Turn on thread page Beta

B1333 - CANZUK Bill 2018 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1333 - CANZUK Bill 2018, TCFactorCANZUK Bill 2018
    An Act calling for a free trade and free movement zone between Canada, Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom due to them having a shared heritage.
    BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
    1: Free Trade and Free Movement Zone
    a) There shall be no restrictions on trade between the countries.
    b)The citizens of CANZUK will be able to move freely between each country.
    i) Providing they haven’t committed any serious crime
    ii) A serious crime refers to anyone convicted of the following crimes, which are:
    1) Murders, or any sort of killing killings.
    2) Identity Theft
    3) Organised crime
    4) Robbery
    5) Serial killings
    6) Sex crimes
    7) Terrorism
    2: Enforcement and Punishment
    a)To help support this change, a body called the CANZUK Cooperation Board (CCB) will be set up in each of these countries to allow for better communication.
    b)Each country will have 5 representatives. The PM, Chancellor, the Minister of Trade (or equivalent), the Minister of Immigration (or equivalent) and the Minister of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent).
    i)Ministers of Trade:
    1) Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for International Trade (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Minister of International Trade (Canada)
    3) Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment (Commonwealth of Australia)
    4) Minister of Trade (New Zealand)
    ii) Ministers of Immigration
    1) Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Minister of International Trade (Canada)
    3) Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (Commonwealth of Australia)
    4) Minister of Immigration (New Zealand)
    iii) Ministers of Foreign Affairs
    1) Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Minister of Foreign Affairs (Canada)
    3) Minister for Foreign Affairs (Commonwealth of Australia)
    4) Minister of Foreign Affairs (New Zealand)
    c) The Members will report back to their governments, and in the case of ministers, their respective Ministries/Departments/Offices, which are:
    iv) Ministries/Departments/Offices of Trade:
    1) Department for International Trade (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Global Affairs Canada (Canada)
    3) Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Commonwealth of Australia)
    4) Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (New Zealand)
    v) Ministries/Departments/Offices of Immigration
    1) Home Office (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
    (Canada)
    3) Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Commonwealth of Australia)
    Immigration New Zealand, part of the
    4) Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (New Zealand)
    vi) Ministries/Departments/Offices of Foreign Affairs
    1) Foreign and Commonwealth Office (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
    2) Global Affairs Canada (Canada)
    3) Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Commonwealth of Australia)
    4) Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (New Zealand)
    d) The representatives will remain members of the CCB, until they leave office.
    e) There shall be no laws or legislation imposed on each member, as that would result in a quasi-EU, which is undesirable.
    f) The Headquarters of the CCB will be in London.
    g) The representatives of each country will need to cooperate with one another to ensure a fair deal is reached.
    h) If any country violates the agreement, they will be investigated and unless there is any serious reason to violate the agreement, they will be expelled.
    i) Any country will be able to drop out of the agreement at any time.
    3: Exemption
    Since this deal assures the Liberty of each country, any country will be allowed to drop out at any time, as said before.
    4: Dissolving
    Should there be reason to dissolve the CCB, all parties will need to unanimously vote on the subject.
    5: Extent
    This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    6: Commencement
    The provisions of this Act come into force on 29 March 2019.
    7: Short Title
    This Act may be cited as the CANZUK Bill 2018.
    Notes:
    This Bill hopes to use the common heritage between the commonwealth to help to develop a free trade and free movement zone between Canada, Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom due to them having a shared heritage. This will be important as after Brexit, we need to utilize the commonwealth so that it allows for us and the commonwealth to prosper in the best possible way
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Or we could do things the normal way and either unilaterally remove tariffs or, you know, negotiate these things. It is improper to do this in this way.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    MY EYES:lolwut:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    My main issue is 5, in connection with 3. I can't see any indication from these countries that they wish to work more closely with us.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Why not India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Ghana? They are also commonwealth countries. I guess this is a white countries only thing then.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the UK Parliament can mandate other countries to take part in a CANZUK agreement. Whilst I support the principle, only through negotiations can this be achieved.

Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not sure you can put matters relating to other sovereign countries into UK legislation. In any case I'm far from convinced that this is desirable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JMR2018)
    Why not India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Ghana? They are also commonwealth countries. I guess this is a white countries only thing then.
    We also have shared heritage with the US, there are more white people with share heritage not included than are included. Congratulations on being the boy who cry racism
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm not sure you can put matters relating to other sovereign countries into UK legislation. In any case I'm far from convinced that this is desirable.
    Which is better, free trade or protectionism?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is better, free trade or protectionism?
    Depends upon the context and the industry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This needs to be negotiated. Nay.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Depends upon the context and the industry.
    Protectionism then.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    My goodness ... The Honourable member needs to understand that trade deals aren’t easy to secure and we can’t just force our way into free trade deals with the following countries listed above. A strong nay from me.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Okay, discarding that it doesn’t look too great, it’s a nice idea though I don’t know the precedent for foreign policy being written into legislation... especially deals with other countries. I’ll abstain for now until TCFactor gives further clarification

(Original post by JMR2018)
    But how is this a race issue? This isn’t specifically excluding those countries, and I don’t know whether at the moment it is fitting.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'll debate this seriously once you take the time to format it.

As of now though, Nay. It would be offensive for such a lazy bill to pass.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, Unless this was a motion calling for the Government to push through with a Trade deal with CANZUK than it is very unrealistic.The listed countries haven't been negotiated with and likely they would have high demand, thus making this deal virtually impossible.

PS: Why would Canada trade with the UK when they have the EU and the US? We aren't a manufacturing Superpower, countries aren't lining up to do deals with us bar what Nigel Farage says.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    One cannot simply decide, on behalf of other countries, free trade agreements. Were that the case, the UK could decide, on behalf of the EU27, our free trade agreement post-Brexit.

Whilst I acknowledge the sentiment, the UK will indeed need to develop amicable and deeply-rooted relationships with new trading partners, said relationships cannot occur against their will and without proper negotiation and discussion.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    A well written bill by my former colleague.

I’ve always been and always will be pro- anything that enhances free trade.

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye - but 'serious crime' should be any crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    A well written bill by my former colleague.

I’ve always been and always will be pro- anything that enhances free trade.

Aye.
    Not sure you have your eye-sight back yet but welcome?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.