Jacob Reese Mogg?
    Phil Hammond
    London Banking
    Ireland Border?

ReputationRep:
    Fluffy slippers
    lovely rabbits

ReputationRep:
    unlikely, gordon brown was more unpopular and went on for much longer.

Most likely Amber Rudd will succeed her , when may steps down in 2019 after delivering brexit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    unlikely, gordon brown was more unpopular and went on for much longer.

Most likely Amber Rudd will succeed her , when may steps down in 2019 after delivering brexit
    I dont think she would survive tbf.

I think Phil Hammond would be a logical choice.

But if Brexit goes badly labour will likely win in a landslide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Fluffy slippers
    lovely rabbits

ahhh if it were all so simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    I dont think she would survive tbf.

I think Phil Hammond would be a logical choice.

But if Brexit goes badly labour will likely win in a landslide.
    There is no obvious winning coalition in the Conservative that can defeat May.

History suggests, she will simply carry on as a diminished figure and then pass power onto her chosen successor when she is too weak.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Curren Brexit thoughts: still a terrible idea
    Will it bring down May: Probably not. The Conservative cabinet and backbenchers are both in the nice position where all of the flak can be aimed at May and to her credit, she does a good job of completely ignoring everything. Until it becomes convenient to get rid of her and put in someone who can actually win an election it makes sense to have her where she is. I say this as someone who really doesn't like the current government, by the way. It seems the only Conservative MPs I've seen talking any sense at the moment are Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry.

ReputationRep:

History suggests, she will simply carry on as a diminished figure and then pass power onto her chosen successor when she is too weak.
    Shes leading the UK into being a vassal state of the EU,

wether thats true or not, her not being unable to disparage that statement seems pretty weak to me.

How much weaker can she get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Curren Brexit thoughts: still a terrible idea
    Will it bring down May: Probably not. The Conservative cabinet and backbenchers are both in the nice position where all of the flak can be aimed at May and to her credit, she does a good job of completely ignoring everything. Until it becomes convenient to get rid of her and put in someone who can actually win an election it makes sense to have her where she is. I say this as someone who really doesn't like the current government, by the way. It seems the only Conservative MPs I've seen talking any sense at the moment are Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry.

I feel the referendum should have been held after the US presidential election, making drastic economic and nation decisions should be made without knowing who is US president and what the environment is like,

The UK has always been an island, but its definitely on a political raft in the ocean now.

No friends to the left (US), no friends to the right (EU)

seems a bit harsh..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel the referendum should have been held after the US presidential election, making drastic economic and nation decisions should be made without knowing who is US president and what the environment is like,

The UK has always been an island, but its definitely on a political raft in the ocean now.

No friends to the left (US), no friends to the right (EU)

seems a bit harsh..
    The timing of the referendum isn't really an issue for me. Cameron had to offer it soon into his second term to appease people like Rees-Mogg and Davis.

Unfortunately, it seems like our government is quite happy to cush up Trump's administration simply for lack of other options.

Right now, I think our best chance is with abandoning Brexit and properly integrating into the EU rather than trying to take advantage of it as we have been for the last few years. Having a strong European identity does not preclude a strong British identity!

ReputationRep:
    Shes leading the UK into being a vassal state of the EU,

wether thats true or not, her not being unable to disparage that statement seems pretty weak to me.

How much weaker can she get?
    ??? apples and oranges
    Hard to take you seriously when you make such flippant comments

ReputationRep:
    ??? apples and oranges
    Hard to take you seriously when you make such flippant comments
    Sorry forget to say, she isnt really countering any arguments or setting forth a clear plan for what she wants to have done on Brexit, i feel like we hear every politicians opinion on it daily in the news except hers, which is supposed to sort of guide the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    The timing of the referendum isn't really an issue for me. Cameron had to offer it soon into his second term to appease people like Rees-Mogg and Davis.

Unfortunately, it seems like our government is quite happy to cush up Trump's administration simply for lack of other options.

Right now, I think our best chance is with abandoning Brexit and properly integrating into the EU rather than trying to take advantage of it as we have been for the last few years. Having a strong European identity does not preclude a strong British identity!
    I think England is a leader of Europe, and likely could have been for a long time. I'm not sure why it felt so betrayed, sure the UK has its issues, but every developed nation does. I would say the US has more then Europe and the UK combined.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Her staying power is the one thing I almost respect about her, she's like a bad smell and wont go away.
    With that being said she more resembles humpty dumpty at the moment and but the smallest well timed gust of wind will knock her down. Enemies to the left and right, no mandate to lead, deeply unpopular and so on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Napp)
    no mandate to lead, deeply unpopular
    She won the general election, how does that not give her a mandate to lead?
    She wouldn't have been elected if she was deeply unpopular she is only hated by the hard brexiteers of Bojo and Reece-mogg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    She wouldn't have been elected if she was deeply unpopular she is only hated by the hard brexiteers of Bojo and Reece-mogg.
    She didn't win the election. She lost her majority. She will be gone the second the Brexit deal is signed or not signed. And if she doesn't jump, she will be pushed in the blood-thirsty show of backstabbing that only the Tories can rise to.

ReputationRep:
    I see Brexit and I'm reminded of that moment in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 when their ship is shot down with Drax flailing behind, hitting every tree possible, and when everythings over, the ship is in ruins with one idiot going "YES THAT WAS AWESOME!!".

Brexit will kill May's political career, if her tory colleagues are smart (big if) they'll wait until after brexit to carry out the coup de grace.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    She lost the least - no one can claim she 'won'...
    If you mean her election as leader - she wasnt elected, she won by default, on the other hand if you mean the election the fact she lost a majority and awarded significant gains to a far left kook speaks volumes for her popularity.
    She's hated by them for being to soft, shes hated by the opposite numbers for being too hard and shes hated by everyone else for doing everything humanly possible to botch Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Her staying power is the one thing I almost respect about her, she's like a bad smell and wont go away.
    With that being said she more resembles humpty dumpty at the moment and but the smallest well timed gust of wind will knock her down. Enemies to the left and right, no mandate to lead, deeply unpopular and so on.
    I think its less about her own individual ability and more about the incumbent advantage. She can win new supporters, change her top team etc etc

Enemies to the left at this stage are not relevant to her survival, as long as there is no viable alternative faction in her party, she will carry on.

Boris Johnson and co are not a majority in the party.

The mandate comes from being the leader of the largest party and parties who in their manifesto said they wanted to leave EU getting over 2/3rds of the seats
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    [QUOTE=hannah00;76071460]I think its less about her own individual ability and more about the incumbent advantage. She can win new supporters, change her top team etc etc

Enemies to the left at this stage are not relevant to her survival, as long as there is no viable alternative faction in her party, she will carry on.[/qupte]
    Potentially.
    I meant on either side, not just politial left/right. At any rate quite a few people take the view that any alternative is a better alternative. The fact they are putting petty party politics ahead of the national interest is reprehensible though.

Boris Johnson and co are not a majority in the party.
    Are you talking about party members or MPs?

The mandate comes from being the leader of the largest party and parties who in their manifesto said they wanted to leave EU getting over 2/3rds of the seats
    The mandate was lost firstly when she didnt win the leadership contest - a default is somewhat different. Next she lost it when she made the ruling party a minority by pissing all over her election.
    Other parties manifestos have absolutely nothing to do with her supposed mandate..?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.