Turn on thread page Beta

Nervous about a Graduate assessment day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have an upcoming assessment day for a place on a graduate scheme, for which I am very nervous about.

Since graduating two years ago, I have had plenty of rejections, and only a limited number of job interviews. I have been shortlisted countless times, and I have even had an interview offer retracted for no reason.

This has understandably made me cynical and a bit immune to the pain and upset of the hiring process.

I have numerous copies of my CV, profiles on graduate job portals, where I have been noticed and approached numerous times by employers, usually for jobs were I don't fit the requirements, or they are not in my location.

This particular scheme seemed right up my street, combining my love for creativity and research. I sold myself quite well, and on a scale of 1-10 I would say it peaked my interest at an 8, so I applied.

I actually found this scheme via a graduate portal, I was approached to apply for a particular job in the company, that was in my field, but that I didn't quite fit my level at this time. So I looked on their website, and found they do a graduate training scheme. I dismissed the job because I didn't feel to confident in my skills, but decided to apply for the scheme.

Without much expectation, I applied, crafted my application, spent a good couple days on it all.

To my surprise 3 weeks later I got an invite to the assessment centre in 4 weeks time.

Problem is, I looked on their website, and it involves various 1-to-1 interviews with the team, and group activities. As someone with social anxiety, this scares me. I take medication for it, and have had therapy in the past but there is nothing to really help me get past it.

I really want things to change, and to finally get a job with some prospects and a decent salary.

What advice would you give for someone of a nervous disposition? I obviously don't want to pretend to be someone I'm not.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by royal1990)
    I have an upcoming assessment day for a place on a graduate scheme, for which I am very nervous about.

Since graduating two years ago, I have had plenty of rejections, and only a limited number of job interviews. I have been shortlisted countless times, and I have even had an interview offer retracted for no reason.

This has understandably made me cynical and a bit immune to the pain and upset of the hiring process.

I have numerous copies of my CV, profiles on graduate job portals, where I have been noticed and approached numerous times by employers, usually for jobs were I don't fit the requirements, or they are not in my location.

This particular scheme seemed right up my street, combining my love for creativity and research. I sold myself quite well, and on a scale of 1-10 I would say it peaked my interest at an 8, so I applied.

I actually found this scheme via a graduate portal, I was approached to apply for a particular job in the company, that was in my field, but that I didn't quite fit my level at this time. So I looked on their website, and found they do a graduate training scheme. I dismissed the job because I didn't feel to confident in my skills, but decided to apply for the scheme.

Without much expectation, I applied, crafted my application, spent a good couple days on it all.

To my surprise 3 weeks later I got an invite to the assessment centre in 4 weeks time.

Problem is, I looked on their website, and it involves various 1-to-1 interviews with the team, and group activities. As someone with social anxiety, this scares me. I take medication for it, and have had therapy in the past but there is nothing to really help me get past it.

I really want things to change, and to finally get a job with some prospects and a decent salary.

What advice would you give for someone of a nervous disposition? I obviously don't want to pretend to be someone I'm not.

Prep and practice are the key.

Understand what you need to do in terms of interviews.

Understand what they are looking for on assessments.

Just do your best.

Sometimes you come across as angry, traumatised and defensive. For the sake of the interview you have to remove all that, be confidence and friendly. they have invited you because they think you have the potential to be just what they are looking for. be that person. GL.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Firstly, good luck !

Secondly, as the post above mentions, practice and prep is key ! From my experience of doing these a few years back, the general theme I found in interviews was:

1) Why that particular company
    2) Skills needed and where you have demonstrated them
    3) What can you bring to the role
    4) Why do you want that particular role

I always approached this by giving a rational train of thought and try to link my degree/ experience I had to the skills needed to the job role.

Also, you should think about talking to university careers service and how they can help with prep. Set up an appointment in person or via Skype with one of them for some advice and show them what you've done and your approach. Don't forget to also send them the job spec. Have you also thought about family and friends who might be able to help you prep ? They may have had experience with interviews and maybe ask them to run through things with you. Send them the job spec too and maybe they can think about interview questions you would get asked etc...

Lastly, try to learn from any interviews or assessment centres that haven't gone well in the past and think to yourself 'why ?'. Think about any feedback you got and try to improve on it.

Don't forget to stay positive and just some personal advice, don't always have your heart set on a graduate schemes. There are plenty of other ways to get your foot in the door...you could just find a entry level job and it could be a really good career move. Keep your options open and your head up.

Best of luck and hope it goes really well for you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.