QC to OBE) that truly make you stand out from the crowd. A 'BA' or 'LLB' doesn't. Everyone and their dog has one from somewhere.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.