Turn on thread page Beta

I messed up with a guy from my hometown, how can I fix this? watch

I know him a long time, we now both go to college in different places, but I occasionally see him when I go home. He used to like me when I was younger (when we were both still going to highschool in the hometown), but I had to reject him because I was too nervous to be in a relationship (I only got the courage to pursue a relationship at all after I finished HS)

Even after high school I'm still a nervous person about pursuing people. I once messaged him, said hello and freaked out immediately after because I got nervous so I blocked him for a day or two i think. if he tried to reply he would know, but it's possible he didn't, and doesn't know I blocked him but the chances are low. After I sent him like two messages but he didn't reply. I don't blame him, I probably seem like a crazy *****.

I know that this is really REALLY awkward, I really do regret it, I have no idea what to do, I know I appear really stupid and should give up, but I have a huge crush on this guy, I am also aware that while I am quite outgoing, I'm not the best with people skills and if I do talk to him (If i can even get the courage) I'll almost certainly mess up or avoid the subject i need to talk about (my awkward behavior) because it would be really hard for me to admit. I

need some advices, or possibly something I could do, or what I should say when i see him next.

I think as an outgoing person I might be able to talk to him and tell him whatever I need to, as long as i knew something good and diplomatic to say that would diffuse the situation.

Any advice on what I can do or ideas on how I can approach this topic would be extremely appreciated c:

ReputationRep:
    I i think social media is hard to get peoples responses from. Its so easy for people to just ignore or read it and forget to respond. Does he has any other social media accounts for you to follow like snapchat or instagram? Don't be to worried.

ReputationRep:
    Because you rejected him in the past, and then started to send him messages, and then blocked him one time - it seems like mixed signals. Were you close friends before?

I would start off making small talk just to ease yourself into talking to him. If he responds, you can start to talk about more with him and then see where things go on from there. There may be a chance that he might not want to talk, which you need to prepare for. If that is the case, at least you know where you stand with him, and then can move on.

(Original post by EmilyLouiseR)
    I i think social media is hard to get peoples responses from. Its so easy for people to just ignore or read it and forget to respond. Does he has any other social media accounts for you to follow like snapchat or instagram? Don't be to worried.
    Well i don't have his snapchat, and he has an Instagram, but i'm too afraid to follow it because of what i've done (I'm embarrassed), I don't want to annoy him, and I can't even re add him as a friend on facebook because i'm (again) embarrassed , don't want to go where i'm not wanted :c

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Because you rejected him in the past, and then started to send him messages, and then blocked him one time - it seems like mixed signals. Were you close friends before?

I would start off making small talk just to ease yourself into talking to him. If he responds, you can start to talk about more with him and then see where things go on from there. There may be a chance that he might not want to talk, which you need to prepare for. If that is the case, at least you know where you stand with him, and then can move on.
    Somewhat, he was in my swim team and he was pretty good friends with my brother and some of my friends, obviously he didn't want to talk a huge amount after i rejected him but i did try to be polite and talk a bit after the fact a bit (God loves a tryer). I did talk to him a bit on tinder once i was at university but it wasn't a huge amount(he often took loads of time to reply) and i got rid of tinder a week later (I didn't really like it, there are some pervy creepers there, and talking to people i actually like and know freaks me out enough, i didn't need a load of strangers making me uncomfortable) i do regret deleting it a bit since i ruined a chance to talk to him but... Tinder ... such... uncomfort. It stressed me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Somewhat, he was in my swim team and he was pretty good friends with my brother and some of my friends, obviously he didn't want to talk a huge amount after i rejected him but i did try to be polite and talk a bit after the fact a bit (God loves a tryer). I did talk to him a bit on tinder once i was at university but it wasn't a huge amount(he often took loads of time to reply) and i got rid of tinder a week later (I didn't really like it, there are some pervy creepers there, and talking to people i actually like and know freaks me out enough, i didn't need a load of strangers making me uncomfortable) i do regret deleting it a bit since i ruined a chance to talk to him but... Tinder ... such... uncomfort. It stressed me out.
    I guess using Tinder isn't the best way to talk to someone. If you want to talk to him, perhaps face-to-face is best? Failing that, online messaging or WhatsApp?

ReputationRep:
    Guys are very proud. Rejection hurts quite a lot when you are proud. If a girl rejected me and then changed her mind I would definitely do what this guy that you have a crush on has done and totally ignore your existence....but I would change my mind if I found out that you had a legitimate, honest reason for your rejection and I think you have a very legitimate reason for rejecting him. So put things into context for him. Explain to him about your nervousness issues and how they lead you to say no to him...I'm sure he will understand.

(Original post by CookieButter)
    Guys are very proud. Rejection hurts quite a lot when you are proud. If a girl rejected me and then changed her mind I would definitely do what this guy that you have a crush on has done and totally ignore your existence....but I would change my mind if I found out that you had a legitimate, honest reason for your rejection and I think you have a very legitimate reason for rejecting him. So put things into context for him. Explain to him about your nervousness issues and how they lead you to say no to him...I'm sure he will understand.
    Id rather not like... Bring that up at all? I am super embarrassed about it and I can't just walk up to him and say "oh I rejected you because <see above>" because then I feel it's like rubbing it in his face, also id have to admit a huge flaw not a lot of people are aware of, straight off the bat,the rejection happened so long ago as well; he might see it as irrelevant, id have to open with that one... but i do get what you mean I'm a girl and i'd be doing what he's doing right now too :c

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.