Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am leaving secondary school this year to go on to study at college and I would like to staying in contact with one of my teachers. She has been a huge influence on my life and has helped me get through so much over the past few months. She said that she would like to stay in contact after I leave to see how I've been getting on and to see how much I progress. Should I stay in contact after I leave or is it a bit weird considering I'm leaving after my gcses?

Any opinions would be great!

I’m kind of in the same situation.

I changed sixth forms and when I left my maths teacher at the time gave me his personal email. He was very supportive throughout my time there and said he wished me the best and thought I was a good person + said I should visit the sixth form again some time to give him an update.

I’ve only emailed him asking for a reference but that’s it. Idk, it’s nothing inappropriate at all but I do sometimes want to tell him how well things are going for me right now academically.

In the situation you describe it's not weird at all. You have a caring teacher and I am sure that she wants to know how you get on. I am still in touch with a few former pupils and occasionally get emailed by others asking for advice with studies.

However, all these friendships have been instigated by the students, and for recent students I only use my work email. I wouldn't give my personal email address or ask a student to contact me after they left in case this was interpreted in the wrong way.

me and some of my friends went out and got drunk with 2 of our teachers when sixth form finished lol

also I remember adding my primary school teachers on facebook when we left, but I deleted facebook

Drop by to the school. Or send an email here and there. It really makes a real difference to the teacher if a student shows it

That's not weird at all. If your teacher has been a big influence on you and they are willing to stay in touch, why not?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

make it so that you only tell them about academic and professional events that have occurred.

Personally I am still in contact with one of my chemistry teachers. They helped me change my grade from literally a U to an A* within the space of a year allowing me to do my dream course. The amount of time they spent with me, basically giving free private tuition, aswell as application help was unbelievable. I certainly repaid them with a pricey bottle of their choice at the end but they never asked for this and were purely doing it as they were in a similar position at school and didn't get to do their dream job ultimately.

We email occasionally and it isn't weird at all. I am going back there sometime next year to do a talk on applying to my course and do some interview practice.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.