Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So at the moment I am trying to decide which uni out of these three should be my fifth option on my UCAS application. I am planning on studying Film Studies at these institutions and was wondering which one was the best out of the three by public opinion. All three have good modules so really I'm just out to see which uni is generally regarded as the best and which campus is the nicest & safest. Thank you to all those who reply. (Would also really appreciate anyone who is actually studying said Film Studies at these universities to reply, thanks )

If it's any help, the other 3 are: King's College, Royal Holloway and Warwick with King's being the one I want to go to the most.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I take Film Studies at Anglia Ruskin University and I'm in my third and final year of the course. Regarding your question I can let you in about my personal experience at ARU it is a great university with a Film Studies degree course which offers a detailed study of film theory with film-making practice. First yearIn semester 1 of my first year at ARU, I learned more about the basics of Film theory, which set the grounds for practical modules I took in Semester 2. The Film Studies degree program gave me two options to choose from. The first option was Introduction to Global Cinema and the second was Introduction to Video 2, a continuation of the module Introduction to Video 1 which I completed in Semester 1.Second yearThe second year at Anglia Ruskin University is busy but mostly exciting. It consists of many optional modules like Screenwriting: Script to Screen, Screenwriting: The Feature Film, Non-Fiction Filmmaking, and Intercultural Encounters in Global Cinema. My two favourite modules from the 2nd year were Non-fiction Filmmaking and 16mm Filmmaking.16mm FilmmakingIn this module our instructor, Neil Henderson, allowed us to work with 16mm film and Bolex cameras to make a short film. We learned to work with both the 16mm film and the Bolex cameras. This taught me discipline and patience to create something unique and meaningful. This process slows down the filming process, which helps the filmmaker think about each detail within the frame, whether it be lighting or the objects in the frame.Non-fiction FilmmakingIn this module, we were assigned to film a portrait of a person based on their life and experiences. My group's portrait documentary followed a girl named Amy who was diagnosed with a rare disorder called mitochondrial disease. The film told stories about the many hardships Amy faced in her life because of the disease. Through this module, I developed the skills to shoot documentaries and learned how to reveal the truth through the lens of a camera.As for your third and final year things are different for each student you start off with planning your dissertation while balancing your semester workload. overall if you keep up with your schedule you should be able to finish your third year successfully Hope this helps in making your final decission.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.