Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I hope you’re doing well.
    I’m currently doing internship(FY1) in my home country.
    I want to be an Internist.And I want to train in the U.K.
    I have gone through various websites,forums&found out that there are couple of things that I need to do before I can begin working/training in the NHS.I have also noted that aside from appearing in IELTS,PLAB,getting GMC registration,I also need foundation year 2 competency before I can begin CMT.
    How is the recent job scenario for overseas junior doctors like me?Will it change for better/for worse in the coming years?
    I would be truly grateful if you could share your perspectives on this matter.
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PNH_92)
    Hi,
    I hope you’re doing well.
    I’m currently doing internship(FY1) in my home country.
    I want to be an Internist.And I want to train in the U.K.
    I have gone through various websites,forums&found out that there are couple of things that I need to do before I can begin working/training in the NHS.I have also noted that aside from appearing in IELTS,PLAB,getting GMC registration,I also need foundation year 2 competency before I can begin CMT.
    How is the recent job scenario for overseas junior doctors like me?Will it change for better/for worse in the coming years?
    I would be truly grateful if you could share your perspectives on this matter.
    Thanks!
    CMT [Core Medical Training] is (currently scheduled) to change from 2 years to 3 years, for applicants applying in Round 1 August 2019 entry. The specialty training posts starting August 2022 is set to reduce by 20% (to compensate for the programme reducing from 5 years to 4 years). That is the schedule at the moment, subject to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    CMT [Core Medical Training] is (currently scheduled) to change from 2 years to 3 years, for applicants applying in Round 1 August 2019 entry. The specialty training posts starting August 2022 is set to reduce by 20% (to compensate for the programme reducing from 5 years to 4 years). That is the schedule at the moment, subject to change.
    Thanks for your response.That means less opportunities for overseas doctors?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for your response.That means less opportunities for overseas doctors?
    Not necessarily. Overseas doctors (depending on the circumstances) sometimes are only allowed to apply in Round 2 - make sure you check the eligibility criteria.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. Overseas doctors (depending on the circumstances) sometimes are only allowed to apply in Round 2 - make sure you check the eligibility criteria.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes.I have read about that.But at this moment,how hard is it for an IMG to get an entry level job(FY 2/equivalent) in NHS?I have been told by seniors that the are serious shortages of doctors in NHS&it’s quite easy to find a job.Is this true? I’m sorry if am being silly but I just want to make sure that I don’t fall for any hype before investing my time&resources in the whole thing.I hope you understand 🙂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes.I have read about that.But at this moment,how hard is it for an IMG to get an entry level job(FY 2/equivalent) in NHS?I have been told by seniors that the are serious shortages of doctors in NHS&it’s quite easy to find a job.Is this true? I’m sorry if am being silly but I just want to make sure that I don’t fall for any hype before investing my time&resources in the whole thing.I hope you understand 🙂
    In terms of "training jobs" it may be harder to find a standalone FY2 but it is certainly possible. Avoid places that will be competitive like London, Thames Valley etc. and you should be able to find a job.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of "training jobs" it may be harder to find a standalone FY2 but it is certainly possible. Avoid places that will be competitive like London, Thames Valley etc. and you should be able to find a job.
    Thanks a lot.You have been really helpful.Thanks again.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.