Turn on thread page Beta

What revision should I do this month? February half term edition! watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome to February’s ‘what revision do I need to do’ thread, this time focusing on half term!

You've made it! Half way through the year (or more than if you finish after exams) Exams are now approaching and you need to get started with proper revision so that you are fully prepared for your exams in the summer. So what revision should you be doing in February half term? (written by Lemur14)
    • Take a look belowat the what you need to do to prepare for the long revision season ahead section.
    • Split topics into ones you find harder and ones you find easier. In each session it's best to revise topics of a variety of topics so you don't bog yourself down with all the hard topics, or avoid them entirely
    • First learn the content. There's no point doing past papers/specimen papers if you don't understand the content. So unless you've got the content all sorted, then start by learning the stuff you need to know. Specifications are great resources for finding out what you need to know-check your exam board's website for these.
    • Remember to take some time off.There's a very long revision season ahead, and you won't be able to work effectively in the school term if you're burnt out from revising too much in half term. So use the opportunity to see some friends, get some fresh air and generally have some time away from work
    • Don't panic! There's still plenty of time left to turn a subject (or many) around before the exams, so instead of any panicking, put that energy into determination to do well!

As in previous guides, below is a summary of how you can revise for a few different subjects. This month it’s geography and the foreign languages, written by the brilliant Amefish and brainzistheword.

Geography
    One of the most important aspects of Geography, especially when revising it, is case studies.
    Case studies require place specific detail to get you the high marks. A great way to remember small details like dates, statistics and names, is to create flash-cards! People have different ways of making flash-cards, but one of the best ways is to put a question on one side and an answer on the other. Cool websites you can use for this include Memrise, Studyblue and of course the classic Quizlet!

To get you thinking about the economic, social and environmental impacts of case studies, you could create venn diagrams and sort the impacts into the different circles. Personally, I love doing things like this - if you're like me, you might appreciate this collection of graphic study organisers. Hopefully, your revision will really start to takeyouplaces!

Foreign Languages
    One of the key parts of a language is the vocabulary. If you can build up a good bank of vocabulary it’ll make your writing tasks much easier. There are plenty of ways to build up this bank. You could use appssuch as Memrise and Duolingo or use any flashcard app and make your own if you'd prefer. Alternatively, you could use good old-fashioned Post-It Notes and stick them up all over the place - around your bedroom, the kitchen, bathroom - everywhere!

When it comes to conquering word order or getting your head around large chunks of text, whether this is for parts of the exam or just for exercises in class - whiteboardscan be your friend. You could use this for repetition, or writing out passages and erasing one word at a time until you can recite the whole piece with only a few prompts. For the listening aspect, use the resources available from exam boards.

Understandably there are differences in the new exams, but any form of the language being spokencan help you get to grips with the speed and fluency. Something my teacher suggested was to watch a DVD (that you knew well in English) in the language you’re studying - might be worth a try!

The last part of this post is how to prepare for the long revision season ahead. You don’t want to go in too hard too soon, you’ll just burn out- there is a balance to be had and half term is a great time to catch up on sleep as well. So, here are some tips we’ve put together for you:
    • Get organised.Tidy your workspace and make sure you know where all your notes, books and revision materials are. Get them all in one place and think about anything else you’re likely to need. These might seem like a waste of time now but you’ll thank yourself later!
    • Write a list of what’s in each exam.If you want to you can make it look pretty and stick it on your wall, or just do it quickly at the back of your diary. Then you can tick things off as you go through- when you’ve covered a topic in class, when you’ve revised it, when you think you know it, when you’ve done the exam. You can split this into smaller to do lists or set yourself targets if you want to, but that’s up to you. Either way it should help knowing where you’re at and make sure there’s no nasty surprises in a few months.
    • Work out a routine. The next few months you’ll be juggling school or college, homework, revision, sleep, social stuff and whatever else you have going on. This isn’t impossible by any stretch but well worth thinking about! You could aim to get your homework done in the week so you have the weekends to do what you like, or do everything on a Saturday to have Sundays free. Whatever works for you.
    • Think about how to relax.Try and get some in each day, be it spending some time gaming, having a bath, playing with your pets, or generally enjoying yourself. This is as important as anything! If you can then getting some exercise is good too, and making sure you eat, drink and sleep well for obvious reasons. Which brings us to our last point…
    • Don’t panic! You have plenty of time, several months yet. This is just for people that feel like they should be starting revision or wondering what to do first. Slow and steady wins the race after all! We’ll continue making these threads right until June, and you can ask us questions or make your own ones too.

