Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infiinitee_)
    Does anyone know how much UCL weighs the essay? I’ve gotten a pretty dismal score of 21 on the MCQ but haven’t heard back from UCL. Really want to get an offer.
    They take it into quite a bit of consideration (-:

ReputationRep:
    I scored a 28 and still haven’t received offers from Glasgow, UCL, or Bristol... (Haven’t gotten rejected yet though haha 😬) Does anyone know if it takes a bit longer if you’re coming from overseas?

ReputationRep:
    I got 19 on the lnat and was incredibly depressed, thinking my chances for kcl were over, but two hours after I got my results, I got my offer from kings. I'm an international student btw so don't lose hope if you're around that score!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks congratulations once again. Have you applied anywhere else and when did you hear back from UCL?
    Yeah I also applied to Kings as my other LNAT choice. I heard back from UCL at the start of the year I believe and sent my application in October.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much UCL weighs the essay? I’ve gotten a pretty dismal score of 21 on the MCQ but haven’t heard back from UCL. Really want to get an offer.
    Come on, chin up! "a pretty dismal score" - You are above the average!

When you take in to consideration that in general, "prestigious" Universities require the LNAT (which immediately attracts a higher level applicant, and therefore the average will be higher than the average GCSE result), you did great!

I have read in a number of places that UCL place more weight on the essay. I believe a lot of Uni's are 75% MCQ. Here is a quote from the UCL Admissions Team:

The LNAT essay is given considerable weight in our consideration as it is the only piece of writing that we receive under exam conditions, and demonstrates a candidates abilities to reason, argue and to construct a cohesive essay.’

As for marking criteria of the essay (which is given a numerical mark), the below should be quite illuminating to the question:

When assessing the essay, admissions tutors will consider
    • Aptitude for reasoning skills
      Including high-level comprehension, interpretation, analysis, synthesis, ability to draw broad and fine distinctions, induction and deduction
    • Aptitude for exploring arguments and ideas
      Including in writing, the ability to formulate, develop and defend argument
    • Communication
      Including accuracy of syntax, breadth of vocabulary and ability to formulate ideas succinctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new1234)
    Yeah I also applied to Kings as my other LNAT choice. I heard back from UCL at the start of the year I believe and sent my application in October.
    I see thank you for the information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDCo)
    Come on, chin up! "a pretty dismal score" - You are above the average!

When you take in to consideration that in general, "prestigious" Universities require the LNAT which immediately attracts a higher level applicant and therefore the average will be higher than the average GCSE result for example, you did great!

I have read in a number of places that UCL place more weight on the essay. I believe a lot of Uni's are 75% MCQ. Here is a quote from the UCL Admissions Team:

‘The LNAT essay is given considerable weight in our consideration as it is the only piece of writing that we receive under exam conditions, and demonstrates a candidates abilities to reason, argue and to construct a cohesive essay.’

As for marking criteria of the essay (which is given a numerical mark), the below should be quite illuminating to the question:

When assessing the essay, admissions tutors will consider
    • Aptitude for reasoning skills
      Including high-level comprehension, interpretation, analysis, synthesis, ability to draw broad and fine distinctions, induction and deduction
    • Aptitude for exploring arguments and ideas
      Including in writing, the ability to formulate, develop and defend argument
    • Communication
      Including accuracy of syntax, breadth of vocabulary and ability to formulate ideas succinctly.
    Thank you so much for your kind words and information as you mentioned it’s 75% MCQ, do you believe this to be the case for UCL as well?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your kind words and information as you mentioned it’s 75% MCQ, do you believe this to be the case for UCL as well?
    Don't be disheartened. I have seen people on this board saying that they had received an offer from UCL with a score of 21. You can see from this thread that Kings are going even lower. Just remember - the LNAT is only a portion of your application that includes your academic predicted grades and your personal statement! The LNAT is not the single indicator of suitability and assessment. There are people who do not make it in to Oxford with LNAT scores of 36 (this was shown through a FOI request).

It seems to be common knowledge that UCL give more weight to the essay, but just remember. Its just another component of your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDCo)
    Don't be disheartened. I have seen people on this board saying that they had received an offer from UCL with a score of 21. You can see from this thread that Kings are going even lower. Just remember - the LNAT is only a portion of your application that includes your academic predicted grades and your personal statement! The LNAT is not the single indicator of suitability and assessment. There are people who do not make it in to Oxford with LNAT scores of 36 (this was shown through a FOI request).

