The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

Sigh. This waiting is killing me! I'm guessing no updates from the trust yet?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by jammyjam123
Does anyone know what the colleges actually look for in your application for them to accept you in?

From what I understand it is a large variety of things depending on the college. Some colleges get a large amount of applications from a particular department so they may be trying to accept applications from departments that are less represented. Some things are academic, some things are extracurricular (as in, do you do service, play sports, etc.). At this point, most colleges are full so you may still be waiting based on just getting bumped from full places!
Admission confirmed 😍
I received an offer for the MASt program in pure mathematics, but got rejected from my top choice of Trinity college. Hopefully I’ll get into Churchill college though, that was my second choice, and supposedly it’s where a lot of students in this program tend to go.
Reply 324
Forgive me if someone has already asked this question,

I know that some colleges fill up quite quickly but is there a way to find out if certain colleges are full already?

Also, if I get rejected by the two colleges I applied to, how does this 'computerised allocation process' actually decide other three colleges?

And finally, am I right in thinking that if one of those three colleges accept me, I will automatically get allocated to that college?

Many thanks
Original post by Bongus
Forgive me if someone has already asked this question,

I know that some colleges fill up quite quickly but is there a way to find out if certain colleges are full already?

Also, if I get rejected by the two colleges I applied to, how does this 'computerised allocation process' actually decide other three colleges?

And finally, am I right in thinking that if one of those three colleges accept me, I will automatically get allocated to that college?

Many thanks

Hey there!
You can likely reach out to the individual colleges graduate coordinators to find out if the colleges are full but, to be honest, the impression I've gotten is that the colleges don't particularly like students contacting them directly about why they've been rejected, etc. Although if this is before you submit your app I could see how you might not want to put a college first that is already full.

From what I've gleaned the computerized system likely pools you (perhaps randomly or I could also see it being by some kind of characteristics of your application) to the remaining open colleges.

Lastly, yes if a college accepts you you are automatically allocated to that college. I learned this the hard way when I submitted two separate applications and was only considered by the college that had originally accepted me. I think it's a rule of the college system that you can only be accepted to one college per application cycle (unless you receive funding or need accommodations based on a special need) and once you are accepted you are allocated to that college automatically.

Hope this is helpful!
Reply 326
Original post by Gradgrrrrl
Hey there!
You can likely reach out to the individual colleges graduate coordinators to find out if the colleges are full but, to be honest, the impression I've gotten is that the colleges don't particularly like students contacting them directly about why they've been rejected, etc. Although if this is before you submit your app I could see how you might not want to put a college first that is already full.

From what I've gleaned the computerized system likely pools you (perhaps randomly or I could also see it being by some kind of characteristics of your application) to the remaining open colleges.

Lastly, yes if a college accepts you you are automatically allocated to that college. I learned this the hard way when I submitted two separate applications and was only considered by the college that had originally accepted me. I think it's a rule of the college system that you can only be accepted to one college per application cycle (unless you receive funding or need accommodations based on a special need) and once you are accepted you are allocated to that college automatically.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks a lot! That just answered all my questions very clearly.
Rejected from Caius, my second choice. Took them 2 weeks. Let's see where I end up!
Hey everyone, I was told my offer would come through soon! Currently, my status is still at GAO so worried about how long it will take for college allocation.

Has anyone been rejected by Corpus or Magdalen? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth calling and getting a scope of what they look for in applicants. I'd be pretty happy anywhere but would like a mix of grad/undergrad and not all womens:/
Original post by aleximoto
I put down Gonville & Caius. We'll see what happens! I think I made a bit of a mistake applying to popular colleges - I sent my application in a bit late, so am wondering whether St John's was already full (the website says they're usually full by the end of March). Ah well!

