Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How would you handle this companies exploration Costs, lets call the company X

I was given this as extra work on outside of class and i'm super stuck, no one else in my class has attempted this so i'm coming to you for help!! I have to advise the FD on how to respond to this situation..

It’s a fuel company like Shell/Esso etc, been told to use $'000

During the year ended 31 December 2016, X conducted exploratory drilling in two sites where research suggested oil may be present.

The costs of the research and exploratory drilling of $762m, was of $400m for Site 1 and $362m for Site 2, were capitalised as exploration and evaluation assets on X’s SOFP

During 2017, work continued at both sites. X concluded that oil was present at both sites. Site 1 HAD oil reserves of 1,501 million barrels. X plans to continue extraction of this oil in 2018. At Site 2, X was satisfied that oil was present. However, but X supposed that extraction of oil would not be commercially viable due to the geological nature of the site.

X therefore abandoned drilling at the Site 2. X’s accountants were unsure how to update the accounts in response to this new information, therefore left the exploration and evaluation assets for these sites unchanged from 2016 at $762m.

idk what IFRS standard to apply to this, and what to Dr or Cr on what statements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bummp
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Doonesbury You wouldn't happen to know any accountacy users on here that could help the lovely squirrel out, would you Mr Doonesbury Sir?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Doonesbury You wouldn't happen to know any accountacy users on here that could help the lovely squirrel out, would you Mr Doonesbury Sir?
    Nope, sorry

I could have a go at it myself but I'm not remotely up to date on FRS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Nope, sorry

I could have a go at it myself but I'm not remotely up to date on FRS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's okay :console:

Oml don't worry about trying to do it yourself :no: You've done more than enough :yep: Thanks for your assistance

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.