Turn on thread page Beta

Help! What grades do I need in order to achieve a 2.1 in my third year of uni watch

ReputationRep:
    So I realise that you drop the lowest grade in both your second and third year but I was just wondering what I would need to get a 2.1 or a first in my third year and how do I calculate this? My marks for my second year are; 70, 58, 64,61,63 ,60
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hey - sorry you haven't had any responses so far. I'm just going to pop this in the Uni life forum for you. Hopefully someone will see this there and be able to help

ReputationRep:
    Different Universities have different rules for classification so nobody can answer your question without more information.

ReputationRep:
    This is not a question many people here can answer unless they attend the same uni as you. Every university has a different way of calculating your degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacleighhill)
    So I realise that you drop the lowest grade in both your second and third year but I was just wondering what I would need to get a 2.1 or a first in my third year and how do I calculate this? My marks for my second year are; 70, 58, 64,61,63 ,60

Average:376 / 6 = 62.666666666667

If like my uni yours is 50/50 2nd and 3rd year then you would need about 77.4...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Double check to ensure that you know the guidelines for your uni (how much each year counts, how many credits are counted and which ones), but I would recommend gradestracker.com. You can input each module and assignment in your years of study, and based on the grade that you want for the year (and for individual modules too!) it can calculate how much you need on assignments/modules to achieve your overall goals. If you've already done assignments/modules/years, it lets you input how much you've already made.

Of course, at the end of the day your grade is down to module exam and classification boards. But this saves you recalculating constantly!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey there!

Whilst different universities have slightly different grade classification methods, I can link you to a handy tool that I’ve used throughout my academic career, here.If you can find out which average corresponds to a 2:1 or a First, and how much weighting each module holds, then you can calculate your current average and how many points you’ll need to get your desired average.

Fred – UEA PG Rep
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)

If like my uni yours is 50/50 2nd and 3rd year then you would need about 77.4...
    Many are 40% 2nd, 60% 3rd year. It really varies by university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Turns out OP is at Leeds Beckett

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5195628

25:75 Y2:Y3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amihalo)
    Different Universities have different rules for classification so nobody can answer your question without more information.
    My second year is 25% and my third year is 75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)

Hi thanks but my uni is slightly different as my second year is 25% and my third year is 75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacleighhill)
    Hi thanks but my uni is slightly different as my second year is 25% and my third year is 75%
    Then your average so far: 62.7 * 0.25 = 15.7% (your grade x weighting = credit earned to date)

So for a 2:1 you would need to average 59.1

For a first, you would need to average 72.4

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.