Turn on thread page Beta

In theory, if I did f1 in the uk to receive a full medical degree after university (also in the uk), then i got a place in a residency program in the us (eg. paediatrics), if i came back to the uk after completing residency would i automatically be a consultant or would i have to go through training again?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In theory, if I did f1 in the uk to receive a full medical degree after university (also in the uk), then i got a place in a residency program in the us (eg. paediatrics), if i came back to the uk after completing residency would i automatically be a consultant or would i have to go through training again?
    You would need to get recognition of your training overseas by the approproate post-graduate board here (e.g. JRCPTB for medical specialties). Why would you want to do that though? Competition in the US is by no means less than the UK, and you would have to take extra exam(s) to train in the US. What specialty are you thinking about?

thanks!! ive always wanted to live in different countries, and california has always been somewhere i wanted it live. ik it'll be a massive challange, but a girl can only try
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanks!! ive always wanted to live in different countries, and california has always been somewhere i wanted it live. ik it'll be a massive challange, but a girl can only try
    Yes of course. Are you already in medical school or are a doctor already? I would recommend taking your USMLE first parts early (i.e. in medical school) because they are very much testing your pre-clinical knowledge. It would be worthwhile reading about the tests.

Have you thought about other countries? Perhaps train in this country but consider taking a gap year to work in places like Australia or New Zealand (much more popular options for UK graduates)?

I don't mean to sound rude, but this sounds a little bit naïve. Americans always put their graduates first and foremost, which means you will have very little choice over your location, so you can't decide to go to California and definitely end up there. You will most likely end up somewhere rural. Additionally you will have to take extra exams to get to the US (and score highly enough on USMLE to get your chosen specialty), and then go through even more formalities upon a return to the UK. It's possible, but a route full of hardships!

If you wanted to move to America full stop, then that's a bit different. But knowing you'll want to come back, just to live in one city for a bit, why oh why?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't mean to sound rude, but this sounds a little bit naïve. Americans always put their graduates first and foremost, which means you will have very little choice over your location, so you can't decide to go to California and definitely end up there. You will most likely end up somewhere rural. Additionally you will have to take extra exams to get to the US (and score highly enough on USMLE to get your chosen specialty), and then go through even more formalities upon a return to the UK. It's possible, but a route full of hardships!

If you wanted to move to America full stop, then that's a bit different. But knowing you'll want to come back, just to live in one city for a bit, why oh why?
    Yes agreed, which is why I tried to steer the OP towards taking a gap year and travelling / working, just like many other UK graduates do. However if you do want to move there, then feel free to ask (here? I don't think there are many doctors practising in the US roaming on TSR).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.