Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law: Newcastle or Northumbria watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if there has already been a thread on this matter, but I would be grateful for a piece of advice.

At the moment I have offers from both universities but it appears to be a harder choice than I first thought. Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hgg98)
    Apologies if there has already been a thread on this matter, but I would be grateful for a piece of advice.

At the moment I have offers from both universities but it appears to be a harder choice than I first thought. Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?
    Although the content of a law degree may be broadly similar, the way it is delivered to you, and the academic support that the university offer with that aren't necessarily the same. I'd suggest choosing the course that is better for you.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...#coursedetails
    https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...slwz1/#modules

Newcastle certainly has a better reputation generally than Northumbria. Though how that may impact on your future career I wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hgg98)

tiem for le bump

What do you wanna do in the legal profession? Where do you wanna work?

I'm sure that Newcastle will have more of a City-TC crowd than Northumbria. That may help in getting firms to meet you on campus, or in getting application tips from your fellow law students. That will be important, given that Northumbria is far too far away for you to visit London-based firms at their head offices.

J-SP may have worked with either institution, so her opinion is always relevant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    tiem for le bump

What do you wanna do in the legal profession? Where do you wanna work?

I'm sure that Newcastle will have more of a City-TC crowd than Northumbria. That may help in getting firms to meet you on campus, or in getting application tips from your fellow law students. That will be important, given that Northumbria is far too far away for you to visit London-based firms at their head offices.

J-SP may have worked with either institution, so her opinion is always relevant!
    Have worked with both, although Newcastle more so. Newcastle run a big legal careers fair, but allow the Northumbria students to go along, so even that isn’t now a big differentiator.

You can see the difference with their two law societies though. The Grey Society does not get as much sponsorship as The Eldon Society, but this is down to multiple factors, but a major one being city firms don’t get a lot of applications from Northumbria. They don’t really get that many from Newcastle, but it will look like a lot compared to Northumbria.

I bet any firms with offices within a 50 mile radius of Newcastle target both universities though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Have worked with both, although Newcastle more so. Newcastle run a big legal careers fair, but allow the Northumbria students to go along, so even that isn’t now a big differentiator.

You can see the difference with their two law societies though. The Grey Society does not get as much sponsorship as The Eldon Society, but this is down to multiple factors, but a major one being city firms don’t get a lot of applications from Northumbria. They don’t really get that many from Newcastle, but it will look like a lot compared to Northumbria.

I bet any firms with offices within a 50 mile radius of Newcastle target both universities though.
    This is the same poster who asked the same question the other day, which we both responded to. This is a duplicate post forgotten about till it was bumped by the CA.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.