Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle08)
    I suppose, but multiple sources say that Thompson was the child at the forefront of the murder plot, which potentially meant he got more attention within the rehabilitation process. Also, they were seperated and sent to different centres, so the rehabilitation was most probably different in those different places
    I doubt that the rehab process would have been hugely different, but point taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    So what happened to the other guy? (Just outta interest)
    I've read that he's gay and that his partner knows about his crime

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no reason why he should not be in prison - he's a danger to young children and clearly needs more help before he's deemed safe enough to be released into society, which unfortunately didn't happen last time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What good will releasing his identity do? I mean, look at cases of mistaken identity. What's to stop some poor innocent man with the same name being beaten to death because someone mistakenly thinks he's Venables or Thompson?
    Because people like mob justice, and don't trust the courts to punish people enough.

Personally, it sounds to me - as someone not invested in the case - that he should rot in jail.

But if the courts have decided that he should be released, we should remember that prison should not only be for punishment, but also for rehabilitation. Releasing his name would completely destroy any chance of the latter.

ReputationRep:
    He deserves to rot in prison. The story about him bragging about killing the child sickened me to the core.

ReputationRep:
    His identity is kept private for a reason and everybody knows why. If it was revealed he would be attacked, abused and quite possibly killed. What he did was terrible and he is obviously an incredibly troubled person.

However, releasing his identity would not be fair or just. No matter what someone has done, in my opinion they do not deserve to die. That is why I’m not an advocate for the death penalty. In many ways, having to live with what you have done is far far worse than dying. There is nothing after death, it would probably be a release - hence why suicide rates in prisons are so high.

All of those calling for his identity to be revealed are in reality saying it is okay for these terrible things to happen to him, as we all know they would. Regardless of what someone has done, committing a crime upon them is still a crime and that is still an awful thing to do.

He is serving a life sentence, the harsher sentence a court can impose upon someone. After his second offence post-murder I highly doubt that his 40 month sentence will mean he is released after 20 months. I highly doubt he will be released after the 40 if the parole board are involved.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Do you guys think the identity of Jon Venebals should be released?
    Should he stay as anonymous person who killed a innocent 2 year old boy?
    What are your thoughts in general over this horrific crime that had happened and to this day will still affect a lot of people?
    ^tortured
    No as it will just invite vigilantes to kill him. Let him stay locked up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you guys think the identity of Jon Venebals should be released?
    Should he stay as anonymous person who killed a innocent 2 year old boy?
    What are your thoughts in general over this horrific crime that had happened and to this day will still affect a lot of people?
    ^tortured
    Whilst the human side of me wants to say yes, the rational side says absolutely not. If the government were to do this it would be akin to executing him - which debate the merits of as you wish - is not how we do things here and would establish a truly evil precedent.

ReputationRep:
    First of all he should never have been released from prison because he's a sick ****. But since he has unfortunately been released I don't know because people should know if there is a sick **** living close to them or if they are hanging out with a murderer but if people knew who he was then people would almost certainly hunt him down and try to kill him. The simplest solution is to lock him up and throw away the keys.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    First of all he should never have been released from prison because he's a sick ****. But since he has unfortunately been released I don't know because people should know if there is a sick **** living close to them or if they are hanging out with a murderer but if people knew who he was then people would almost certainly hunt him down and try to kill him. The simplest solution is to lock him up and throw away the keys.
    I'm not disagreeing but its worth noting that the other one of them, by all accounts, has reintegrated back into society without any problems at all...

ReputationRep:
    Some key things that might help to be remembered here -

The people who need to know who they are will know who they are. This will include the people being responsible for keeping the public safe. Highly sensitive information like this is on a need to know basis for the overall good of society. Is it just the impression I’m getting or is it some sort of british value to think we all have a right to stick our noses everywhere and gossip to detract from our own life problems and personal failures?

If you were to somehow end up living next door to then you would most probably be told something of the danger, if there was any, after risk assessments etc have been done. Living 300 miles away is not need to know, it’s want to know.
    Similarly, if they get in any relationships and their partner has siblings with kids from example, then that would be need to know. Problem then comes with this gossiping and hate culture we seem to have if aforementioned siblings spread that onwards to people who didn’t need to know, such as their friends whom the person doesn’t have any contact with or mix with in anyway, because they wanted to tell them, not needed to. Situations like this can escalate very quickly, furthering exclusion rather than inclusion for these people.

So much stuff happens behind the scenes that ‘ordinary’ people just don’t realise.

We are all entitled to our own opinions here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I'm not disagreeing but its worth noting that the other one of them, by all accounts, has reintegrated back into society without any problems at all...
    The other guy has kept quiet since his release but Venables is clearly still a horrible excuse of a human so doesn't deserve any more chances because he's a danger to the public.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Unknown-99)
    The other guy has kept quiet since his release but Venables is clearly still a horrible excuse of a human so doesn't deserve any more chances because he's a danger to the public.
    Those chances are the reasons why hes going back out there and comminting crimes like searching indecent images of young kids
    How long is it gonna be when he does it again?

ReputationRep:
    Those chances are the reasons why hes going back out there and comminting crimes like searching indecent images of young kids
    How long is it gonna be when he does it again?
    Exactly. That’s my point. He doesn’t deserve any more chances. Lock him up and throw away the keys before the waste of space commits another horrible crime.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No as it will just invite vigilantes to kill him. Let him stay locked up.
    But if hes locked up, then theres also a chance he will get killed by prisoners who know his identity and what he did
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I've read that he's gay and that his partner knows about his crime
    How can someone sleep at night knowing that they are living with a child killer?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Apex1302)
    He deserves to rot in prison. The story about him bragging about killing the child sickened me to the core.
    And he wonders why the family wont forgive him
    No remorse, guilt or anything was shown
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    I disagree that people have failed them in rehab. Rehab has worked in the case of Robert Thompson. He hasn’t been in trouble since, Venebles has numerous times.
    What I dont get is that Thompson came from a more difficult background whereas Venebles came from a decent one and it was a good household
    How is that Robert recovered but Jon couldnt?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I went to school 5 minutes from where he was killed.
    Sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:
    I swear when i found out my blood was cold

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.