Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as you can probably guess, i got bad gcses (A,B,B,C,C,D,D) but am targeted A*A*A at A level, could i still get in a top uni for law? (Obviously excluding Oxbridge)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Qazdrfvhujmlp)
    Hi, as you can probably guess, i got bad gcses (A,B,B,C,C,D,D) but am targeted A*A*A at A level, could i still get in a top uni for law? (Obviously excluding Oxbridge)
    Depends what you mean by top, but in theory yes as there are other aspects to your application incuding PS, extra currics, reference and possibly LNAT. Also unis can have different GCSE policies. If you get those grades then you could always apply the following year with known grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qazdrfvhujmlp)

Most people applying to a top uni will have those kind of predictions - you'll look weak compared to your competition.
    My advice would be to apply with your actual grades.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies! So is it easier to get in if they know what you have? Like you're a safer bet sort of thing? Maybe it is best to wait a year anyway to get more work experience and stuff like that, any advice is appreciated 😊

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify - Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol - are what I consider to be top tier universities for Law. If you want to apply to them you'll need at least A*AA in actual grades given your GCSE predicament.
    But if you want to apply to Exeter/Nottingham etc you should get an offer with those predictions.

ReputationRep:
    So do you think i would need 2 A*s to be in with a chance of getting in them due to my bad gcse's? I meet the gcse requirements but i'd imagine most people far exceed them. Also does your grade being an actual grade make it easier, if you know what i mean. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Given the discontinuation of AS grades, universities increasingly look at gcses. Sure you can have decent predictions/reference/shining personal statement but when there are 10 people applying for the same course, definitive grades are needed. A*A*A actual grades, as well as a strong academically focussed PS would certainly bring you close to securing a place at a top tier uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.