Turn on thread page Beta

Advice? watch

Announcements

My older sister (17) has been hurting me (12) both physically and emotionally since the beginning of year 7 (about a year and a half) I used to have an alcoholic father who used to call her names as well, and I assume she lets out her anger on me.

Everyday I am forced to do chores for her- eg: Tidy her room multiple times a day, vacuum, etc, and if I refuse to do so, she kicks me to the ground, pulls me by the hair, and on one occasion made me faint due to the pain. As well as this, she constantly swears at me and calls me names. Sometimes she destroys my schoolbooks or stabs me with scissors just for the fun of it. I can’t have a normal conversation with her without feeling uncomfortable and anxious. It started as pushing light hitting, but now has escalated.

Recently, I’ve found it difficult to cope with the stress and pain she has put me through on a day to day basis. I have told my mum about this, and she is well aware about the situation. I’ve asked her to see a therapist, but she told me to suck it up. When I feel down, as a joke she tells me to cut myself.

I just don’t know what to do anymore- has anyone got any advice?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My older sister (17) has been hurting me (12) both physically and emotionally since the beginning of year 7 (about a year and a half) I used to have an alcoholic father who used to call her names as well, and I assume she lets out her anger on me.

Everyday I am forced to do chores for her- eg: Tidy her room multiple times a day, vacuum, etc, and if I refuse to do so, she kicks me to the ground, pulls me by the hair, and on one occasion made me faint due to the pain. As well as this, she constantly swears at me and calls me names. Sometimes she destroys my schoolbooks or stabs me with scissors just for the fun of it. I can’t have a normal conversation with her without feeling uncomfortable and anxious. It started as pushing light hitting, but now has escalated.

Recently, I’ve found it difficult to cope with the stress and pain she has put me through on a day to day basis. I have told my mum about this, and she is well aware about the situation. I’ve asked her to see a therapist, but she told me to suck it up. When I feel down, as a joke she tells me to cut myself.

It is your mums responsibility to sort it out as its serious and shouldnt be happening.
    Any older siblings you can trust?

In that event then I would strongly suggest you cannot let this continue as it is wrong and you shouldnt have to tolerate it.

You can try:

1. Childline for someone confidential to speak to 08001111

2. Your GP. tell him its confidential and you cannot continue if he doesnt respect that vis a vis your mum.

3. A teacher at school.

4. If worst came to the worst then social services.

I can imagine its stressful and makes you feel miserable, but dont listen to the nasty names and as far as possible ignore your sister. If she doesnt stop then keep a diary online of the things she does and photo any marks or injuries she inflicts on you. If it gets serious and your mum wont do anything then you will have to tell someone so something is done about it.

If you are unsure of what to say, then just print off your post here and hand it to one of the above people.

Take care and dont lose hope. Your task is simply to survive intact. Hopefully your sister will move out or stop once someone intervenes. If its you or your family then you have to pick yourself and do not put up with it. Survive and take care. If it gets difficult or you get stuck, then post back.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)

That must be really difficult for you to deal with. The above poster has suggested some good people you can talk to. I would definitely give childline a go. They are there to help children, teens and young adults with anything that's bothering them and will be sympathetic to the sort of unique situations a young person can face. It's confidential, free and they can also help you talk to other people if you want. They have some useful info and advice on their site too which you might like to check out. You can talk to them using their 1-2-1 chat service if you don't feel like calling.
    https://www.childline.org.uk/get-sup...unsellor-chat/

It's difficult when somebody close to you is treating you badly and it's often difficult for parents to know how to react to issues between siblings, but you should never have to accept being treated in a way that makes you feel scared or hurt by anybody and you have every right to get support in feeling safe and comfortable. People like childline can hep you with that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.