Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please explain to me why an Up, Strange, Anti-Strange Baryon cannot exist. I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Each quark has a baryon number of 1/3, anti-quarks are -1/3

Baryons have to have a baryon number of 1 or -1 altogether and mixing quarks with antiquarks doesn't give this.

That, I suspect, is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _MB_)
    Could somebody please explain to me why an Up, Strange, Anti-Strange Baryon cannot exist. I can't seem to figure it out!

I guess charge has to be an integer?

ReputationRep:
    Well baryons can only have either all matter or all antimatter particles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _MB_)

Baryons are always either three quarks or three antiquarks. If you try to do anything else, you end up with a total baryon number of 1/3 or -1/3, neither of which can exist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.