The Student Room Group

Question about applying for CPR

Hi guys,

I’m studying my second year in BA combined honours. I previously did a course from 2007 to 2012, it was a three year course and I was all over the place at the time particularly from 2010 when I had mental issues including panic attacks and depression, where it was probably advisable that I took some time off of university but I didn’t and failed to get past my 2nd year for the next two years.

So here I am again, back in uni doing the combined hons. I just received the maintenance loan and managed to survive the first year (I had a part time job). Unfortunately I was dismissed for my job last year but used the savings I had to last me through the year.

I didn’t really want to get any extra money from SFE because even though I had problems I’m not the one to use excuses. Anyway, halfway through my 2nd year and I’ve paid half my tuition fee and I’m struggling to pay the other half.

If I was to apply for CPR so I can get some funding for this year only, how many years do I need to cover CPR for? I’ve spoken to the advisers at SFE over the phone on two occasions, one guy tells me I need CPR that covers fours years, this didn’t seem right to me as I just need funding for THIS year. I called again today and another guy tells me I need to provide CPR that covers just ONE year as I am only applying for one years funding, which seems correct.

So does anyone know which is it? CPR that covers one year or four? Bare in mind I got 3 years funding plus the “bonus” year previously and got funding because of CPR in the past.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 24 Smokes
Hi guys,

I’m studying my second year in BA combined honours. I previously did a course from 2007 to 2012, it was a three year course and I was all over the place at the time particularly from 2010 when I had mental issues including panic attacks and depression, where it was probably advisable that I took some time off of university but I didn’t and failed to get past my 2nd year for the next two years.

So here I am again, back in uni doing the combined hons. I just received the maintenance loan and managed to survive the first year (I had a part time job). Unfortunately I was dismissed for my job last year but used the savings I had to last me through the year.

I didn’t really want to get any extra money from SFE because even though I had problems I’m not the one to use excuses. Anyway, halfway through my 2nd year and I’ve paid half my tuition fee and I’m struggling to pay the other half.

If I was to apply for CPR so I can get some funding for this year only, how many years do I need to cover CPR for? I’ve spoken to the advisers at SFE over the phone on two occasions, one guy tells me I need CPR that covers fours years, this didn’t seem right to me as I just need funding for THIS year. I called again today and another guy tells me I need to provide CPR that covers just ONE year as I am only applying for one years funding, which seems correct.

So does anyone know which is it? CPR that covers one year or four? Bare in mind I got 3 years funding plus the “bonus” year previously and got funding because of CPR in the past.

You apply for CPR as one year units as far as I understand.

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf

Ask SFE here as your situation seems complicated and you appear off your own bat to have started a seon degree without any confirmation of funding. The CPR will relate to one of the previous yesrs that went wrong. You should have medical evidence.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

You can apply for more than one, but as I understand it they still treat it in ine year units.
Reply 2
Thanks for the response, I didn't know I SFE were on here. I intend on applying for only one year.
Hi guys,

Hi 24 Smokes,

If a student has to repeat a year of study, or had to suspend/withdraw from their course, we would use their previous study to calculate their future entitlement to funding.

The student may want us to consider their extenuating circumstances when making this calculation, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

If a student has been granted CPR for previous years spent studying a course then they should be discounted from previous study.

The way we calculate your support is look at the length of your course, plus we add one year, as we allow you one additional year of support and from that total deduct the number of years of previous study that you have had.

You only have nine months from the start of your academic year to apply for support.

If you apply on line with your existing login details and send a cover letter and name/customer reference number along with supporting evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and

When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and as you said your reason was health related, this evidence can include;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

You can be confident that this will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis.

If accepted the assessor can award an additional year of support.

Regards Rona
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and as you said your reason was health related, this evidence can include;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Ok, so I've sent evidence from my GP and from my previous University and now SFE are saying that both letters aren't detailed enough. To be honest, I just think you guys don't want to give me additional support and are just making things up.

The letter from my GP clearly states that I was having mental issues at the time, it doesn't relate anything to university because this was 8 years ago now.

My University evidence letter wasn't particularly detailed, but again it does say that I couldn't complete the course for "mitigating circumstances". Again, nothing was on record as this was 8 years ago.

I've hassled both my GP and Uni enough (my GP won't write anything else for me).

I wasn't going to go back to Uni, so I never kept any records of anything at the time, why are you guys being such a pain?

Ok, so I've sent evidence from my GP and from my previous University and now SFE are saying that both letters aren't detailed enough. To be honest, I just think you guys don't want to give me additional support and are just making things up.

The letter from my GP clearly states that I was having mental issues at the time, it doesn't relate anything to university because this was 8 years ago now.

My University evidence letter wasn't particularly detailed, but again it does say that I couldn't complete the course for "mitigating circumstances". Again, nothing was on record as this was 8 years ago.

I've hassled both my GP and Uni enough (my GP won't write anything else for me).

I wasn't going to go back to Uni, so I never kept any records of anything at the time, why are you guys being such a pain?

Hi 24 Smokes,

I do appreciate your frustration, but in order to grant Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR), the evidence does have to be specific, it needs to relate to the academic year concerned, detail what happened and how it affected your studies or resulted in you having to withdraw from the course.

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and

When this took place

If you can provide a more detailed letter, you can be confident that it will be reviewed again by the assessors and if accepted, can grant CPR and award an additional year of Tuition Fee support.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending