Turn on thread page Beta

Didn't get any Spring Weeks, chances of landing unpaid experience at a boutique? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, I've unfortunately not been blessed with an ever so coveted SW this year. Just wondering whether it's worth it to cold call boutiques and ask for unpaid experience this spring/summer, and if anyone has any advice for approaching them or personal experience they can give if you've been in my position. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can try, but the reality is lots of other students do this and the vast majority of them get nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaana)
    As the title says, I've unfortunately not been blessed with an ever so coveted SW this year. Just wondering whether it's worth it to cold call boutiques and ask for unpaid experience this spring/summer, and if anyone has any advice for approaching them or personal experience they can give if you've been in my position. Thanks
    Imo go for start ups, you will have much more chances. Cold calling/emailing is almost pointless, I would at least network before asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaana)
    Is this for IBD? If so...

Probably extremely hard/impossible to do at the well-known boutiques like Lazard, Evercore etc.

Worth trying at very small or regional focused corporate finance firms. Given that any unpaid work experience at the firms is likely to be quite 'informal' (i.e. no comprehensive training), you would be best off approaching any applications having learned quite a bit about valuations and corporate finance. Also best to approach it via the networking path - try and see if anyone from your uni/school works in one of these firms and take it from there. Make sure any internship you get is reasonable in length (i.e. 2-6 weeks would be ideal) since coming out with some solid modelling experience would look great and prep you very well for summer internship interviews.

If this does not work try and go for experiences which allow you to gain the key competencies that IBanks look for: entrepreneurial spirit, relationship building, quantitative ability, cultural awareness etc. Work experience does not necessarily have to be finance based - working as a business analyst at a small startup could allow you to gain strong business/commercial acumen and give you reasonable responsibility.

best of luck

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.