• View Poll Results: Which plan
    Plan A
    83.33%
    Plan B
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Im not going by posters.
    Never said you were. I was using them as an example.

Using strawman arguments will make you a poor lawyer.

(Original post by jdddd)
    My Brother does but probably to do with his profession, but still.
    Point proven then?

(Original post by jdddd)
    Think bright, negative people don't get anywhere.
    Think realistic, dreamers always end up disappointed.

(Original post by jdddd)
    No, its not drilling in hopeful ideals its called having an ambition, if you look at everything with a negative mindset you won't do anything.
    ambition =/= achievement.

(Original post by jdddd)
    You must be a troll. Why go to University in the first place?
    I had no choice other than this or the other option I stated above.

(Original post by jdddd)
    A BPTC Graduate with no future? You've got to be having a laugh - Law probably has the most transferable skills you can get in a degree lol.
    Yup. Most BPTC graduated don't become barristers. Spending an additional £10K and doing a lot of hard work to not become a barrister doesn't seem like a win to me. Why do a BPTC to end up working in recruitment?

(Original post by jdddd)
    You want to be a Police officer? Attitude is ****.
    Attitude is realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I recruited plenty of non RG grads for law firms. It’s not the differentiator you are making it out to be

Sorry was meant for the OP - not sure why it’s quoted you (hate the unpredictability of this app)
    How do you decide?

I mean, you pick the Ox/Bridge guys first, then the RG guys. What happens next? There's so much out there that it must be hard to pick?

What do you look for when you're out of the best stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hughey89)
    Never said you were. I was using them as an example.

Using strawman arguments will make you a poor lawyer.

Poor example then.

Point proven then?

Not really.

Think realistic, dreamers always end up disappointed.

ambition =/= achievement.

I had no choice other than this or the other option I stated above.

Yup. Most BPTC graduated don't become barristers. Spending an additional £10K and doing a lot of hard work to not become a barrister doesn't seem like a win to me. Why do a BPTC to end up working in recruitment?

Attitude is realistic.
    Honestly, a few years back I had your attitude the 'Be realistic' attitude, it made me fail. I got bad grades, thought I would get anywhere. Then, with the right people around me, I started thinking positive, thinking I could achieve anything, Im now at University and would never have thought I'd be here. Negative attitudes aren't realistic. Setting a boundary between you and something you want is a sh*t attitude, one you may class as 'realistic', but, it never gets you anywhere. Gives you the mind frame you can't achieve what you want to achieve. I know Police officers and have worked with them in the past, they are very driven, motivated individuals and positive in their attitudes.

You speak of Graduates spending 10k to end up in recruitment - which is very well paid, when you have spent ( ----- ) don't know what year you're in, but, if year 2, you would have spent around 30k and you want to drop it off and gain nothing. Levels. So realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Honestly, a few years back I had your attitude the 'Be realistic' attitude, it made me fail. I got bad grades, thought I would get anywhere. Then, with the right people around me, I started thinking positive, thinking I could achieve anything, Im now at University and would never have thought I'd be here. Negative attitudes aren't realistic. Setting a boundary between you and something you want is a sh*t attitude, one you may class as 'realistic', but, it never gets you anywhere. Gives you the mind frame you can't achieve what you want to achieve. I know Police officers and have worked with them in the past, they are very driven, motivated individuals and positive in their attitudes.

You speak of Graduates spending 10k to end up in recruitment - which is very well paid, when you have spent ( ----- ) don't know what year you're in, but, if year 2, you would have spent around 30k and you want to drop it off and gain nothing. Levels. So realistic.
    Actually, it's a decent example of how Universities try to convince you to stay and that your degree is worth something. If they tell half truths. I'm saying don't believe everything you're told.

I'm a driven person, but I wont waste time on things that are futile. For example, I'm hanging in here in the vain hope that one day I can become a police officer. I'm not feeling confident because going to a second rate university doesn't seem like it's going to increase my chances of getting in, especially now degrees are a requirement. I'm extremely fit and healthy and I'm not stupid, I'm just not getting in due to a lack of jobs and also probably because of positive discrimination.

I have achieved things in my life through hard work. This is why I'm just thinking of sacking it off and joining the FFL, because at this point why the hell not? It's not like the FFL doesn't take determination and I'm confident that I'd be a great Legionnaire.

I want to spend my youth (especially while I have it) doing something positive and I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to convince myself that going to a second rate University because I failed to get into a good one just to graduate with no more prospects of progress towards what I know I should be doing isn't helping my motivation.

I suppose I should finish, even if it does cost me a few years of my life. If I don't graduate straight into the Police I'm going straight to France.

I'm sick of thinking about this course. I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    If you don't mind me asking, whats your personal experience, just curious, I was thinking of doing LLM after graduating, have you done it?
    I started studying law aged 33 (in 2012). I did my undergraduate law degree at a university (BPP) so bad that it is frequently the butt of jokes on Legalcheek. I did an LLM at UCL, then the BPTC. I am now a pupil at a commercial / chancery set in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    The BPTC costs roughly £10K on top of your LLB fees.

Why pay for that when you don't even need GCSEs to work in recruitment? Regardless of how well paid it is, if you're willing to spend £10K and 2+ years of your life to become a barrister, then not becoming a barrister seems like a bit of a loss.

