Turn on thread page Beta

Aky786UK New car Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax included)

Are you a new driver?
    No

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Small but the odd long journey

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    Enough for a baby pram and a small suitcase

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Driving to work, odd motorway journey within South-West Yorkshire

Any brands you would prefer?
    VW, Audi, Suzuki, Toyota

Any brands you dislike?
    Renault, Vauxhall

What features in the car are important to you?
    Nothing specific, the general basic features

What gearbox do you want?
    Manual

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

Special requirements?
    Five door, decent boot size as noted above, diesel ideally but not averse to petrol.

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax included)

Are you a new driver?
    No

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Small but the odd long journey

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    Enough for a baby pram and a small suitcase

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Driving to work, odd motorway journey within South-West Yorkshire

Any brands you would prefer?
    VW, Audi, Suzuki, Toyota

Any brands you dislike?
    Renault, Vauxhall

What features in the car are important to you?
    Nothing specific, the general basic features

What gearbox do you want?
    Manual

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

Special requirements?
    Five door, decent boot size as noted above, diesel ideally but not averse to petrol.

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
    You could probably get the old style Fiesta with that budget (assuming your insurance quote is quite low). It's quite a nice car as well.

(With that budget though, you will probably be looking at a petrol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    You could probably get the old style Fiesta with that budget (assuming your insurance quote is quite low). It's quite a nice car as well.

(With that budget though, you will probably be looking at a petrol)
    We've never gone with a Ford I don't think, but an option if it's reliable. Seen a Sukuzi Wagon, 1.2 for over a grand. Not overly concerned about my rep but to get me on the road it might do its job. Secondly, there's a Suzuki Swift but it's a Cat D despite its seemingly excellent condition.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    We've never gone with a Ford I don't think, but an option if it's reliable. Seen a Sukuzi Wagon, 1.2 for over a grand. Not overly concerned about my rep but to get me on the road it might do its job. Secondly, there's a Suzuki Swift but it's a Cat D despite its seemingly excellent condition.
    Not sure about the Suzuki Wagon, but the Swift is a good option. Category D just means it's had a bump, and it's been repaired. Still, with any car, get an AA inspection check for anything before buying it.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a very similar situation to you last year. The Fiesta is a fine choice, but I'd like to suggest considering a Toyota Yaris mk1. In my opinion it's better than the older Fiesta or Polo models (both of these I considered in my decision making). OK I'm biased, but I think the original Yaris was innovative and still is a cracking little car for it's time. You can easily find a decent one under £1K.

I personally wouldn't go for a category D car, but the Swift is also a good choice. I think you would struggle to find one in great condition that is inside your budget.

The original yaris is still one of the most reliable cars according to the reliability index and it's definitely more reliable than a Ford Fiesta. Not that the Fiesta is considered "unreliable" but you really cannot beat Japanese brands in this area. Whatever car you choose of this age, make sure you do a routine MOT history check and that is has full service history.

Please note however, that the boot space of the Yaris is slightly smaller than the Fiesta which you'd need to consider if it's enough for you. The Yaris does compromises this by having folding 60:40 rear seats and ample interior space for a small hatchback.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had a Hyundai Getz or a Skoda Fabia? Seen a 2005 plate for latter and the newer shaped Fabias would be ideal if I wasn't restricted by budget.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.