Ah... that's a shame! Which colleges did you choose?

hey what college did you get into in the end? I got rejected from emmanuel so i got pooled to clare hall. I dont really want to go to a graduate only college but since Im doing a mphil, I can always reapply to another college for my phd. Im actually not too down since clare halls got a nice indoor heated pool haha
Original post by hungdari
hey what college did you get into in the end? I got rejected from emmanuel so i got pooled to clare hall. I dont really want to go to a graduate only college but since Im doing a mphil, I can always reapply to another college for my phd. Im actually not too down since clare halls got a nice indoor heated pool haha

No idea! I just got rejected by Caius. So it didn't take long for you get your offer from the pool! I'm still waiting. Clare Hall looks decent but I get what you mean about the graduate college aspect. Nice one with the pool! Tbh I'd rather have a traditional college - I mean if you're going to go to Cambridge then may as well go all out, haha! But I'm happy with an offer in any case, in the end it's the course that matters.
No idea! I just got rejected by Caius. So it didn't take long for you get your offer from the pool! I'm still waiting. Clare Hall looks decent but I get what you mean about the graduate college aspect. Nice one with the pool! Tbh I'd rather have a traditional college - I mean if you're going to go to Cambridge then may as well go all out, haha! But I'm happy with an offer in any case, in the end it's the course that matters.

Yeah I really wanted a traditional college but I applied really late (mid march and offer late march/april) and made the mistake of applying to only popular colleges. I also had 2 separate applications and both got pooled to the same college...so I think what Gradgrrrrl said earlier is probably correct? Unless clare hall is just really empty. I also got rejected by my 2nd choice and accepted to clare hall within the same day. Yep im definitely going to go swimming haha. If you get allocated to clare hall, i guess ill see you there! I think you probably said it already but did you apply for the mphil or phd? I applied for the mphil so I can still change my college when I apply for phd :smile:

Original post by Gradgrrrrl
I think it's a rule of the college system that you can only be accepted to one college per application cycle (unless you receive funding or need accommodations based on a special need) and once you are accepted you are allocated to that college automatically.
Original post by hungdari
Yeah I really wanted a traditional college but I applied really late (mid march and offer late march/april) and made the mistake of applying to only popular colleges. I also had 2 separate applications and both got pooled to the same college...so I think what Gradgrrrrl said earlier is probably correct? Unless clare hall is just really empty. I also got rejected by my 2nd choice and accepted to clare hall within the same day. Yep im definitely going to go swimming haha. If you get allocated to clare hall, i guess ill see you there! I think you probably said it already but did you apply for the mphil or phd? I applied for the mphil so I can still change my college when I apply for phd :smile:

Yeah, same mistake made here I guess! Though I think Emma is also in that Trinity/St John's bracket in terms of popularity. I applied for the mphil, so if I continue to the PhD I will probably try and apply to a traditional college that isn't crazy popular (or at least put it down as my second choice!). I'll let you know which college I get! Excited to find out.
Yeah, same mistake made here I guess! Though I think Emma is also in that Trinity/St John's bracket in terms of popularity. I applied for the mphil, so if I continue to the PhD I will probably try and apply to a traditional college that isn't crazy popular (or at least put it down as my second choice!). I'll let you know which college I get! Excited to find out.

You can't change colleges unless it's a funding or accessibility related reason. So whatever college you do your mphil in, you'd be expected to do your Phd in too
Original post by fofomorse
You can't change colleges unless it's a funding or accessibility related reason. So whatever college you do your mphil in, you'd be expected to do your Phd in too

Really, are you sure? I know you can do it at Oxford, as the DPhil application is treated separately. I know people that have switched anyway. It'd be annoying if Cambridge doesn't do the same thing. Ah well...
Really, are you sure? I know you can do it at Oxford, as the DPhil application is treated separately. I know people that have switched anyway. It'd be annoying if Cambridge doesn't do the same thing. Ah well...

I'll look it up again, but remember reading it somewhere and seeing it mentioned here too.
My college status has been stuck on "Unsuccessful at ___ , seeking college membership" for weeks now. Has anyone else experienced that and know how long it should take to finally have a college confirmed?
Found out I got accepted at Downing this week! I'm so happy as its in a great location and close to my department (Chemistry) :biggrin:
Original post by chembabeforever
Found out I got accepted at Downing this week! I'm so happy as its in a great location and close to my department (Chemistry) :biggrin:

Congratulations! Was this your choice or were you pooled there?

you can change, I'm at Cambridge for my Masters and have been accepted into a different college for my PhD. I didn't apply to my current college for my PhD and that was fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending