Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there was anyone with a similar situation to me, or that could offer some advice. I went to college after High School as I missed the grade I needed. I then completed an HNC (Computing).

Afterwards, I signed up to an apprenticeship scheme, which I have just passed the one year mark on. Although, I finished the SCQF level 6 coursework months ago. I should start the SCQF Level 8 coursework this week and should be done by July or so.

I know I have missed the 18/19 session, but I am very interested in applying for 19/20. I will be 22 at this time, which means I will be a 'Mature Student' as defined by UCAS (Although I think that is a little low)

Has anyone else followed a similar path?

I am a little worried about the potential change from full-time employment, into a part-time job and bursary.
    I would also most likely move into student halls as they are cheaper overall than my rented flat + bills + train fare.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DeerreeD)
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there was anyone with a similar situation to me, or that could offer some advice. I went to college after High School as I missed the grade I needed. I then completed an HNC (Computing).

Afterwards, I signed up to an apprenticeship scheme, which I have just passed the one year mark on. Although, I finished the SCQF level 6 coursework months ago. I should start the SCQF Level 8 coursework this week and should be done by July or so.

I know I have missed the 18/19 session, but I am very interested in applying for 19/20. I will be 22 at this time, which means I will be a 'Mature Student' as defined by UCAS (Although I think that is a little low)

Has anyone else followed a similar path?

I am a little worried about the potential change from full-time employment, into a part-time job and bursary.
    I would also most likely move into student halls as they are cheaper overall than my rented flat + bills + train fare.
    Find a uni and course. HNC are classes as higher education so likely to have used SFE funding. You may wish to top up or start a new degree. Dont worry about the age.

You could still apply for Sept 18 start plus theres clearing.

My advice is just work hard and save money, then control your expenditure. You are going to have to live like a studentand. Not hard, especially if you have some modest savings. Plenty f actually mature students will be following the path. Your age difference will hardly be noticed.

ReputationRep:
    My concern is more so how I can readjust back into full time education. I would have to give up my flat, furniture etc. Although I would much prefer student halls/accommodation due to the city centre location.

If the Universities get back to me and let me know that I can apply for 2nd year, then I will most likely save money for the next year, and possibly take a part time job at the weekends to help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've recently turned 22 last week and I've applied to University in late January after the "deadline".

I'm currently nearing the end of my Business & Administration Level 3 apprenticeship ( I f***ing hate it lol ) and I've applied to do something completely different (Education Studies).

I'm also in a tricky situation regarding giving up full time employment as I have rent to pay, so I'm planning to move out too. The only difference being that I don't own a damn thing (furniture, ect) so it doesn't bother me. I just need to sort that out once I've decided on a University.

I have basic GCSE's, 4 C's and 1 B and a pitifully low amount of ucas points (24) because I p*ssed about in college.

I now have 2 Unconditional offers and 2 conditional offers and I'm currently waiting for my final offer.

Go for it. If you're ready, you could even apply now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronxFrancis)
    Hi,

I've recently turned 22 last week and I've applied to University in late January after the "deadline".

I'm currently nearing the end of my Business & Administration Level 3 apprenticeship ( I f***ing hate it lol ) and I've applied to do something completely different (Education Studies).

I'm also in a tricky situation regarding giving up full time employment as I have rent to pay, so I'm planning to move out too. The only difference being that I don't own a damn thing (furniture, ect) so it doesn't bother me. I just need to sort that out once I've decided on a University.

I have basic GCSE's, 4 C's and 1 B and a pitifully low amount of ucas points (24) because I p*ssed about in college.

I now have 2 Unconditional offers and 2 conditional offers and I'm currently waiting for my final offer.

Go for it. If you're ready, you could even apply now.
    Thanks for the reply, we seem to be in a similar position which makes me glad to hear of your offers. Good luck with them!

ReputationRep:
    I will be 29 when I start my electrical engineering degree in September. Dropped out of school originally without even sitting exams, and then spent a decade just jumping between different menial, minimum-wage jobs. When I was 26 I started again from the bottom at my local college, doing Nat 5s and then Highers (Scotland). Currently working my way through an Engineering HNC. I attended a lot of Uni open days over the past couple of years, and applied through UCAS in December. I currently have two conditional offers and two unconditional offers (including two Russell Group unis). I'm waiting on one more decision.

Like you, I also have a fully furnished flat (2-bedroom) that I will be giving up. Tried to figure out a way of keeping my stuff, but it's not possible. The fact is my life is going nowhere, so given the choice between the furniture and the course, I have to pick the course because it may lead to a better future. I'll be working minimum wage retail for my whole life otherwise. I don't even have any friends in the town I live in, and my family lives hundreds of miles away.

I went round my flat last week and took stock of everything I'm gonna lose. I'll be taking all my clothes, towels, books, bluray collection and my electronics like laptop, headphones etc. Gonna bring my TV and just store it under a bed or something for a year, cos its a decent TV. Got a couple of wall paintings I want to keep hold of, so I'll bring those along.

But I'm gonna lose my cooker, washing machine, fridge-freezer, microwave, small kitchen appliances, kitchen table, beds, mattresses, sofas, coffee & bedside tables, chairs, rugs, shelves, drawers, lamps, curtains, and all the usual assorted decorations, ornaments and things you accumulate over the years.

I actually don't even know what to do with the stuff because I need to use it right up until I go to university. =(

I plan to stay in private student accommodation... Being in halls with a bunch of 18-year olds doesn't sound like a great time for someone in their late twenties.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.