Turn on thread page Beta

Is it ok to apply for music at uni when I have no instrument skill watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a music producer in the future, and I make music through FL Studio 12 and I'm on the last year of my college course and want to go to uni but the only thing that interests me is music, since I want to become a music producer, but I have no skills in any instruments. Is it ok to apply for a music course at uni even without any skill in instruments, or are instruments at uni for music not vital. Plus the courses im looking at are electronic music courses (Like the Electronic Music course at Staffordshire) and it sounds like you don't need and instrument but still bit scared that I might actually need to know how to play an instrument for the course.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by randomlmao)
    I want to become a music producer in the future, and I make music through FL Studio 12 and I'm on the last year of my college course and want to go to uni but the only thing that interests me is music, since I want to become a music producer, but I have no skills in any instruments. Is it ok to apply for a music course at uni even without any skill in instruments, or are instruments at uni for music not vital. Plus the courses im looking at are electronic music courses (Like the Electronic Music course at Staffordshire) and it sounds like you don't need and instrument but still bit scared that I might actually need to know how to play an instrument for the course.
    Just ring and ask. I expect so as long as yu cna show why you are motivated to apply for the course and give some evidence.

Have you also looked at what BIMM offer?
    http://www.bimm.co.uk/
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by randomlmao)
    Hi @randomlmao

I would recommend looking on the university websites at their entry requirements. Each university will offer a different music course with different entry requirements. For example, we offer a Music BA Hons where you would need at least ABRSM Grade 5 theory. However, we also offer a popular music course which does not require any instrument related entry requirements.

If you can't find this information from the university web pages you may wish to contact them directly by sending them an email or giving them a call.

I hope this helps
    Ruth

ReputationRep:
    idk if this is too far away for you, but in Scotland we have two music degrees;

BMus - Bachelor of Music: this is usually what conservatoires like RCS market as their undergrad degree. However it is also a degree at universities like Edinburgh and Glasgow and (i think) Aberdeen where applicants are normally interviewed/ auditioned. Prior music knowledge is critical.

MA (Music) - Master of Arts: Idk if you know this already but this isn't an actual 'masters' degree, its an undergrad qualification. It's what most Scottish universities offer for Arts or Social Sci (A 'real' masters progression would be, BMus/ MA (Music) -> MMus or MA (English lit) -> MLitt). For a Music MA no instrumental background is required but I would reccommend taking ABRSM grade 5 theory for a competitive application.
    I should also tell you Scottish MAs are not the same as English BAs as you have to take 3 subjects (inc Music) in 1st and 2nd year (with at least half being within the College of Arts) before you progress to honours level (3rd and 4th year) where you just study music. All Scottish undergrad degrees are 4 years btw.

For Music production I would also maybe recommend looking at Electronics with Music courses? Although I think you have to audition too for some of them.

ReputationRep:
    Just to follow up on that it looks like Edinburgh Uni has just withdrawn its MA Music course :/
    Glasgow still offers it though?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.