Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the 1-9 GCSE grade boundaries for any subject? Post it below and this thread can help everyone. At the moment I’m going along the basis that a 6 is 60%, a 7 is 70%, an 8 80% etc. How accurate is that? I’d rather overestimate than underestimate. Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think that it will be only a slight increase from last year in terms of English and Maths, however for the rest of the subjects (except subjects like Business), the grade boundaries will be quite low, as they are new exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    I think that it will be only a slight increase from last year in terms of English and Maths, however for the rest of the subjects (except subjects like Business), the grade boundaries will be quite low, as they are new exams.
    Have you got the exact grade boundaries for all those subjects? Or a link to them? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    Have you got the exact grade boundaries for all those subjects? Or a link to them? Thanks.
    I'm sorry - I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    The grade boundaries won't be set until after all the exams have been taken and they have done the weighting and UMS

ReputationRep:
    my old secondary school had some rough equivalents!
    9 = top % of A* (still don't know exactly)
    8 = A*
    7 = A - A*
    6 = B - A
    5 = C - B
    4 = C
    3 = D
    2 = E
    1 = F
    Not 100% sure about 1 2 and 3, but should be close enough.
    Of course, these were estimates but they were pretty spot-on. I think some of your numbers are underestimates though, as I found that a C/4 is generally 55-60%, B is usually 70%, A was usually around 80%, and A* was normally at least 85%. In higher-scoring subjects such as Geography, they tended to be higher, in lower-scoring subjects such as Physics they were lower (< 70% for an A*). Sorry I can't be more precise as this was the old system, but hopefully it will give you a rough idea. It's also worth bearing in mind that they may end up being overestimates because the new exams are designed to be harder, and it's impossible to know at all for most subjects bc the exams are new. Good luck with your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennyboy26)
    my old secondary school had some rough equivalents!
    9 = top % of A* (still don't know exactly)
    8 = A*
    7 = A - A*
    6 = B - A
    5 = C - B
    4 = C
    3 = D
    2 = E
    1 = F
    Not 100% sure about 1 2 and 3, but should be close enough.
    Of course, these were estimates but they were pretty spot-on. I think some of your numbers are underestimates though, as I found that a C/4 is generally 55-60%, B is usually 70%, A was usually around 80%, and A* was normally at least 85%. In higher-scoring subjects such as Geography, they tended to be higher, in lower-scoring subjects such as Physics they were lower (< 70% for an A*). Sorry I can't be more precise as this was the old system, but hopefully it will give you a rough idea. It's also worth bearing in mind that they may end up being overestimates because the new exams are designed to be harder, and it's impossible to know at all for most subjects bc the exams are new. Good luck with your GCSEs!
    Thanks so much, that was really helpful.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.