Turn on thread page Beta

Not A Spleen: GCSE Grow Your Grades :D watch

ReputationRep:
    Hii, I'm in Year 11 so will be sitting my GCSE exams pretty soon.

I think this Grow Your Grades thing is a cool idea, hence the thread. I'm planning to update it at least once a week with details of my revision/school life/whatever, but first here's the important stuff:

October Mock Results:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language: 7
    English Literature: 7
    Maths: 8
    Biology: 7
    Chemistry: 7
    Physics: 7
    Geography: 7
    French: 7
    Religious Studies: 7

Predicted Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language: 8, Distinction
    English Literature: 8
    Maths: 9
    Biology: 8
    Chemistry: 8
    Physics: 8
    Geography: 8
    French: 8
    Religious Studies: 8

After Year 11:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm going to study A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths at sixth form. I'll also be doing an EPQ on Physics/Medical Ethics. After that, I'm hoping to study Medicine at university!

Random Extra Stuff:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - In my spare time I enjoy listening to music, reading and playing sports.
    - I'm quite introverted and shy, but confidence is something I'm working on.
    - I really like animals.
    - I volunteered at a school for children with disabilities over a period of six months and I really enjoyed it. I'm now currently trying to organise some work experience in a hospital and a primary school.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! They're a very solid set of mock results and I hope you do even better in your actual GCSEs Keep working hard, it will pay off eventually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racsoix)
    Good luck! They're a very solid set of mock results and I hope you do even better in your actual GCSEs Keep working hard, it will pay off eventually!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Monday 12th February

This is just going to be a post about how I revise, what I've revised so far and how I found my recent mocks (for which I get the results on the 23rd). I'll put it in spoilers because this might be a long post.

How I revise:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language:
    - Reading a lot
    - MrBruff YouTube videos
    - Exam questions

English Literature:
    - Reading the texts
    - Mindmaps
    - Analysed quote lists
    - Exam questions

Maths:
    - Exam questions

Biology/Chemistry/Physics:
    - Notes
    - Review questions
    - Exam questions

Geography:
    - Mindmaps
    - Exam questions

French:
    - Flashcards for vocabulary
    - Duolingo
    - Exam questions

Religious Studies:
    - Reading textbook
    - Quote lists
    - Exam questions

What I've Revised So Far:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - Biology Unit 1
    - Biology Unit 2
    - Biology Unit 3
    - Biology Unit 4
    - Biology Unit 5
    - Chemistry Unit 1
    - Chemistry Unit 2
    - Chemistry Unit 3
    - Chemistry Unit 4
    - Chemistry Unit 5
    - Chemistry Unit 6
    - Chemistry Unit 7
    - Physics Unit 1
    - Physics Unit 2
    - Physics Unit 3
    - Physics Unit 4
    - Geography Unit 2A
    - Geography Physical Fieldwork
    - Geography Human Fieldwork
    - Kamikaze
    - Exposure
    - Bayonet Charge
    - War Photographer
    - Poppies
    - Remains
    - Ozymandias

Recent Mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I finished my recent mocks on Friday after a hectic two weeks of exams. Here's a subject breakdown of how I felt about them:

English Language: English is usually my weakest subject, but I think I did quite well in these exams. The only question that I wasn't really happy with was Paper 2, Question 5 where I had to write a speech about what makes a good education and I rambled on about some irrelevant stuff.

English Literature: In October, English Literature was my lowest percentage grade. However in these ones I feel like my answers were strong, and I'm hoping I did well.

Maths: The papers were quite tough towards the end, but I'm pretty confident I've done well. Last time I was a few marks off a 9, and I think that'll be the case this time too.

Biology: Quite a bit harder than the last Biology mocks, however I'm confident with the vast majority of my answers so hopefully I've done well.

Chemistry: Paper 1 was great - I excel at quantitative stuff, which made up a lot of the paper. I'm very happy with how Chemistry went.

Physics: It was alright. I'm quite happy with how it went, but some of the questions I felt were a bit vague so some of my answers probably aren't specific enough to be sufficient.

Geography: Again, I found some of the questions to be a bit vague and ambiguous but I'm hoping I did decently.

French: In October my teacher made us do the Edexcel papers which were easy. However our actual exam board is AQA, so this time we did the AQA papers - they're so much harder. I struggled with the exams and doubt I've achieved any higher than a 6. I'm not too bothered about this as it just shows that my French needs working on.

Religious Studies: This went fine. I never really revise for it but I seem to get consistent 7s. I'm happy with how it went.

So that's my mocks. I get the results back on the 23rd, and I'll put them in an update on this thread. I'm hoping for mostly 7s, with a couple of 8s and one or two 6s.

Today I'm writing notes on Physics Unit 5, and making a quote list for Religious Studies Unit 1A. Then I'll probably read a bit of An Inspector Calls as I've neglected it a bit recently.

I'm also really happy because my mum bought some Shreddies and they're actually amazing

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sounds like you're doing well. It'd be great if you could check out my gyg
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You did so well in your mocks!!! I've also applied for biology chemistry and maths (and eenglish lit) for a level but I am planning on dropping one!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.