Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am not thinking of doing a law degree but I have heard that apparently a law degree from even London Met is still useful but I always thought that for law only a degree from the top 10 unis is useful, is a law degree from a lower ranked uni really is still useful?

ReputationRep:
    Is Surrey a top ten?

ReputationRep:
    Yes - I know people who have been to unis low down in the league tables and been lawyers
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    You do a degree for a purpose (or should do).

Not all people doing a law degree want to be lawyers.

Whether the law profession respects these courses is a different question.

ReputationRep:
    honest answer, no. people who give "nice" answers all the time really piss me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    honest answer, no. people who give "nice" answers all the time really piss me off
    We are so appreciative that we have wise-beyond-his-years CollectiveSoul here with us to dispel the myths and dose us with a little true talk.

Thank you again, CS!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    People will always quote examples of people who did law at really low-ranked universities and still got training contracts, but it's going to be far harder and rarer for those people to go far in the law profession.

It's not impossible, but you give yourself a far better chance by attending a top 5 university. (This is what I've always been told by lawyers when I do work experience at law firms).

ReputationRep:
    my sides hurt from reading this.

i have noticed alot of universities in london, brag about how close they are to the City and Canary Wharf, as if by osmosis the will enhance the quality of the degree and its prospects, it doesnt.

You would probably earn more as a paralegal than lawyer from non rg uni
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    We are so appreciative that we have wise-beyond-his-years CollectiveSoul here with us to dispel the myths and dose us with a little true talk.

Thank you again, CS!
    It wont let me rep you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hannah00)

i have noticed alot of universities in london, brag about how close they are to the City and Canary Wharf, as if by osmosis the will enhance the quality of the degree and its prospects, it doesnt.

Can you explain your last sentence please and what you base it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    People will always quote examples of people who did law at really low-ranked universities and still got training contracts, but it's going to be far harder and rarer for those people to go far in the law profession.
    People always quote the successes from Oxbridge, and never the few every year who end up on the dole and on smack. For the purposes of this question, OP's degree would be sufficiently respected if they are willing and capable to work hard and secure VS and TC opportunities. Ultimately, that willingness and capability to work hard is what distinguishes the successful applicant from the unsuccessful, rather than the university name on the degree certificate.

I find your second point, quite frankly, ludicrous. If you're good enough to be accepted by a law firm or a set, you're good enough to set up shop and go far. Even if your future is premised on your uni, which really means your future success is premised on how well you did at A-Level and IB, your point fails for one simple reason. There are excellent applicants every year who decline offers to Golden Triangle unis to go to the likes of Liverpool and Surrey. Those people, with A*A*A*, under your superficial system, should be equally equipped to excel at a law firm -- after successfully getting a TC -- as the A*A*A* student who went to Durham.

It's not impossible, but you give yourself a far better chance by attending a top 5 university. (This is what I've always been told by lawyers when I do work experience at law firms).
    That's the important point. It is possible for the OP to get to the top. That's because firms would respect OP's degree enough to give OP the chance. Do firms respect OP's law degree? Simply, yes.

ReputationRep:

That osmosis metaphor doesn't work at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It wont let me rep you.
    It's the thought that counts anyway.

You need to be more generous to other posters, then you won't get the PRSOM. Sharing is caring.

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Haha, I noticed that too.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty accurate. Quite a few people seem to think that being physically proximate to the City during their degrees will get them jobs there. It's effective, but fundamentally silly, marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Can you explain your last sentence please and what you base it on?
    its based on my own research and networking, I dont think its worth dissecting over the next 10 pages with you, as you clearly have very strong held beliefs about non rg unis.

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    the process of gradual or unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge, etc.

an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to betaken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    It's the thought that counts anyway.

You need to be more generous to other posters, then you won't get the PRSOM. Sharing is caring.

Haha, I noticed that too.
    Just where its deserved. I shall make it right. Have to stay away from such threads as these though. People are obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    Law is very competitive. The most important thing is to get the 1st or 2.1. Due to competitiveness and everyone getting a 2.1 and 1st, the university unfortunately does matter.

Also, not every law firm wants a law graduate. They would much rather train you...be different and stand out.

ReputationRep:
    its based on my own research and networking, I dont think its worth dissecting over the next 10 pages with you, as you clearly have very strong held beliefs about non rg unis.

an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to betaken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”.
    why dont you just provide the links to this research? then people can read through it if they want to.

ReputationRep:
    I've been walking past Gibson Dunn every day for the past two years. I was rejected by them a week after sending in my application. Someone teach me how to do this osmosis thing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

I don't get it, but osmosis closely defined by water potential, which, simply put, is water pressure (proportional to concentration) and it's tendency to move from A to B. I really don't understand what that has to do with a London uni's proximity relative to a city firm.

If you wanted a science analogy, perhaps equating the uni in question as a dull-black surface and the city firm as infrared radiation would've made a lot more sense.

But I clearly digress.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.