Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have been offered a conditional offer to study midwifery in september. We have 4 children, my husband works part time so that I can study and our income is topped up by universal credits. I am unsure how things will work with student finance and maintenance allowences etc and wheter it will be financially fisable.
    I have heard I have to apply for everything as universal credits will take off the assumed amount we would be entitle too.
    How would I be able to find an estimate of what we could be entitle too?
    Many thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by elflin86)
    Hello, I have been offered a conditional offer to study midwifery in september. We have 4 children, my husband works part time so that I can study and our income is topped up by universal credits. I am unsure how things will work with student finance and maintenance allowences etc and wheter it will be financially fisable.
    I have heard I have to apply for everything as universal credits will take off the assumed amount we would be entitle too.
    How would I be able to find an estimate of what we could be entitle too?
    Many thanks
    Hi elflin86,

If you wish to know how much funding you maybe eligible to receive from Student Finance . I would suggest that you use the Student Finance Calculator online.

Here is the below link.

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

I would suggest that you contact your local DWP or benefits office to be advised on how your benefits will be effect by receiving Student Finance.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you. I have done unfortunately they aren't much help. Plus everyone has said the calculator is really off. Giving a much higher amount than one would actually receive . Is there anywhere that shows the way the maintenance loan and childcare grant is worked out?
    Thank you again
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi elflin86,

If you wish to know how much funding you maybe eligible to receive from Student Finance . I would suggest that you use the Student Finance Calculator online.

Here is the below link.

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

I would suggest that you contact your local DWP or benefits office to be advised on how your benefits will be effect by receiving Student Finance.

Thanks

Louise
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi thank you. I have done unfortunately they aren't much help. Plus everyone has said the calculator is really off. Giving a much higher amount than one would actually receive . Is there anywhere that shows the way the maintenance loan and childcare grant is worked out?
    Thank you again
    Hi elflin86,

I'm afraid there is not a calculator for childcare, and will only be advised your full entitlement when you make the application and the processing department assess your full entitlement.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my aplogies for another question. I have applied for a student maintenace loan. But I am unsure of what evidence I need to send in to support it. I didn't have an income in year 2016/2017. My husband did and he had logged in to support my application and entered his income 2016/2017 from his P60. Does he need to send that in? Our income dropped dramatically in september 2016 so it isn't the same income as we have had since then.
    So what evidence should i send in?
    I am sending birth certificates for my children and a child benfit letter.
    Also why do I need to reconfirm my ID each time I take out student finance? I haven't changed!! I only done it in september.
    Many thanks Kind regards Carly.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello, my aplogies for another question. I have applied for a student maintenace loan. But I am unsure of what evidence I need to send in to support it. I didn't have an income in year 2016/2017. My husband did and he had logged in to support my application and entered his income 2016/2017 from his P60. Does he need to send that in? Our income dropped dramatically in september 2016 so it isn't the same income as we have had since then.
    So what evidence should i send in?
    I am sending birth certificates for my children and a child benfit letter.
    Also why do I need to reconfirm my ID each time I take out student finance? I haven't changed!! I only done it in september.
    Many thanks Kind regards Carly.
    Hi elflin86,

If you begin a new course we will ask for identity and eligibility evidence, when you are a continuing student we will not ask to see it again as already validated in the first year.

Only your husbands income is required for the tax year 2016-2017, we do not at this stage require evidence, as we will electronically validate this with HMRC.

We do not look at student earned income and only ask on the application, if you have any unearned income.

If the household income of your husband has fallen from the income provided by at least fifteen percent, you can be ask to be reassessed on the lower income.

To do that we will ask that your husband also complete a Current Year Income Assessment form, with projected income for the tax year 2018 -2019

Here is a link to locate the form,

http://bit.ly/1hErcvL

You can also contact NHS, although the NHS Bursary will no longer be available to new Nursing, Midwifery and AHP students, there may be additional funding available through the NHS for these students.

Thanks Rona

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.