Turn on thread page Beta

James Bulger- 2 year old boy totured and killed watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you guys think the identity of Jon Venebals should be released?
    Should he stay as anonymous person who killed a innocent 2 year old boy?
    What are your thoughts in general over this horrific crime that had happened and to this day will still affect a lot of people?
    ^tortured

ReputationRep:
    I say either never release him as he has clearly not been reformed. Or release his identity. We have a right to know whether a child killing peadophile lives next door to me. Personally we should just strap him to an electric chair.

ReputationRep:
    source ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    I say either never release him as he has clearly not been reformed. Or release his identity. We have a right to know whether a child killing peadophile lives next door to me. Personally we should just strap him to an electric chair.
    I agree, ppl should have the right to know that there could be a pedo leaving right next to them and preeing their own child

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    source ?
    for what?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    source ?
    On the crime that happened years ago?
    Or on Venebals and his obsession with younger kids which gave him another 40 months in prison? Personally a longer sentence should of been given

ReputationRep:
    source ?
    For what? Everything the OP and I had said is factually correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EA436)
    for what?
    well for where this came from....

ReputationRep:
    For what? Everything the OP and I had said is factually correct
    oh ok , i was just wondering if there was an article i could read but it's fine
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Type in google 'James Bulger' and there are all your sources
    BBC news is reliable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    On the crime that happened years ago?
    Or on Venebals and his obsession with younger kids which gave him another 40 months in prison? Personally a longer sentence should of been given
    i say he should be given the electric chair
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What good will releasing his identity do? I mean, look at cases of mistaken identity. What's to stop some poor innocent man with the same name being beaten to death because someone mistakenly thinks he's Venables or Thompson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What good will releasing his identity do? I mean, look at cases of mistaken identity. What's to stop some poor innocent man with the same name being beaten to death because someone mistakenly thinks he's Venables or Thompson?
    Then don’t release him from prison.

ReputationRep:
    this is one of the most popular news stories out there. How have u not heard of it..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    I agree, ppl should have the right to know that there could be a pedo leaving right next to them and preeing their own child
    Sarah's Law allows you to do this.

ReputationRep:
    Then flip the switch on you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Then flip the switch on you?
    I beg your pardon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EA436)
    this is one of the most popular news stories out there. How have u not heard of it..
    i mean not everyone watches the news constantly , i watch the simpsons when i eat dinner XD

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I believe that his identity should not be released. If anything, I believe that they should have said the recent crimes he committed under his new name, rather then connecting the two crimes together - but not everything is perfect.

Why? Well, clearly they were two mentally ill 10 year olds when they committed the crimes. I'm not excusing the crime, obviously, but with the charge and the age they were, there was only a small chance they wouldn't become institutionalised. If you think about the crime that he recently committed, it is a simple crime - if you wanted to go to prison for a long time, it is a very easy crime to commit without guilt. It's clearly a bad crime, but in comparison to murder, rape, robbery, it's relatively low effort and low guilt.

Also, if his identity was released, the effects would be awful. I'm aware many people believe that he would deserve everything which would come to him, but he is a still a human. If someone were to attack him, it would just result in their prison sentence, and NHS money wasted. If he died, that is another murderer on a street, and 1,000 more people justifying murder - murder should never be justified. No good would come out of his identity being revealed, but no good came out of his identity being revealed after the murder either.

The crime, overall, was horrific. I live in the Bootle area, where it occurred, and I may not have been alive, but I know the effects. I've been to the shopping centre that James was abducted from, and my cousin was the same age at the time, and was in the shopping centre on the same day. It is terrifying to think that it could have been my cousin, but it could have been. Regardless, I cannot take the murderers for pure evil, and I believe people have failed them in rehabilitation and protection. As humans, they deserve this protection.

I also think the outcry for this 'justice' is stupid. We are not the professionals in this; we do not know what is best in these circumstances. The release of his name is unnecessary. I also believe that if there were an inquiry into the case, it would not go in the favour of the public. Having watched many documentaries and read lots about it, it seems to me that those in charge of the case believe that it was harsh the other way.

Regardless of my opinion anyway, obviously the crime was wrong and they should have served a prison sentence. I am also not a professional, so I've probably got facts wrong and don't know everything.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I went to school 5 minutes from where he was killed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.