Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as far as i know i dont think i have much chance but was just curious if im overlooking anything. I have twin girls that me and the mother split down the middle in terms of care. We alternate from 3 days one weekn to 4 the next so it is 100% even. The kids are registered at our old house which i had to move from since the split and now all of the child benefit/universal credit goes in her name and towards her and i get nothing. Im fine with all of this but woundered if i could get any financial help given my circunstances. Im going to uni in september and will have ti have my own place on my own because of the kids so sharing isnt an option. Ive worked for savings up untill i go and have a part time job lined up for when i start but it still leaves me tight. I know if she was in my position she would be eligable for grants and other sources but seeing as theyre all under her name now does this leave me screwed?

I pressume so but would just like any info/help if possible.

Thankyou in advance
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Morgi_92)
    Hi, as far as i know i dont think i have much chance but was just curious if im overlooking anything. I have twin girls that me and the mother split down the middle in terms of care. We alternate from 3 days one weekn to 4 the next so it is 100% even. The kids are registered at our old house which i had to move from since the split and now all of the child benefit/universal credit goes in her name and towards her and i get nothing. Im fine with all of this but woundered if i could get any financial help given my circunstances. Im going to uni in september and will have ti have my own place on my own because of the kids so sharing isnt an option. Ive worked for savings up untill i go and have a part time job lined up for when i start but it still leaves me tight. I know if she was in my position she would be eligable for grants and other sources but seeing as theyre all under her name now does this leave me screwed?

Thankyou in advance
    Hi

Unfortunately the evidence you must send in (child benefit letter or child tax credit letter) must have your name on it and the children’s names. If you can’t provide that as mum is named instead then you wouldn’t be able to claim for that extra support
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Morgi_92)
    Hi, as far as i know i dont think i have much chance but was just curious if im overlooking anything. I have twin girls that me and the mother split down the middle in terms of care. We alternate from 3 days one weekn to 4 the next so it is 100% even. The kids are registered at our old house which i had to move from since the split and now all of the child benefit/universal credit goes in her name and towards her and i get nothing. Im fine with all of this but woundered if i could get any financial help given my circumstances. Im going to uni in september and will have ti have my own place on my own because of the kids so sharing isnt an option. Ive worked for savings up until I go and have a part time job lined up for when i start but it still leaves me tight. I know if she was in my position she would be eligable for grants and other sources but seeing as theyre all under her name now does this leave me screwed?

Thankyou in advance
    Hi Morgi,

If the two parents don't live together then this would be looked at on a case by case basis if they have shared custody.

We would have to review all factors, such as how often do they have care of the child and does the parent of whom the child lives with have an income.

I advise that you should send a copy of any legal documents that you have relating to the joint custody and a cover letter explaining the situation with your customer reference number, to be reviewed by an assessor.

Regards Rona

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.