Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If there's one thing May's amazing at, it's taking knockbacks like nothing's happened. She could walk down the street and have 3 anvils dropped on her but keep going like absolutely nothing's happened. She's not much good at anything else, but she's good at that.

I don't think she's gonna get replaced until she's delivered her (probably trash) version of brexit, it's not like the rest of the Tories are unanimously supporting one candidate other than her. While the Mogg cannot be clogged, it's only the internet and the news that really care about him. I don't think the man himself is even hugely enthusiastic, though he technically hasn't ruled a PM job out afaik:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/...nister-family/

(spoiler alert: The headline isn't quite what he actually says)

The public does not seem to give a single **** about Phillip Hammond, so if he led them into a general election it'd be pretty meeehhh for the tories unless they was able to provide a much stronger plan and campaign than they did in the most recent election.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to UK Politics.

ReputationRep:
    May will likely be around for years yet. Nobody will attack before we leave and afterward May will want a mandate from the people.. A lack of unity in the party over a rival candidate will give her that election which we may still win.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doesn't matter how much goes wrong May survives.

She'll go when it's time. ie before the next election, where that is.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    May will be around at least until 2021, that’s the earliest she will step down or a leadership contest will be held.

No one else wants it before the transition period is over and it gives enough time for a new person to bed in for the 2022 election.

Who replaces her at that point if anyone does is a lottery as it’s so far away.

I actually think she will be in place for the 2022 election

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    May will be around at least until 2021, that’s the earliest she will step down or a leadership contest will be held.

No one else wants it before the transition period is over and it gives enough time for a new person to bed in for the 2022 election.

Who replaces her at that point if anyone does is a lottery as it’s so far away.

I actually think she will be in place for the 2022 election
    In power for nearly 7 years, i dont see her pulling a merkel. I think she is also a snooze lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    In power for nearly 7 years, i dont see her pulling a merkel. I think she is also a snooze lol.
    The reality of the situation is she’s untouchable u TIL that date and it’s then hard to remove her if brexit isn’t a disaster because so many people have been told it will be then she will be seen as competent by one side and the other side grateful for having delivered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    To remove her realistically (i.e. force her to resign) then a consensus candidate has to emerge and i can't see that.

About 30 Tory MP's are soft Brexit/Remain.
    About 80 Tory MP's are hard Brexit.
    The rest are happy with a hard ish Brexit but seem to care more about power, the economy and just want it over with so long as we leave.

The later group won't back a hard Leave/Remain MP anytime soon (which is why Mogg won't wield the knife) and currently a leadership contest looks like it would be a free for all.

Hence as things stand, even if she faces a MoNC she will be told she can sack who she likes, probably gets the backing of the membership and majority of MP's and probably stays as long as she wants bar losing an election.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the UK is stuck then, ideas on you guys preferred brexit deal or no deal?

ReputationRep:
    Nah

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.