It seems to be common knowledge that UCL give more weight to the essay, but just remember. Its just another component of your application!
    Yep I have no problem firming KCL which seems to be my first choice now I’m really scared of my ps since that’s what LSE rejected me on but from what I gathered, LSE requires a REALLY top notch PS. Hopefully mines good enough for UCL

UCLs focus on the essay surprised me a bit as most unis, as you said, focused more on the MCQ portion. Out of curiosity, have you applied to, or heard from, UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Yep I have no problem firming KCL which seems to be my first choice now I’m really scared of my ps since that’s what LSE rejected me on but from what I gathered, LSE requires a REALLY top notch PS. Hopefully mines good enough for UCL

UCLs focus on the essay surprised me a bit as most unis, as you said, focused more on the MCQ portion. Out of curiosity, have you applied to, or heard from, UCL?
    I have applications in to LSE/KCL/UCL etc. I have not received a rejection from any of the Universities yet, all are considering my application. I would say however that I am perhaps in a slightly different set of circumstances to yourself as I am a mature student who is currently completing an Access to HE Diploma. I don't know if the goalposts are in a different place but, something to consider!

I have spoken with a member of TSR who is essentially, at the exact same place as I in terms of Access to HE, has scored similar marks to me (Distinctions), achieved a broadly similar LNAT score (He scored 1 mark more) and he has received an offer for KCL but not UCL yet.

If you are curious, my latest UCL update was that they were considering my application having received an updated grade profile.

I don't know if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDCo)
    I have applications in to LSE/KCL/UCL etc. I have not received a rejection from any of the Universities yet, all are considering my application. I would say however that I am perhaps in a slightly different set of circumstances to yourself as I am a mature student who is currently completing an Access to HE Diploma. I don't know if the goalposts are in a different place but, something to consider!

I have spoken with a member of TSR who is essentially, at the exact same place as I in terms of Access to HE, has scored similar marks to me (Distinctions), achieved a broadly similar LNAT score (He scored 1 mark more) and he has received an offer for KCL but not UCL yet.

If you are curious, my latest UCL update was that they were considering my application having received an updated grade profile.

I don't know if that helps?
    Ahhh I see what did you get for your LNAT?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see what did you get for your LNAT?
    I got 26. A little upset I didn't score a whopping 30 (or something) but, its enough for me to be competitive at pretty much any Uni i'd say!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got 27 and have offers from Oxford, LSE and UCL. Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    34/42-rejected by oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalila)
    if you don't mind me asking what are your GCSE grades and predicted a level? thanks
    its chill.
    -GCSE - A*AAAAABBCC
    -AS- AAAB
    -A level predicted- A*A*A*

ReputationRep:
    I got 23, I’m happy as i was expecting it to be under 20 haha, i applied to oxford, lse, Ucl, Queens and Exeter. Rejected from oxford after interview and rejected from LSE. Offers from queens and Exeter, but still waiting to hear from UCL. Considering i got rejected from LSE i don’t think I’ll get an offer. Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah167)
    I got 23, I’m happy as i was expecting it to be under 20 haha, i applied to oxford, lse, Ucl, Queens and Exeter. Rejected from oxford after interview and rejected from LSE. Offers from queens and Exeter, but still waiting to hear from UCL. Considering i got rejected from LSE i don’t think I’ll get an offer. Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UCL?
    Waiting for UCL here. Im just sitting tight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosietr)
    Got 24. Have unconditional offers from Durham and KCL, conditional offer from Edinburgh and rejection from LSE.
    Waiting on UCL!
    Hey! If you don't mind, what were you A-Level grades? And did you like apply last year too? I got rejected by UCL and Kings bcs of my Lnat and thinking to give it next year and then apply after I receive my A-level grades! I'm in As level at the moment! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    Yes I am so ready to find out! I’m guessing my result won’t be awful but I have honestly no idea how I’ve done - it’s so hard to tell with the LNAT!

I’ve received offers from Oxford, LSE, UCL, King’s and Southampton. What about everyone else?
    Hey! If you don't mind, what are you As level grades and what Lnat score did you get? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daud Mustafa)
    Hey! If you don't mind, what are you As level grades and what Lnat score did you get? Thanks
    I got an A in Law at AS Level, it was the only exam I took. I got 29/42 with the cohort average being 19.9.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.