Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I’ve been looking at information on the modern language course pages (French and Spanish) of various universities and on websites like Which University. Many of these mention the way you would be learning and a few say ‘practicals’ or ‘lab work’. What kind of thing does that involve? Is it like oral classes? Can anyone studying languages at uni help me out?

    Hey :hi: I'm currently studying Modern Languages and Translation at Cardiff University (I'm doing Advanced French and Beginners Spanish)

    I'm not entirely sure why its saying stuff like lab work tbh :confused: but I can tell you what my week is like for each language :thumbsup:

    For my advanced French class, I have 3 hours a week (split into a 1 hour seminar and a 2 hour seminar but some groups have 3 1 hour seminars)
    You have 1 hour on grammar, 1 hour on like French issues where you discuss things, and the other hour focuses on speaking skills

    My beginners Spanish class is 4 hours a week (as its more intensive) (these are split into 4 1 hour seminars)
    There are 2 hours of grammar, 1 hour on vocabulary/translation and 1 hour on conversation

    There r also additional conversation classes run by Erasmus students

    I hope this helps, if u have any more questions pls feel free to ask
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.