Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

absences for sports watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what a university would do if a student was required through their selection for a national sports team to be absent for a portion of the course? Anyone had experience of this, like having to be away for compulsory training camps, overseas fixtures etc.? What would happen about assessments, tutorials? With shorter teaching but more intense periods at Oxbridge do they make allowances at all, or do they just not want students like this? Just asking because I don't know where to aim for Uni - I have good GSCEs and predicted grades from my state school and don't want to have to choose Uni and Uni location over sport (or vice versa). Anyone have any experiences of their uni being really supportive and flexible on this?

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough is supposed to be super good for sports, my friend is applying there as they are giving him a scholarship through his national level swimming?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, that sounds good. Does he get flexibility with assessment etc. becuase of his training schedule do you know, or is he expected to do just the same as the others (though maybe at Loughborough everyone is doing loads of sport!)?

ReputationRep:
    He isn’t currently there (going in October) so I have no idea how the finer details would work out, but he has to do 12 training sessions (2hrs each) a week plus the gym. I presume he would work this around academia but I have no idea how it would work with international competitions. Best option would be to email the university and see what they say!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    On a slightly related note, a lot of universities offer scholarships and things for those who are exceptional at sport and other things, so that is worth looking into.

Thread has been moved into University life.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.