Turn on thread page Beta

Best philosophy books for beginners? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any recommandations?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts and am finding it particularly useful for where I am in my life at the moment. It was written a fair while ago but it isn't dated at all. It takes from philosophy of Zen Buddhism and translates it in a way which is easily applicable in western society.

It's not a heavy read and has actually got a bit of a laugh out of me here and there.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._of_Insecurity

ReputationRep:
    I know Think by Simon Blackburn is often recommended as a first book (although I haven't read much of it so I can't guarantee it)- it's not very big and easy to read.
    as for philosophical literature, I can personally recommend the outsider by Albert Camus (absurdist themes, fiction, very easy reading, kind of weird in a good way) and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (account of the author's personal experience of Auschwitz, focused on the psychology of the experience, v existentialist themes as it emphasises the human capacity to transcend their conditions)
    letters from a stoic is a collection of Seneca's letters, and I've only read one or two but they read beautifully.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.