The Student Room Group

calculate what i need to get 2:1

Hi i need help with calculating my grade. In my second year, i did 4 modules and they all was 30 credits. My overall grades for all modules was 62,52,50,57. Iv been told that lower second 2:2. Now that I'm in my last year doing 4 modules again all 30 credits one of them being dissertation i want to know what i grade/percentage i need in order to achieve 2:1? Im not sure how it is calculated. So far i only done 2 assignments for 2 different modules and i received 75 in one and 58 in the other one.Can someone help?
Reply 1
only want to folllow the thread, so no answer sorry
You got 55.25 in second year, so you need 64.75 on average across your 4 modules this year (assuming 50:50 weighting across both years)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by robika24
Hi i need help with calculating my grade. In my second year, i did 4 modules and they all was 30 credits. My overall grades for all modules was 62,52,50,57. Iv been told that lower second 2:2. Now that I'm in my last year doing 4 modules again all 30 credits one of them being dissertation i want to know what i grade/percentage i need in order to achieve 2:1? Im not sure how it is calculated. So far i only done 2 assignments for 2 different modules and i received 75 in one and 58 in the other one.Can someone help?

Hi,

In order to calculate what you need, we need to know what the weighting of each of the years is like, and how everything is calculated. For example, although most uni's don't tend to count the first year towards the overall grade, some do - and also, some universities allow you to drop modules and others don't etc. Finding out how to calculate this (via the universities handbook/regulations) would be a good way of helping on this.

Also, regarding the modules you're doing in year 3, the weighting of coursework to exams can vary significantly by module - knowing this would also help etc.

I'll also ask the Community Team to move this over to the universities section, where you will probably get more help :smile:
Original post by Exceptional
You got 55.25 in second year, so you need 64.75 on average across your 4 modules this year

Depends on the weighting of the years... Most universities tend to do a 25:75 ratio for Year 2:Year 3, though looking at the uni handbook would definitely help clarify this :smile:
Original post by spotify95
Depends on the weighting of the years... Most universities tend to do a 25:75 ratio for Year 2:Year 3, though looking at the uni handbook would definitely help clarify this :smile:

Yes, I assumed 50:50, I'll edit if the OP updates with the weightings
Reply 7
Thank you! And yes I forgot to mention that third year counts 70% of overall grades and second year counts 30%. I hope that helps?
Thank you! And yes I forgot to mention that third year counts 70% of overall grades and second year counts 30%. I hope that helps?

(0.3)(221/4)+(0.7)(X) = 60

X = 62.04

You need 62, over the 4 modules, in your third year in order to get a 2.1 overall.

As above. Plus most unis have ways of upgrading students who get close to the band above. Many have a policy along the lines of 'If you get within x% of the higher grade and you have y third year credits in the higher band you get upgraded'. This varies from uni to uni, so check your degree classification regulations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending