Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear Sirs,

I am contacting you as I would like some clarification with regards to the rules that apply for EEA Migrant worker status, and the maintenance loan eligibility as well. I am a U.K. H.E. Advisor based in Greece, therefore I help prospective students apply for and study in U.K. Universities. I would like to be able to give prospective students better advice regarding their eligibility to claim a maintenance loan as EEA Migrant Workers.

I have read all the literature available on the gov.uk and the slc.co.uk websites, as well as previous forums here, but some things are not quite clear to me yet, especially under the light of Brexit.

So, I do have a few mature students (over 25) considering moving to England several or a few months before their university course actually starts (Sept.2018 intake) as they would like to get accustomed to the lifestyle of the country, and most importantly get used to understanding English spoken by native speakers.

In order to better their chances of communicating with natives and get a thorough understanding of British society, they are considering getting a job, which they wold then like to hold on to, during their studies.

I strongly support their decision, and I think it is a brilliant idea, as I do think it will help them immensely to better and faster assimilate in British society, and it will give them better chances to succeed with their studies, if they give themselves a few months of a head start in the country.

So I was wondering, whether in this case they would be eligible to be considered for EEA migrant worker status. Say for example someone enters the UK 2-3 months before September 2018, they find accommodation and they also get a 24hours/week job.

So in effect, as I understand it, they should fulfil the EEA Migrant Worker requirements, because:
    1. they have lived in EU for 3 years before their course started (since they're Greek)
    2. were UK residents on the 1st of September 2018 (start of the academic year their course starts)
    3. are in employment, working for at least 24hrs/week on the 1st of September 2018.

Would I be right to advise them that in this case they would be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan as an EEA migrant worker as well?

I am concerned about the "ordinary resident" part, as it is unclear when one becomes an ordinary resident. They do say that even a day after entering the country you can be considered ordinary resident if you came with the intention to settle, but still all this is way too vague.

I would also like to know whether a reduced maintenance loan would be given to EEA migrant workers that work and study part time as well.

I am looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards, Georgia
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by BritanniaEdu)
    Dear Sirs,

I am contacting you as I would like some clarification with regards to the rules that apply for EEA Migrant worker status, and the maintenance loan eligibility as well. I am a U.K. H.E. Advisor based in Greece, therefore I help prospective students apply for and study in U.K. Universities. I would like to be able to give prospective students better advice regarding their eligibility to claim a maintenance loan as EEA Migrant Workers.

I have read all the literature available on the gov.uk and the slc.co.uk websites, as well as previous forums here, but some things are not quite clear to me yet, especially under the light of Brexit.

So, I do have a few mature students (over 25) considering moving to England several or a few months before their university course actually starts (Sept.2018 intake) as they would like to get accustomed to the lifestyle of the country, and most importantly get used to understanding English spoken by native speakers.

In order to better their chances of communicating with natives and get a thorough understanding of British society, they are considering getting a job, which they wold then like to hold on to, during their studies.

I strongly support their decision, and I think it is a brilliant idea, as I do think it will help them immensely to better and faster assimilate in British society, and it will give them better chances to succeed with their studies, if they give themselves a few months of a head start in the country.

So I was wondering, whether in this case they would be eligible to be considered for EEA migrant worker status. Say for example someone enters the UK 2-3 months before September 2018, they find accommodation and they also get a 24hours/week job.

So in effect, as I understand it, they should fulfil the EEA Migrant Worker requirements, because:
    1. they have lived in EU for 3 years before their course started (since they're Greek)
    2. were UK residents on the 1st of September 2018 (start of the academic year their course starts)
    3. are in employment, working for at least 24hrs/week on the 1st of September 2018.

Would I be right to advise them that in this case they would be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan as an EEA migrant worker as well?

I am concerned about the "ordinary resident" part, as it is unclear when one becomes an ordinary resident. They do say that even a day after entering the country you can be considered ordinary resident if you came with the intention to settle, but still all this is way too vague.

I would also like to know whether a reduced maintenance loan would be given to EEA migrant workers that work and study part time as well.

I am looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards, Georgia
    Hi Georgia,

The EEA MW team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements for (SFE) but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

• EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)
    • Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course
    • Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies
    • They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair
    • This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal .

If the MW student is an EU/EEA national who is living and working in England or Wales and has satisfied the MW standard eligibility we will request the following evidence dependent on their employment status.

Employed
    • The students original Passport or National ID Card
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)
    • The students last 3 months payslips (if available)
    • The students most recent P60 (if available)
    • Termly evidence

Self Employed
    • The students original Passport or National ID Card
    • Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)
    • The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)
    • The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)
    • The students most recent tax return (if available)
    • Termly evidence

The Migrant Worker student would also have to show that they are in continuous employment while they are studying to maintain there Migrant worker funding. And would be asked to provide evidence of employment for termly payment.

Maintenance Loan is currently only available for full time Courses regardless whether the Student is applying as a Migrant worker or not.

Thanks

Louise

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.