Turn on thread page Beta

Car Insurance Quotes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 17 in 2 months time and I've been looking for some quotes online for car insurance. I'm planning on getting a Ford KA Style 1.3l as they seem like fun and the one in particular I'm getting is a ridiculously good deal (£500 MOT until dec) and I live near a main road, and a quote for me was £2,500 fully comp, £2,210 with my mum who has had 25 years and 10 years no claims bonus as a named driver. The car will be parked outside my house at night, but my friend got a quote of £1,200 for the same car fully comp, and he lives just over a mile away.

I know I live on a main road, but over £1000 more for a different address is taking the p**s! Anyone know how to lower the quote, and does location really make that much of a difference?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Chazzbanger)
    Hi, I'm 17 in 2 months time and I've been looking for some quotes online for car insurance. I'm planning on getting a Ford KA Style 1.3l as they seem like fun and the one in particular I'm getting is a ridiculously good deal (£500 MOT until dec) and I live near a main road, and a quote for me was £2,500 fully comp, £2,210 with my mum who has had 25 years and 10 years no claims bonus as a named driver. The car will be parked outside my house at night, but my friend got a quote of £1,200 for the same car fully comp, and he lives just over a mile away.

I know I live on a main road, but over £1000 more for a different address is taking the p**s! Anyone know how to lower the quote, and does location really make that much of a difference?

Thanks
    Just try different insurers, try contacting insurers direct rather than on comparison sites plus you cant take a higher deductible.

Thats why the buying a new car with free insurance is often attractive. Not sure your mum should let you use her name just for the saving of a few hundred.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks
    Look for another car?

This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to move it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Thanks
    Location does make a huge difference, I live very rurally with a low crime rate so my quotes were quite cheap. But there are many, many more factors which come into play when calculating premiums.

Check out this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4825738

Just tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved over to Cars and motoring.

ReputationRep:
    Try doing it through compare the meerkat. I’m 17 and I have a Fiat 500 and my insurance was £1200
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks
    When you say same car, are you talking same generation car, similar value, similar history. Yours could be cat C/D for example and you not realise, his could be newer etc.

As people have said, shop around insurances or get a different car.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper

Thanks
    Edit: yeh I’m a ****ing muppet 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Be careful about putting your mum as named driver if you’re going to be the one primarily using it. It’s called fronting, is illegal, and if/when caught, makes your policy void and will cause havoc trying to get cheap insurance in the future.
    Do you know what a named driver is, mate? This has nothing to do with fronting.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Do you know what a named driver is, mate? This has nothing to do with fronting.
    Hahaha oh my god, way too early. Yeh totally didn’t read that properly
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to move it.
    :king1:

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Just tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved over to Cars and motoring.
    :king2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just try different insurers, try contacting insurers direct rather than on comparison sites plus you cant take a higher deductible.

Thats why the buying a new car with free insurance is often attractive. Not sure your mum should let you use her name just for the saving of a few hundred.
    Well why not, 300 quid is 300 quid, it's not exactly a risk.

And yeah a road can make a massive difference, I know a mile doesn't sound like much but the main road factor + if any cars have been nicked from your road as of late can do strange wonders to your quotes. I'd recommend looking at different quotes or making some phone calls. If this doesn't work, choose a different car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    When you say same car, are you talking same generation car, similar value, similar history. Yours could be cat C/D for example and you not realise, his could be newer etc.

As people have said, shop around insurances or get a different car.
    Yeah, we used the same reg on the same comparison site with the only difference being the address

ReputationRep:
    I was just seeing if adding my mum made a difference. I used Compare The Meerkat and the cheapest was Hastings Direct (0800 00 ...). It's a pain, not like it's an expensive car to insure anyway. Not much crime around here, just happens to be on a busy road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink2000)
    Try doing it through compare the meerkat. I’m 17 and I have a Fiat 500 and my insurance was £1200
    was this with or without a black box? which company are you insured with? x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, we used the same reg on the same comparison site with the only difference being the address
    Could be that because you're on a main road, there's been more accidents involving that type of vehicle on that road, which is definitely likely, and one of the reasons why yours is more than his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheConfusedMedic)
    was this with or without a black box? which company are you insured with? x
    Hey it is with a black box sadly but tbh it isn’t too bad. Also it’s with Hastings direct x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good grief don't get a box.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I was just seeing if adding my mum made a difference. I used Compare The Meerkat and the cheapest was Hastings Direct (0800 00 ...). It's a pain, not like it's an expensive car to insure anyway. Not much crime around here, just happens to be on a busy road.
    You are forgetting the expense is in insuring you and much less the car. You are the risk.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.