Turn on thread page Beta

OK so I'm in my late 20s but the current relationship I have had for the last 6/7 months is the first long term one ive ever had.

During the first couple of months of us being together I was pretty relaxed and everything was great. Now I have fallen in love with this girl I now find myself a bit too absorbed in the relationship and find myself having irrational worries and thoughts about it. I found out some things abut her past that I didn't like. She found out something I was doing and still am that she finds difficult. This has caused some friction for a few months and we'e both been angry and upset. We love each other terribly. Is this how it normall goes in relationships? if you'e found out that your partner did something in the past that disagrees with you but they have learnt from it are you able to think the past is the past and let it go?

ReputationRep:
    We need to know more about these circumstances to give better advice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Bio 7)
    We need to know more about these circumstances to give better advice.
    I don't really want to go in to specifics. She had made a bad choice regarding a guy she had been involved with although not been intimate with before I was on the scene. This guy had had a gf at the time. I had taken and continue to take steroids that she doesn't agree with. I' lied to her previously about taking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't really want to go in to specifics. She had made a bad choice regarding a guy she had been involved with although not been intimate with before I was on the scene. This guy had had a gf at the time. I had taken and continue to take steroids that she doesn't agree with. I' lied to her previously about taking them.
    I swear you've already made a sh*t tonne of posts based around your whole steroids dilemma...

ReputationRep:
    Do yourself a favour and drop the steroids. Why are you going to use drugs when you don't even need them... ?

(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    I swear you've already made a sh*t tonne of posts based around your whole steroids dilemma...
    Haven't got a clue what your on about? Instead of critising you could try and give some advice instead?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly unless it's killing someone or abusing them or doing something really morally wrong, then it's not something for you to worry about. She's made some mistakes and so have you, no one's perfect and if you've both learnt from your past actions then I really don't see the problem. You're never going to find anyone who acts 100% in the way you want them to or who hasn't made questionable decisions in their past. Accepting that the person you love hasn't done anything wrong in their life ever is part of a mature relationship.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    OK so I'm in my late 20s but the current relationship I have had for the last 6/7 months is the first long term one ive ever had.

During the first couple of months of us being together I was pretty relaxed and everything was great. Now I have fallen in love with this girl I now find myself a bit too absorbed in the relationship and find myself having irrational worries and thoughts about it. I found out some things abut her past that I didn't like. She found out something I was doing and still am that she finds difficult. This has caused some friction for a few months and we'e both been angry and upset. We love each other terribly. Is this how it normall goes in relationships? if you'e found out that your partner did something in the past that disagrees with you but they have learnt from it are you able to think the past is the past and let it go?
    Honestly, what she's done in the past doesn't sound like a huge deal, though it's hard to say for sure without really knowing what it is, but it's in the past and you'd do best to try and move on from that. You currently using steroids and lying to her aboutnit is a whole other issue though, and if she can't accept it and you refuse to stop using them then it's probably not going to work out
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    She did something with a guy in the past while you were together?
    You're taking steroids?

Yeah, this relationship is totally gonna last...

ReputationRep:
    The past is the past - what your girlfriend did didn't harm you, so I don't understand why you are so hung up on it. It doesn't need to affect your current relationship. The steroids thing is happening now and it seems to be a source of tension, and is directly affecting your relationship. This needs to be addressed.

ReputationRep:
    I think worries are normal the more you fall in love with someone. The longer you stay together the stronger you get, i believe. However if your not willing to not take the steroids or even cut down then there is always going to be that problem, that problem will never go away, which might in the long run cause more of a wedge between you. As far as it goes for what she's done in past, you said shes learnt from it and that's good. Noone is perfect and if shes learnt from it then i think its worth just trying to forget. Easier said than done i no. Or that will also cause a wedge between you. No relationship is easy, it takes 2 to make a successful and happy one, but if there is one subject that keeps coming back up and causing problems then somethings got to be done about it. I hope you are ok. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    and about the girlfriend who flirted with a taken guy...

OP no it's not normal for these things to be such an issue and it's not normal to be constantly annoyed at each other after 6 months

it's also not normal to take steroids, lie to each other, or judge someone for their past (short of really serious moral problems)

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing a person can do about their past, so unless she's giving off signs that a similar thing could happen again whilst you're together, you have little choice but to forget about it. On the other hand, it's understandable for her to dislike your taking of steroids. If the person you care about it doing something to damage themselves then it's only naturally. And since you have the power to stop that thing (unlike her changing her past), then you should probably consider doing it if you want things to work out.

(Original post by Joel 96)
    She did something with a guy in the past while you were together?
    You're taking steroids?
    she did something with a guy in the past and OP was not with her then but he makes it his problem. she was doing stuff with some guy knowing that that guy had a gf at the time, OP had nothing to do with any of it, yet now he is crying over this long ago love triangle, about two people of whom he probably doesnt even know anything. and god only knows why he takes steroids.

ReputationRep:
    she did something with a guy in the past and OP was not with her then but he makes it his problem. she was doing stuff with some guy knowing that that guy had a gf at the time, OP had nothing to do with any of it, yet now he is crying over this long ago love triangle, about two people of whom he probably doesnt even know anything. and god only knows why he takes steroids.
    right, i see. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has made stupid relationship mistakes before. I think cheating is a warning sign, but she didn’t do that she just had a thing with someone in a relationship (it seems), which isn’t something to worry about now. I can understand why she’s not cool with the steroids. You need to stop that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.