Turn on thread page Beta

Most irritating things you've seen on LinkedIn? watch

ReputationRep:
    Old woman and men who possibly have spouses that flirt. Like it's meant to be LinkedIn and not Tinder and stay loyal for godsake.

Bumlicks. Someone puts a post about success or whatever and you get loads of bumlicks trying to suck up........I wouldn't be surprised if the OP got a pm afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    BPTCs who have themselves in a wig as their profile pic.

People who use the full "Upper Class Second Division".

Open Days. People who post 40 of them thinking it looks impressive. Usually fills up their profile and makes it difficult to find the relevant stuff.

People who use LinkedIn generally get on my tits, including myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    tea cup girl lol
    Lol but, I bet its what they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Lol but, I bet its what they are.
    just an ego boost
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't spend any time on it so I dunno.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The fake account I once made.:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    just an ego boost
    Embarrassing, if they actually studied Law or had any Law knowledge, they probably wouldn't want to put that in their Bio hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Is it odd or sad to not have one. I've always worked on and off but never had any full-time job worthy of mentioning so i don't have an account there. even my CV is full of lies and over-exaggerations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    So do I, but my point is that it isn't enough of an achievement to go at the end of your LinkedIn name. As you said, it's more highly selective titles (ranging from Dr to Prof to QC to OBE) that truly make you stand out from the crowd. A 'BA' or 'LLB' doesn't. Everyone and their dog has one from somewhere.
    Maybe I took your first sentence the wrong way. But, agree 100%. Why do you need to put that anyway? Do people who put LLB (Hons) actually continue to study Law or find a career in Law, or do they become a waitress/waiter and put that in their profile to make it 'look' more impressive? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    BPTCs who have themselves in a wig as their profile pic.
    I'll add one to that:: people who post pictures of them meeting <insert appeals court judge> at some event where they shook their hand.

Katie King from Legal Cheek is a culprit.

People who use the full "Upper Class Second Division".
    I think that my favourite is people who use "upper 2:1". If you're generous, that could mean a "high 2:1". If you're more cynical and realistic, it means that the person doesn't know what the '1' in "2:1" is supposed to represent.

Open Days. People who post 40 of them thinking it looks impressive. Usually fills up their profile and makes it difficult to find the relevant stuff.
    Particularly when the open day descriptions are of a similar length to those of the actual work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delusion6)
    Is it odd or sad to not have one. I've always worked on and off but never had any full-time job worthy of mentioning so i don't have an account there. even my CV is full of lies and over-exaggerations
    Shouldn't lie on a CV. The employer will find out. Its not hard to build up a good CV. But don't ******** with things like 'open days' hahaha, Placements, work experience or any training in the field you want to go into are worth mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    People who subscribe to the premium membership on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delusion6)
    Not at all. Linkedin is the playground of professional services wannabes.

Interestingly enough, it's the senior generation that has really underdeveloped profiles. The more senior you get, the less detail you put on it.*

TL;DR for us youngsters, it's a way to show off and stalk other people

Spoiler:
    Show

*the exception being if you're one of those people who want to be headhunted

ReputationRep:
    I'll add one to that:: people who post pictures of them meeting <insert appeals court judge> at some event where they shook their hand.

Katie King from Legal Cheek is a culprit.

I think that my favourite is people who use "upper 2:1". If you're generous, that could mean a "high 2:1". If you're more cynical and realistic, it means that the person doesn't know what the '1' in "2:1" is supposed to represent.
    Hahahaha, I love Katie King's articles. The comments ripping her apart always make me smile. Full-on QCs taking time out of their day to slate her writing style and correct the law stated in her articles. It makes the insipid articles almost worthwhile reads.

Or 1:1. That always gets a shake of the head.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Linkedin is the playground of professional services wannabes.

Interestingly enough, it's the senior generation that has really underdeveloped profiles. The more senior you get, the less detail you put on it.*

TL;DR for us youngsters, it's a way to show off and stalk other people

Spoiler:
    Show

*the exception being if you're one of those people who want to be headhunted

phew, thats ok then. thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha, I love Katie King's articles. The comments ripping her apart always make me smile. Full-on QCs taking time out of their day to slate her writing style and correct the law stated in her articles. It makes the insipid articles almost worthwhile reads.
    I only go on Legal Cheek for the comments. It's a shame that the Frustrated Writer seems to have abandoned us

Or 1:1. That always gets a shake of the head.
    You mean that there's no such thing as an Upper First?????

ReputationRep:
    I am guilty of at least one 😇

ReputationRep:
    Been browsing the service for the first time in ages, and I can't believe the sheer amount of cancer I've seen in my feed and on other people's profiles.

I'll just make a list and you can all add to it and we can engage in yet another mutual agreement thread:

- People who put enough detail into one Open Day that would have be more than necessary for an entire summer vac scheme

- People who put 'Incoming Open Day' as their description

- People who put vague, tryhard crap in their descriptions (e.g. "I put 110% effort into my degree" or "I wish to become an international lawyer" )

- People who use silly words like "love" when describing their interest for the most mundane aspects of corporate work (e.g. I "love" or "have a passion for" corporate governance)

- People who awkwardly post congratulations on the feeds of people who they've never spoken to or met

- People who post vague self-promotional advice like "never let a day be lost!" and get likes in return

- People who share actual entertainment videos (like Jay Leno testing out the new Bugatti)

- People who put each of their extracurriculars as "work experience", when they're clearly not. Being the captain of the second netball team isn't work experience. Neither is being on your university's UC team.

- People who lie about the schemes they attended. I've seen undergrads who attended the HSF, Linklaters, A&O, etc two-day schemes referring to them as "legal internships". As if a glorified open day + work shadowing session could count as that.

- Irrelevant people who endorse their equally irrelevant classmates ("I've worked with <insert mate here> in a class project, he's really diligent and proactive!!!" )
    Well I am guilty of at least one.

But if it helps, I’ve coached enough people to take most of these things out of their LinkedIn to probably make up for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Well I am guilty of at least one.

But if it helps, I’ve coached enough people to take most of these things out of their LinkedIn to probably make up for it
    I would have thought it to be the 'commenting on other people's posts' or the 'vague motivational stuff'... but then again I presume that you're addressing these to people who you've worked or networked with :P

I stalked a few more people today, only to find some additional things that irritated me >:/ I guess I'll have to list them down at some point to keep the thread going

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it to be the 'commenting on other people's posts' or the 'vague motivational stuff'... but then again I presume that you're addressing these to people who you've worked or networked with :P

I stalked a few more people today, only to find some additional things that irritated me >:/
    Yep - loads of commenting on others posts. It’s no different to what I do here though, it is just (supposedly) anonymous on here.

Don’t really do the vague motivational stuff. I’ll do the occasional humblebrag though which is worse in my opinion 😂

When I do catch up with people, I always seem to get “you’re so active on LinkedIn” comments a lot though. But I have to be for the sake of earning a buck.

My irritations will be a lot different to most people’s:

Humblebrags are the worst

People not updating their profile annoys me too (see so many headlines stating they are a student at X university and they graduated 2 or so years ago)

People who don’t tidy up their URL (that is my particularly peeve - no one else would find that annoying).

Anything personal - I don’t need to know about where you are going on holiday, how amazing your parents are, what your kids had for breakfast, that you feel guilty for being a working mum etc.

The “help me choose my logo” posts and other rubbish designed just to farm data and contacts.

People who message really long, detailed messages asking for loads of support/advice, without asking briefly whether I can help first (that happens on here too though). It’s worse when they aren’t even polite (a please and thank you are generally welcomed).

I’m sure there are more that I’ll agree with as others post.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.