For further advice you can look back on surviving mock exams and study tips for English and science and maths, history and RS that have been covered in previous months. There's also an advice thread on what to do if it feels like things are getting too much. Finally, there's a new article summing up what you should and shouldn't do in half term in 5 simple points. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have mocks after half term and I feel like I’ve left too much too late send help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    I have mocks after half term and I feel like I’ve left too much too late send help
    :hugs: You study soo hard already, and you have this week as well, I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    :hugs: You study soo hard already, and you have this week as well, I'm sure you'll be fine
    I hope soooooo :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you think I should write all my revision notes during this week (halfterm)
    how effective are revision notes?
    I find that I revise best by memorising content from the book and then writing notes on it but im not going to remember this in June?
    I just can't figure out whether writing notes is a waste of time or not. At the moment, im reading the book and then shortening info in my notes and rewording it. DO you think thsi is effective?
    Also I have mock exams at the end of february and Idk whether I should revise for long term exams in June or short term and cram in the next few weeks.
    Im just so confused and IDK how to revise best!! Please help
    also im doing politics, english lit and sociology

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSRs

I got 7 in my recent mocks but it looks like teacher given me marks on the higher side, I am targeting 8 in both Chemistry and Biology (Esexcel Board)

I have got the Revison Guides/ Workwooks from CGP and Pearson,

My parents have also ordered CGP parctice papers but they are of AQA board and are also planning to order the practice papers from LETTS and Collins (AQA board from Amazon)

Please can someone suggest me what should be the best revision plan for Chemistry and Biology. ( I know that revision plan that has worked for someone will not work for me but I surely I will got ideas about formualting a successful revison plan as I got only three months left and pressure/ stress is building up with each passing day)

I have tried downloding the material from the Pearson/Edexcel site but the latest material is locked and i am unable to download,

Will it be OK to do the AQA practice papers from LETTS , COLLINS and GGP?

What about savemyexams.co.uk, Is the membership worth for revison purposes?

Thanks in advance.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    Hi, do you think I should write all my revision notes during this week (halfterm)
    I find that I revise best by memorising content from the book and then writing notes on it but im not going to remember this in June?
    I just can't figure out whether writing notes is a waste of time or not. At the moment, im reading the book and then shortening info in my notes and rewording it. DO you think thsi is effective?
    Also I have mock exams at the end of february and Idk whether I should revise for long term exams in June or short term and cram in the next few weeks.
    I think it really does depend what works best for you. Personally I find writing the notes originally is what gets it into my mind best, so I often left writing notes til the relatively last minute, but actually what you can find is writing the notes earlier then doing loads of exam practice will be more effective for getting the highest grades.
    Revision notes may be effective or may be completely ineffective. It depends if you're only putting the vital information in them or if you're basically copying up your exercise book (the latter is likely to be ineffective)
    Really, you should revising for the June exams now, but consider the fact you do have mocks coming up and perhaps revise your weakest topics first so that you can gain the most marks possible before you mocks.
    Sounds like you have a good idea of how you revise best to me! Good luck with your mocks!

(Original post by helpintransfer)
    Dear TSRs

I got 7 in my recent mocks but it looks like teacher given me marks on the higher side, I am targeting 8 in both Chemistry and Biology (Esexcel Board)

I have got the Revison Guides/ Workwooks from CGP and Pearson,

My parents have also ordered CGP parctice papers but they are of AQA board and are also planning to order the practice papers from LETTS and Collins (AQA board from Amazon)

Please can someone suggest me what should be the best revision plan for Chemistry and Biology. ( I know that revision plan that has worked for someone will not work for me but I surely I will got ideas about formualting a successful revison plan as I got only three months left and pressure/ stress is building up with each passing day)

I have tried downloding the material from the Pearson/Edexcel site but the latest material is locked and i am unable to download,

Will it be OK to do the AQA practice papers from LETTS , COLLINS and GGP?

What about savemyexams.co.uk, Is the membership worth for revison purposes?

