Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depressed about Imperial medicine interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have already got a rejection by UCL and I have had my interview at Imperial. I think my interview went awful as I could not say everything I wanted to. I also said some really stupid stuff which I know regret. I just can;t calm down. So much work has gone to reaching this stage & I feel it's all now gone. This anxiety is affecting my a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BULL14)
    I have already got a rejection by UCL and I have had my interview at Imperial. I think my interview went awful as I could not say everything I wanted to. I also said some really stupid stuff which I know regret. I just can;t calm down. So much work has gone to reaching this stage & I feel it's all now gone. This anxiety is affecting my a levels.
    Talk me through your interview.

ReputationRep:
    You must have a lot of potential to reach the interview stage at these universities, don't be so hard on yourself! Just make a good/clear note of what you would want to say next time instead (and remain focused on your studies).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? what can I do?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A reminder to please not discuss specific interview content, it isn't allowed on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    What is done is done, you can't change it.

Start believing that it went well and note down all the good things you said, focus on those.

You have done your part, you can pray for the rest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BULL14)
    BUMP
    What do you want us to do? Do you have another interview? Which 4 have you applied to - you have only mentioned UCL and Imperial, what about the other 2?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the rejection put you down. Don't loose hope. Them rejecting you does not mean that you are a bad student. The selection process for medicine is just ass in this country. Its so random and subjective. I got four interviews, I got rejected by the first three. Every time I would call them up and try to get some feedback and kind of try to learn from my mistakes and improve myself for the next interview...I did that and I became more confident each time. My last interview was with UCL....and they gave me an offer....Queen Mary turned me down and UCL accepted me...I've always found that funny.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic. Getting rejected from Imperial is not the end of the world. You may get offers from other universities. If not, you can always reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you've got interviews from both of the unis shows so much! And I'm an Imperial medic graduate.

Don't sweat it - if you ruin your A levels, then there's no going back into medicine! You need to focus on the A levels whether you get in or not (it's a tough way of looking at it, but it's true)!

Think positively. This is great practice for the future too, as you'll be feeling this way when it comes to Imperial exams, I'm sure. They're very tough (as are all med school exams!) and you need to learn how to manage the anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, your rejection does not define you! What Imperial and UCL and all these universities are primarily assessing is your suitability to study in that particular uni (especially traditional panel interviews). I can understand how it feels when a uni rejects you, and it honestly makes you feel like all the work you put in in futile, however, you wouldn't have gotten to interview stage if they didn't think you have the potential to be a good doctor.
    Secondly, even if you receive for rejections, there are still 30 other med schools you can choose from to reapply to. However, if you mess up your A levels, it really limits you in terms of even having a shot at medicine. Don't give up on yourself. You owe to yourself to smash those A levels!
    Thirdly, as a user before me mentioned, this process is really really subjective. Incredibly so, and no matter how much you prepare, its really about the impression you make on the day. I once read that it takes 30s for someone to form a first impression of you, but TWO YEARS for you to change that impression they have! It may just have been a day, but you can't let that get you down.
    Finally, I think you should watch this YouTube video that a TSR ambassador has posted this summer just gone. Not the same situation, but very similar feelings of disappointment and futility. But she's carrying on, and I think you should to. Please pm me for details. I believe in you .

GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    As harsh as it may be to hear right now, but there's nothing else that can be done. You've had your interview, that's over and done with and there's nothing more you can do on that aspect.

What you can do now is focus on your A-Levels and get your grades. As notespad says and from my own experience, if you miss the AAA minimum, your pool of possible medical schools is severely reduced. You have to let go of the 'what-ifs' and focus on the things you can actually do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.