I'm first year and yes, I realise how much of a waste of money Uni is.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it's a decent example of how Universities try to convince you to stay and that your degree is worth something. If they tell half truths. I'm saying don't believe everything you're told.

I'm a driven person, but I wont waste time on things that are futile. For example, I'm hanging in here in the vain hope that one day I can become a police officer. I'm not feeling confident because going to a second rate university doesn't seem like it's going to increase my chances of getting in, especially now degrees are a requirement. I'm extremely fit and healthy and I'm not stupid, I'm just not getting in due to a lack of jobs and also probably because of positive discrimination.

I have achieved things in my life through hard work. This is why I'm just thinking of sacking it off and joining the FFL, because at this point why the hell not? It's not like the FFL doesn't take determination and I'm confident that I'd be a great Legionnaire.

I want to spend my youth (especially while I have it) doing something positive and I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to convince myself that going to a second rate University because I failed to get into a good one just to graduate with no more prospects of progress towards what I know I should be doing isn't helping my motivation.

I suppose I should finish, even if it does cost me a few years of my life. If I don't graduate straight into the Police I'm going straight to France.

If you are so sure that your degree will not get you anywhere and you hate doing it then dropping out is a no brainer and you should've done it already/never started in the first place. It sounds to me like you are just mad and bitter about not getting into a better uni - maybe jealous of some other people you know that got into them - rather than trying to make an actual rational decision about what the best course of action is. I could be wrong but this is my interpretation right now.

ReputationRep:
    How do you decide?

I mean, you pick the Ox/Bridge guys first, then the RG guys. What happens next? There's so much out there that it must be hard to pick?

What do you look for when you're out of the best stuff?
    That’s really not how it works. You don’t pick anyone by university. Your looking at everything else before you get to that.

There really isnt “so much out there” at all.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aardwolf)
    If you are so sure that your degree will not get you anywhere and you hate doing it then dropping out is a no brainer and you should've done it already/never started in the first place. It sounds to me like you are just mad and bitter about not getting into a better uni - maybe jealous of some other people you know that got into them - rather than trying to make an actual rational decision about what the best course of action is. I could be wrong but this is my interpretation right now.
    Yup.

It's worse when your entire life falls apart because of it too.

At least you have the decency to be honest, using terms like "better uni".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    That’s really not how it works. You don’t pick anyone by university. Your looking at everything else before you get to that.

There really isnt “so much out there” at all.
    Wow, so you're saying that a guy who went to Liverpool University has as much chance as somebody who went to John Moore's?

It's a bit unfair to the more intelligent and hard working Liverpool guy though?

If there's not a lot out there, then surely getting the best people from the best universities is important?

What kind of law do you hire for?

If you hire for ambulance chasers I can discard everything you've said so far.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so you're saying that a guy who went to Liverpool University has as much chance as somebody who went to John Moore's?

It's a bit unfair to the more intelligent and hard working Liverpool guy though?

If there's not a lot out there, then surely getting the best people from the best universities is important?

What kind of law do you hire for?

If you hire for ambulance chasers I can discard everything you've said so far.
    It’s more unfair that you assume the JM grad/Student could not be the one who is the most hard working or intelligent just based on their uni. That’s why you look at all the other information on their CV first, and make a judgement on that based on fairer (and more accurate) evidence.

Getting the best people is important. But if you know about the graduate labour market like I do, you know that talent will be everywhere. It is likely to be more prevalent in RG unis, which is why they tend to be targeted, with money and time spent on campus trying to attract a cohort of students. But I know there are 100s of reasons why someone who is just as exceptional (and in many cases more so) might end up at a lower ranked uni than a higher one. And if I took your narrow minded attitude to screening applicants, I wouldn’t have recruited some exceptional trainees and associates (including those from at least 4 universities ranked lower than Liverpool JM).

Your snobbish and overly negative attitude is outstanding! And given that I get to disregard everything you have said so far.

FYI though it was a number of city law firms, including more than one MC firm, over two decades. I am sure the lawyers now comfortably earning six and sometimes even seven figure salaries, working across law firms and working as in-house counsels rarely get called ambulance chasers.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Unless you're in a University above the 100 mark then its nothing to worry about.

Leave the course then. If you hate it, not much point in doing it.

The FFL is notoriously hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    I started studying law aged 33 (in 2012). I did my undergraduate law degree at a university (BPP) so bad that it is frequently the butt of jokes on Legalcheek. I did an LLM at UCL, then the BPTC. I am now a pupil at a commercial / chancery set in London.
    Is BPP really that bad? Also, would you recommend the LLM or just go on to do the BPTC straight from LLB?

ReputationRep:
    The idea that you can't succeed if not going to a RG University is obviously ridiculous, there's people at Magic Circle firms who studied with the Open University for crying out loud, you think the police are going to be more restricrive than MC firms? Saying that, pretending your chances of getting to a top level firm don't go up after studying at an RG university is equally ridiculous, but there's many many many happy lawyers out there working at smaller local firms in non-RG towns, it's all on your own ambition.

If you hate your course, quit, do something else with your life. If you worked a bit harder maybe you'd be at an RG university. My A Levels were mediocre, my first degree was completed at a low ranking university in an unrelated subject (Biomedical Science) but now I'm studying a HE Diploma and have offers for 2018 from 3 Russel Group universities. Anybody with reasonable intelligence can do it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.