Turn on thread page Beta

Staying in touch with teachers watch

I am leaving secondary school this year to go on to study at college and I would like to staying in contact with one of my teachers. She has been a huge influence on my life and has helped me get through so much over the past few months. She said that she would like to stay in contact after I leave to see how I've been getting on and to see how much I progress. Should I stay in contact after I leave or is it a bit weird considering I'm leaving after my gcses?

Any opinions would be great!

ReputationRep:
    Yes

I’m kind of in the same situation.

I changed sixth forms and when I left my maths teacher at the time gave me his personal email. He was very supportive throughout my time there and said he wished me the best and thought I was a good person + said I should visit the sixth form again some time to give him an update.

I’ve only emailed him asking for a reference but that’s it. Idk, it’s nothing inappropriate at all but I do sometimes want to tell him how well things are going for me right now academically.

ReputationRep:
    In the situation you describe it's not weird at all. You have a caring teacher and I am sure that she wants to know how you get on. I am still in touch with a few former pupils and occasionally get emailed by others asking for advice with studies.

However, all these friendships have been instigated by the students, and for recent students I only use my work email. I wouldn't give my personal email address or ask a student to contact me after they left in case this was interpreted in the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    me and some of my friends went out and got drunk with 2 of our teachers when sixth form finished lol

also I remember adding my primary school teachers on facebook when we left, but I deleted facebook

ReputationRep:
    Drop by to the school. Or send an email here and there. It really makes a real difference to the teacher if a student shows it

ReputationRep:
    That's not weird at all. If your teacher has been a big influence on you and they are willing to stay in touch, why not?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    make it so that you only tell them about academic and professional events that have occurred.

Personally I am still in contact with one of my chemistry teachers. They helped me change my grade from literally a U to an A* within the space of a year allowing me to do my dream course. The amount of time they spent with me, basically giving free private tuition, aswell as application help was unbelievable. I certainly repaid them with a pricey bottle of their choice at the end but they never asked for this and were purely doing it as they were in a similar position at school and didn't get to do their dream job ultimately.

We email occasionally and it isn't weird at all. I am going back there sometime next year to do a talk on applying to my course and do some interview practice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.