Thanks in advance.
    Revision wise for chemistry and biology, my advice would be pretty similar to in the guide. First you need to learn the content (from revision guide/youtube etc.) Flashcards are often a good way of condensing the information so you can look something up quickly if you need to. Then practice papers. Since you're on the new specification and don't have as many papers as the old spec would have had, I'd say that AQA papers are reasonable to practice in the first instance as long as you appreciate that there will be some areas which are not tested on them, and some which are which Edexcel don't test on. Then as it gets closer to the exams utilise the few papers you do have to smash the exam technique and then the exam itself
    Unfortunately I can't comment on savemyexams.co.uk since I've never used it, but I'd suggest starting off with the papers you've already ordered and then seeing if you still need more stuff once you've completed what you do have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Everyone makes the mistake of thinking there's an endless amount of time in a half term. There isn't. Don't expect the world of yourself to achieve a months work in the space of a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    Hey, maybe one little idea to do is make posters/mind maps about the subjects. They're a little quicker than writing notes for me to do if you're worried about time consuming things.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Proportionality)
    Hello, sorry for the essay I'm really stressed out and losing hope, any help is appreciated. TLDR: fast, efficient revision methods to revise most of content in 21/2 months
    Background: My GCSE Exams start on 2nd May I believe and I completed my mocks in December. I got mostly 8s a couple 9s and a 7 in Spanish ): I revised pretty hard for them but didn't start nearly early enough and ended up cramming some subjects in a couple days (basically forgotten everything by now) although I did fine I feel extremely stressed out and unprepared. Everyone seems so confident in the way they want to revise but I'm just lost. Been revising but we get so much HW that it's been much too slow trying just work on my worst topics first.

Problem: Can't decide revision method. 2 1/2 months left what is the best use of my somewhat limited time? I have a CGP/official textbook for almost every subject and have downloaded the spec for every subject, planning to print them out. I want to get all 8s and 9s if possible I'm willing to work as hard as necessary.

Methods I've tried: Condensing/rewording CGP books (good but time-consuming); mind maps from memory then filling in blanks w/ CGP books; read CGP section -> practice Q's (maths/sciences); Quizlet flashcards (Spanish, History).

Problem is I'm a scatterbrain (somehow I can well in exams idek) so I never feel like I've properly revised anything and I'm always worried that I've forgotten it and I'm worried I won't be done in time, I'm going to every revision class in school that I can as well to catch up.
    Okay, breathe! Your mock marks are excellent and you have plenty of time yet. Take it subject by subject and think about what might be best. Maths for example you can write all the notes you like but if you haven't done questions you're unlikely to do as well as you could. Other subjects vary- English you really need to be learning your quotes, so make flashcards or stick post-it notes round your walls and try and some time each day. Mind maps are also good to put themes and things on.

Haveve a look at the revision tips for different subjects in this and the linked threads and go from there. You have plenty of time, keep doing what you can and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Okay, breathe! Your mock marks are excellent and you have plenty of time yet. Take it subject by subject and think about what might be best. Maths for example you can write all the notes you like but if you haven't done questions you're unlikely to do as well as you could. Other subjects vary- English you really need to be learning your quotes, so make flashcards or stick post-it notes round your walls and try and some time each day. Mind maps are also good to put themes and things on.

Haveve a look at the revision tips for different subjects in this and the linked threads and go from there. You have plenty of time, keep doing what you can and you'll be fine
    Thank you I really do need to just calm down. I've started writing down methods I can use for each topic so I'm not just mulling it around in my head and panicking.

ReputationRep:
    I’m super stressed because I’ve been preparing for my formal this half term and haven’t done any revision! I have 2 days left but I need to catch up on homework, so I won’t have any time for revision and I’m regretting not doing more 😬
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by emc5651)
    I’m super stressed because I’ve been preparing for my formal this half term and haven’t done any revision! I have 2 days left but I need to catch up on homework, so I won’t have any time for revision and I’m regretting not doing more 😬
    I assume this is just for mocks? In which case get your homework done and don't worry about revision, the mocks can be used for testing what you already know then you'll know what you really need to revise for the real exams
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Proportionality)
    Thank you I really do need to just calm down. I've started writing down methods I can use for each topic so I'm not just mulling it around in my head and panicking.
    That sounds good it's a lot easier said than done I know but you'll be okay. You're in a great position so far, just need to do enough to keep it all in your head and do as well as you can in those final exams. Good luck!

It's okay! Those are the priorities right now. You needed a break too and to do something nice! Try and get yourself into a routine once you're back at school with homework and revision and stuff, starting is the hardest part but you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    I assume this is just for mocks? In which case get your homework done and don't worry about revision, the mocks can be used for testing what you already know then you'll know what you really need to revise for the real exams
    I’ve done my mocks, I’m talking about revising for my real GCSEs 😬😬
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I’ve done my mocks, I’m talking about revising for my real GCSEs 😬😬
    In which case you have plenty of time so don't worry about it Try to start doing a bit each day from now and you'll be fine

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.