Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Recovery and Results: My A level Journey watch

ReputationRep:
    This year is A level year. The big one, the seemingly 'be all and end all'. The one that determines if you get into uni or not. And I'm going into it battling not only exam stress, but depression and anxiety.
    My name's Emi, and I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and French for A level. I've applied to study Veterinary Medicine at Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham and the RVC - I got flat out rejections from Notts and RVC but amazingly managed to get an offer from Liverpool which I never imagined since I was repeatedly told how difficult it is to get into vet school first time around! I'm still waiting on a response from Bristol so I have my fingers crossed for that.
    I decided to start this blog because I want motivation, to study and to recover my mental health. As a result of my brain not working the way I need it to, my grades have dropped from A's to D's, and my offer is AAA for vet school. So, this blog will be a way for me to not only monitor my recovery, but also to be able to push myself to get the grades I need - I'll be talking about studying, self care and motivation amongst other things. I hope to be able to post at least every three days/every other day, but if I'm not able to it's because I'm human and sometimes we just need time away from everything!
    This year, I am going to get better. And this year, I'm determined to get the grades I need.
    Here's hoping it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -nightfury-)
    This year is A level year. The big one, the seemingly 'be all and end all'. The one that determines if you get into uni or not. And I'm going into it battling not only exam stress, but depression and anxiety.
    My name's Emi, and I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and French for A level. I've applied to study Veterinary Medicine at Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham and the RVC - I got flat out rejections from Notts and RVC but amazingly managed to get an offer from Liverpool which I never imagined since I was repeatedly told how difficult it is to get into vet school first time around! I'm still waiting on a response from Bristol so I have my fingers crossed for that.
    I decided to start this blog because I want motivation, to study and to recover my mental health. As a result of my brain not working the way I need it to, my grades have dropped from A's to D's, and my offer is AAA for vet school. So, this blog will be a way for me to not only monitor my recovery, but also to be able to push myself to get the grades I need - I'll be talking about studying, self care and motivation amongst other things. I hope to be able to post at least every three days/every other day, but if I'm not able to it's because I'm human and sometimes we just need time away from everything!
    This year, I am going to get better. And this year, I'm determined to get the grades I need.
    Here's hoping it all goes well
    Good luck this year! Pictures of cute animals always welcome :yep:

I don't know how much you use TSR, but we do have a great Mental Health forum if you ever need to vent or get support about anything :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Good luck this year! Pictures of cute animals always welcome :yep:

I don't know how much you use TSR, but we do have a great Mental Health forum if you ever need to vent or get support about anything :hugs:
    Thank you! I have been trawling through the TSR mental health forums and do find them helpful Pictures of cute animals will come, as they're the main reason I want to be a vet!!

ReputationRep:
    So, February half term. A time for productivity right? Well...
    We've just finished mocks at school and needless to say I'm drained after them. I tried my best but they didn't go so well for me - I'm dreading to find out what my results were, especially since our school puts a lot of pressure on us and everyone always ends up comparing results because we all want to be at the top of the class. Not so fun when you realise everyone else has done better than you!
    So, I've blocked this holiday out completely for chill out time. A week to organise myself and prepare to start the new term, so I can try to hit the ground running and I have everything set out to make the run up to exams easier for myself. I've been tidying my room to create a good study space for myself, but mainly I've also been working on my mental health and self care as last week in particular was super difficult for me.
    So here's some tips for self care if you're feeling rubbish and unable to work, because I know that trying to make your brain absorb information while feeling super super depressed can feel like trying to make a brick wall absorb water and then telling it off because it's not acting like a sponge (this is how I feel anyway!):banghead:

- Try to make sure that you set yourself up for as good a night's sleep as you can get. If you're tired, you're more likely to get frustrated the next day when things seem overly difficult and you just want to crawl into bed and give up.
    - Set things out. Make a big old list of everything you need to do and revise, and then break it down into small, manageable chunks. This phrase has been repeated to me so many times this week by doctors and psychologists, but it can help to take things one step at a time. Even if it's just like 'sit down. Okay, now turn on your laptop. Great you're getting there! Now pull out your notes, grab your pencil case. Fab' Even the smallest things can be a success, and apparently that's the key to getting something done. Even if it's the tiniest little thing and you feel like you should have done more, its better than nothing!
    - Have breaks. I try to use the pomodoro technique, where I will sit at my desk for 25 mins and then have a 5 minute break. If that seems too much, just try and work for only 5 minutes. Managed to do that? Awesome, now have a tiny break if you feel like it and go for another 5 mins, try and go for 10 mins if you feel able to. Then reward yourself with another break! Which brings me onto the next point...
    - Reward yourself. Organise a few hours to meet friends, go to the cinema even if you haven't managed to be very productive it will put you in a better mood to try and do a little work.

That's all for now, since I've been using writing this as a way to procrastinate (whoops). Revision timetable starts next week on Monday, since I made it on GetRevising as I never seem to be able to make realistic ones myself. I need to finish clearing out my room so I feel better, since my mum always says: A clear room = a clear mind!
    Until next time,
    Emi

ReputationRep:
    hey, im totally gonna be following this
    can't wait to see your journey, and all the best!
    how are you finding chem and bio? i wanna take those for a-level too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    hey, im totally gonna be following this
    can't wait to see your journey, and all the best!
    how are you finding chem and bio? i wanna take those for a-level too
    Hey! Thank you very much
    At the moment I'm enjoying Biology a lot more than Chemistry just because I've always preferred it but I will say that they're definitely a massive step up from GCSE! It's scary but manageable, the required practicals are slightly annoying and chemistry uses a lot of calculations (I dropped maths for a reason but yet it still comes back to haunt meeeee) - despite all their difficulties they're worth it in my opinion.
    Biology is definitely a lot more memorising, chemistry is very much a mix of everything and I find it a lot harder!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Another week. Another struggle.
    Last week was tough for me, we went back to school on Tuesday and then I was advised to take the rest of the week off - my mental health is fragile at the moment, to say the least. I had three different appointments with different medical professionals, and my emotions were an unending rollercoaster with me never knowing when the next steep drop would be. As a result of my current state and situation, I'm in no fit state to do my exams this year, so everyone has agreed that the best option for me is to join the current year 12 and do my A levels next year.
    It's been a daunting and big decision to make, but I'm relieved that I will have time to recover and get better and then will have another chance to do my exams when I'm in a better place. I will be able to reach my full potential and get the grades I need.
    I just really hope I can defer my place at vet school, because if they won't let me then it'll make me a helluva lot more anxious and stressed!

It's alright though; I have a lot of friends in year 12, and they're going to help and support me. The teachers are aware of the situation and I have a support system being put in place - it's all very reassuring! Although I won't be doing my A levels this year, there are still end of year exams which I'd like to do alright in, if I'm able to. If I'm still as bad as I am now, then I will forgive myself and allow myself to just do what I can.

I know I initially made this blog meaning grades as 'results' but now, for me results mean just improving my grades. I have no big pressure to force myself to study so hard I fall even more ill, and so I will try and do what I've been told - to reward myself for the effort I make, because that in itself is an achievement for me when I'm feeling like the world is collapsing around me.
    Recovery = getting better mentally, and also improving my physical health.
    Results = being able to channel this improvement in my mental health into my work and keeping up when I move down to year 12.

People change, situations change, and therefore goals must change too.
    It's all gonna be okay.

ReputationRep:
    PSA: having days off for mental health are totally, and completely ok and valid!!
    If any of you guys out there are really struggling, please don't be too harsh on yourselves. :emog:
    Today is another day off for me so I thought I'd tell you what I do when I have a mental health day!

I have a lie in because as anyone knows, it can feel totally impossible to sometimes get out of bed in the morning.
    I get dressed because it makes me feel a bit more like I can start the day (and also I just hate staying in pyjamas all day for some odd reason).
    I have plenty of hot drinks! They're so comforting and make me feel like I'm looking after myself - Green tea and hot chocolates are my go-to.
    I do relaxing activities - reading and watching TV with a blanket, or even just drawing or browsing the internet. This is a day for my mind to rest and for me to look after myself because I've obviously taken it off for good reasons and I need to help myself feel better asap.
    I do some bullet journaling. This helps me feel productive and organised, so that even if I feel unable to do very much I can at least plan and set myself up for when I'm feeling a bit better.
    I get out of the house if I can; even if it's just to go to a local cafe and have another comforting drink, it's an accomplishment just getting out of the house and makes me feel better to get some fresh air
    Please remember to look after yourselves guys, health is the most important thing and when it's gone it can be really difficult to get back :heart:

(on another note I'm seriously impressed by all the emoticons TSR has to offer - like wow, those are a LOT:mmm::nyan::parrot::tinkywinky:)

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.