Turn on thread page Beta

The worst thing about seeing a friend get into drugs... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...watching them take harder and harder drugs, more and more frequently, and knowing there is absolutely nothing you can do.

I have recently learned this the hard way. You do not go through university without losing at least one friend to drugs. It starts with weed. They do it once, probably out of curiosity. They say it's really not a big deal, since weed is "safe", and many people do weed without getting addicted. Under this mentality, they do weed again. And again. And again. And now it's become a regular thing. Then comes the point when weed is no longer doing it for them, and they move on to class A drugs.

Two friends have gone this way lately. One of them recently snorted coke at 1pm on a Monday afternoon. Just 12 months ago, they tried weed for the first time.

And you know there is absolutely nothing you can do to help them. Because guess what? They don't want or need your help.

The fact is, university students will do whatever the **** they want. Other students do not have the authority to stop them, and shouldn't even try. Even though it's hard to watch a friend get swallowed up by drugs, you are basically 100% powerless to stop them, and shouldn't even try. If you try to give them advice, they are not going to listen. If you try too hard, they will simply terminate the friendship. It is hard to resist trying to help them, as they're your friends, and friends stick out for friends, but the fact is, when it comes to drugs they will do what they want and you just have to sit back and watch their ascending the drug ladder.

And that's the worst part. You watch them play with fire, but you are absolutely powerless to help them. You just have to sit and watch their rapid descent down the slippery slope.

ReputationRep:

I've also lost a mate to class A drugs but he was only 15. same as always, started off with weed then as everyone got into house parties he did garrys in high school. pretty sure he does coke now. he's 18 now.

Smack heads are everywhere on a night out and it's pretty sad.

ReputationRep:
    It happens frequently and I’ve had friends who followed the same path since starting uni.

Although it’s dangerous and can be deadly it’s mostly a “phase”, once university finishes and responsibility comes along it reduces massively.

ReputationRep:
    my flatmate started with MD
    pretty sad and if you try and let them see they may be throwing their life away they refuse to believe you

ReputationRep:
    Doing drugs isn’t throwing your life away. Not doing them is admirable but your perception of them is not exactly accurate
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by HorseSierra)
    Doing drugs isn’t throwing your life away. Not doing them is admirable but your perception of them is not exactly accurate
    Yes it is. Don’t kidd yourself.

ReputationRep:
    We all need some drugs from time to time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Yes it is. Don’t kidd yourself.
    Obviously I’m not endorsing them but the idea that weed will lead you off the deep end is entirely false. I’ve done class A’s and my life is pretty damn good, depends much more on your socio-economic background, there’s a reason coke is called a rich mans drug. @Vents is spot on
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Taking things like cocaine and heroin is ruining your life.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I’m not endorsing them but the idea that weed will lead you off the deep end is entirely false. I’ve done class A’s and my life is pretty damn good, depends much more on your socio-economic background, there’s a reason coke is called a rich mans drug. @Vents is spot on
    In the same boat, don't overdo it and you're alright. Remember alcohol is a drug too, loads of people throw their lives away through that and it's legal...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.