Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not sure you have your eye-sight back yet but welcome?
    This is needlessly abrasive. Considering the member in question is still relatively new (only joined properly last term,) I would say that his effort is positively laudable; not everyone is as adept at writing legislation as you or I.

My full return is a separate thread, if you are interested, check the MHOC forum.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Nay, Unless this was a motion calling for the Government to push through with a Trade deal with CANZUK than it is very unrealistic.The listed countries haven't been negotiated with and likely they would have high demand, thus making this deal virtually impossible.

PS: Why would Canada trade with the UK when they have the EU and the US? We aren't a manufacturing Superpower, countries aren't lining up to do deals with us bar what Nigel Farage says.
    Why would the Canadians trade with us? I don't know, you might want to ask them because there is just shy of £15bn of trade with them even with the EU's protectionist tendencies (it's been at that level for quite some time), they're our 16th biggest export market already and 18th for imports.

ReputationRep:
    I mean how long do I spend on my bills to then see this formatted like that...

In terms of concept - I can see the idea behind it - I ask the OP... why this and not the EU. Surely they both give the same means except the EU is a larger trading partner and of more use to us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    A well written bill by my former colleague.

I’ve always been and always will be pro- anything that enhances free trade.

Aye.
    I support the theory behind this bill but this should be negotiated and as such, I will abstain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)

In terms of concept - I can see the idea behind it - I ask the OP... why this and not the EU. Surely they both give the same means except the EU is a larger trading partner and of more use to us?
    I second your sentiments, not convinced this would be better than our EU membership.

Besides, we should be seeking EEA/EFTA after leaving the EU.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador

Because they are completely different, the EU has the endstate of superstate, this is what we were sold the EU as being and what we wanted from the EU.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I second your sentiments, not convinced this would be better than our EU membership.

Besides, we should be seeking EEA/EFTA after leaving the EU.
    Ummm, this wouldn't remove that as an option, if it is removed as an option from EEA/EFTA then we should turn down EEA/EFTA
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, this wouldn't remove that as an option, if it is removed as an option from EEA/EFTA then we should turn down EEA/EFTA
    Presuming we were to have a Norway-style EEA membership this would not be incompatible. That doesn't mean that it is beneficial to the UK agriculture sector, say, but it wouldn't, if my understanding of how EFTA works is correct, be incompatible with membership.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Presuming we were to have a Norway-style EEA membership this would not be incompatible. That doesn't mean that it is beneficial to the UK agriculture sector, say, but it wouldn't, if my understanding of how EFTA works is correct, be incompatible with membership.
    What does it matter if it isn't beneficial for the UK agriculture sector? They have two options: finally get round to making themselves highly competitive, or find something else to do for a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    A well written bill by my former colleague.

I’ve always been and always will be pro- anything that enhances free trade.

Aye.
    U wot m8?

Nay, of course. The formatting is horrible and you can't legislate trade deals.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I don't have any other objection to the bill. Don't plan on voting for it however considering the points raised about the bill itself.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Conceited)
    In that case, I don't have any other objection to the bill. Don't plan on voting for it however considering the points raised about the bill itself.
    I would be voting against it if I had a vote, it should be a motion
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I hope the Hon. member will withdraw this and resubmit it as a motion today/tomorrow as it should be
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ns_2)
    One cannot simply decide, on behalf of other countries, free trade agreements. Were that the case, the UK could decide, on behalf of the EU27, our free trade agreement post-Brexit.
    If only the voting public realised this...:moon:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Because they are completely different, the EU has the endstate of superstate, this is what we were sold the EU as being and what we wanted from the EU.
    So what's to stop the superstate from forming out of this new alliance
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    So what's to stop the superstate from forming out of this new alliance
    There is nothing to stop it happening, however it is explicitly stated in the bill that of is not the goal whereas in the treaty of Rome is almost explicitly does set it as the end point of the European project..Also, to my knowledge, there isn't any element in the political classes of any of the countries in question that have an interest in anything more than a return to a closer trading relationship

ReputationRep:
    Dreadful, dreadful drafting. S1(a) is unworkably vague. Does not respect other countries' sovereignty.

I support it in principle post-Brexit (though I think we achieve more by joining up to existing treaties), but this is very poorly done. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker

I cannot support this bill free trade with other countries should be done via negotiations you can't force other countries to trade with you. Secondly I think TCF is referring to only the anglosphere countries.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Mr Speaker

I cannot support this bill free trade with other countries should be done via negotiations you can't force other countries to trade with you. Secondly I think TCF is referring to only the anglosphere countries.
    Anglosphere us more than CANZUK

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    I g dbrbjie wha thus bill us by we better leave the Harlem union good nandfcr
    Go home Saunders your drunk!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.