Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like both unis but i can't choose which one to firm. So does anyone have any opinions on both of them, including teaching and social aspects, community and sports?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    I like both unis but i can't choose which one to firm. So does anyone have any opinions on both of them, including teaching and social aspects, community and sports?
    Hi! It's great to hear that you're considering Bath!

I'm a first year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath. I was in your predicament last year - I really liked Bath and Birmingham and found it very difficult to make a decision.
    Obviously it's difficult for me to give you any information about Birmingham but I will try and give you as much information about Bath to help you make an informed decision!

My first advice would be to make sure you attend the applicant days for both departments - this will give you a good insight into both universities and courses.

In terms of the courses, chemical engineering does not vary much between unis because in order to be accredited, they must teach certain things. However, have a look into the modules taught on each course. A large factor that made me choose Bath was the option to study biology related chemical engineering applications, which is an area that interests me and there seemed to be more of this at Bath than Birmingham. It fluctuates each year but I think Birmingham have slightly less students per year than Bath. However, Birmingham is a large university and has a larger variety of courses than Bath.

In my first year, I have 11-15 contact hours a week. This is mostly lectures and we have 6 labs throughout the year. We also have tutorials with our personal tutor, in which we tend to learn "soft" skills.

Both universities are campus universities but again, Birmingham is much larger. Most of Birmingham's accommodation is situated in a student village a short way from campus, whereas the majority of Bath's accommodation is right on campus, with a few buildings in the heart of the city. I personally love this about Bath - it is really convenient in your first year to live on campus, only a 5/10 minute walk from lectures and everything you need. This gives the university a great community feel when walking around campus. Bath also has only of the safest campuses and you can definitely feel that that is the case when you are here. The campus is about a 15 minute bus journey from the city centre and the uni bus runs 24/7 during term time.

The city of Bath itself is a lovely place to live. Although not the biggest and quite a contrast from Birmingham, there is a lot to do here. We have many clubs and pubs in the city, as well as the Student Union club, which has 2 club nights a week. There's plenty to do in terms of nightlife and Bristol is only a very short train journey away if you fancy a change of scene. The city is a World Heritage site and there are lots of cultural activities to do. The high street is a lively place to be and there are lots of shops. It was the size and safeness of Bath that I found really appealing as somewhere to live for the next 5 years!

The University of Bath has recently been named the UK's top sports university in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018. There are lots of sporting options available, whether you are a high calibre professional athlete or just looking to try something new. The sports facilities are extensive and are of high quality. They are available for all students to use - all students get free access to the sports courts and the 50m Olympic legacy swimming pool. There are many student sports groups to get involved with. I was not particularly sporty before I came to uni but I have really embraced the opportunities on offer here!

I hope that was helpful! If you have any questions about the University of Bath or chemical engineering, please do let me know

Leah
    1st Year Chemical Engineering

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.