Turn on thread page Beta

First Dates and Awkward Silences watch

Announcements

Anyone got any good first date suggestions and any advice on how to avoid awkward silences - what to talk about, good questions to ask etc. Also, how long after starting to text is acceptable before going on a first date? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    Ehh silences are natural, you can't be talking constantly. I'd say the best way to avoid awkward silences is to relax. If they do happen it isn't your fault, usually its the other person not bothering to give a proper response.

ReputationRep:
    Ask open questions. Listen. Then reply. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyone got any good first date suggestions and any advice on how to avoid awkward silences - what to talk about, good questions to ask etc. Also, how long after starting to text is acceptable before going on a first date? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!
    I had that too I met a guy and had 1st date ever. It was so stressful. First we texted each other for about a month before we met in real life but when we saw each other he was so quiet like it wasn't him on the phone he would talk hours and it was great. This made me feel whether he has feeling for me or imagined me differently and got surprised (good/bad).
    I tried to relax him by pointing to buildings outside and talking about em instead of looking at me while i was questioning or talking. For almost the whole time it was me keeping the conversation going and i was so drained. We meet few more times and every time it was the same so we both thought we r not a good match

ReputationRep:
    psychologically people naturally love to talk about themselves so even if youre not interested, act!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.