Turn on thread page Beta

Direction of electron flow in electrolysis watch

ReputationRep:
    In the Edexcel international GCSE chemistry text book it says that ‘as soon as you connect the power source, it pumps may mobile electrons away from the left hand electrode and towards the right hand one’. So does this mean that the anode is always on the left and cathode is always on the right.

I just want to know as to what I would do in an exam what would I write, because in a test I got it wrong when I labbeled that the electrons (in electrolysis) flow away from the cathode coz I thought they repel and that was wrong idk... someone help!

What is the direction of electron flow in electrolysis?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by standardproduct)
    In the Edexcel international GCSE chemistry text book it says that ‘as soon as you connect the power source, it pumps may mobile electrons away from the left hand electrode and towards the right hand one’. So does this mean that the anode is always on the left and cathode is always on the right.

I just want to know as to what I would do in an exam what would I write, because in a test I got it wrong when I labbeled that the electrons (in electrolysis) flow away from the cathode coz I thought they repel and that was wrong idk... someone help!

What is the direction of electron flow in electrolysis?
    Electrons always flow through the external circuit from the negative pole of the battery to the positive pole of the battery (regardless of which side they have been drawn)

electrons are "fed" into the electrolyte at the cathode, where reduction reactions take place.

electrons are picked up off the ions at the anode, where oxidation reactions take place.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it says that it flows away from the right which had the anode, positive and to the negative. Are you referring to the electrodes coz other people are saying that it’s always positive to negative electrode..?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by standardproduct)
    Oh, it says that it flows away from the right which had the anode, positive and to the negative. Are you referring to the electrodes coz other people are saying that it’s always positive to negative electrode..?
    Read my post again ...

The electrons leave the negative pole of the battery and are then available at the negative electrode of the electrolytic cell, where reduction takes place (positive ions pick up electrons) - the cathode.

At the other electrode (the anode) oxidation takes place as ions LOSE electrons and deposit them at the anode where they are sucked up to the positive terminal of the battery.

Name:  electrolytic_cell.gif
Views: 42
Size:  6.8 KB

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.