Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if there has already been a thread on this matter, but I would be grateful for a piece of advice.

At the moment I have offers from both universities but it appears to be a harder choice than I first thought. Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession.

P.s: It’s Law and international business at Northumbria University and Law at Newcastle University
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Explain why it is a harder choice than you originally thought, so that we have more context.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Explain why it is a harder choice than you originally thought, so that we have more context.
    Newcastle has a better name and is much more rated as it’s a Russell University so I suppose that it would be easier to find a job after graduation. However, Northumbria’s course seems to be quite interesting and exciting because of its real cases. Moreover, the course is more comprehensive because of the business related modules.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is more targeted than Northumbria, but that typically comes down to Newcastle having a grade requirement closer to what legal employers have. Northumbria’s is probably slightly lower than firms and Chambers that would expect mainly A grades.

The biggest benefit of the Northumbria course for employment prospects will be the sandwich course, if you took that option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hgg98)
    Newcastle has a better name and is much more rated as it’s a Russell University so I suppose that it would be easier to find a job after graduation.
    This is true.

However, Northumbria’s course seems to be quite interesting and exciting because of its real cases. Moreover, the course is more comprehensive because of the business related modules.
    Real cases. I assume you read this on the Northumbria LLB website: "What makes this course different to other law degrees is that throughout the course the theory of law and practice are taught together. This approach enhances your understanding of law in its practical context. On this course you’ll be taught the theoretical underpinnings of the foundations of legal knowledge alongside the law in its real world application."

This is a rather common claim made by several universities. That they teach traditional law and law in practice. It is mostly PR spin, from my perspective. All law courses deal with judgements of the courts (which involve facts), they deal with hypothetical cases (which involve facts), and you will get practitioner-type tips in lectures and seminars from your lecturers and seminarists. So traditional law courses will always cover "law in practice" informally; they just not mention it on their PR materials.

The difference, it would seem, is the lack of law clinic at Newcastle. Firstly, there are plenty of pro bono schemes at Newcastle (including the Personal Support Unit) and there are sandwich-year placements available at Newcastle.

So Newcastle probably exceeds Northumbria in pro bono opportunities. Secondly, though law clinic experience is appreciated by recruiters, they are chiefly doss in terms of your experience and what you learn. You won't know more about the law than someone who just focusses on traditional law at university; the only difference is you have something for the CV. As I pointed out firstly, there are pro bono opportunities at Newcastle anyway, so you're not at a loss.

The big advantage to studying at Northumbria is that you can take the MLaw and in your fourth year you can get LPC/BPTC tuition and maintenance paid for by Student Finance. Compare this to a separate LLM with the LPC where you will get only an approx. £10k loan (which surely will not cover tuition and living). This advantage is minimised incredibly by the fact that many law firms pay for your LPC and pay for you to take the LPC.

Lastly the big advantage to studying at Newcastle, notwithstanding its being more employable and equally as practical, is that it is more academic. You will be taught by real academics who have some real academic expertise of the law. That is what will be fun for you as a student! Northumbria, in contrast, has a practitioner-heavy law faculty. They have a tendency to teach by diagrams and over-simplification of the law. When you're learning bullet points rather than the big picture, your student experience is greatly weakened.

Lastly lastly, Northumbria's scholarships are terrible compared to Newcastle. You should certainly consider that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.